Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Installing new motor mounts this weekend, looks like I don't have to remove the OFA?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Installing new motor mounts this weekend, looks like I don't have to remove the OFA?

I am installing new Brown Dog motor mounts this weekend and I was just reading up on the how to do it, which looks like I am supposed to remove the oil filter adapter in the process. I just crawled underneath it and took a look and from what I can see, it looks like the OFA is not blocking the motor mount bolt removal. Is this possible?

I took a pic, but it is hard to see the clearance from my angle. The way I took the pic, it doesn't look like it will clear the OFA. I cant get a proper pic to show what I am talking about. I am pretty sure it will clear it. It looks like the bolt sits higher than the OFA and filter. Could I be right? Is it possible the OP turned the OFA so its not in the way? Would it be alright when I put the new mount in to put the bolt in with the nut facing the back (in case I need to do this again in the future)?

Upon further inspection, it looks like the head of the bolt may not clear the oil filter (which is a larger diameter than the OFA). I took a ball point pen and it is roughly the same length as the bolt and it looks like it might barely touch the filter. I think I can do the whole thing without removing the OFA, only removing/replacing the filter (and an oil change). My OFA looks clean and I don't see any old leaking from it (PO said he replaced the OFA before he sold it to me).

I notice a drip forming on the back of the oil pan/front of the trans housing and it looks a little wet above it. Is that my main seal leaking?

What say you???

Last edited by WiKDMoNKY; 04-02-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:59 PM

Anyone??
Old 04-02-2015, 08:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

No need to remove the OFA to change the motor mounts (assuming you aren't replacing the engine side brackets too, if you are I'm not sure if you need to remove the OFA or not), though if your OFA is leaking this would be a great time to change the O-rings (with the engine mount loose/removed you can jack the engine up slightly to get the necessary clearance for a torx socket/breaker bar rather than making tools or using a torx-bit in a box-end wrench).
Old 04-03-2015, 12:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6

On my '91, I didn't remove it but I did loosen and rotate it so my bolt would clear. When I had the bolt back in, I put it back the way it was.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:19 AM

I've seen pictures of OFA's pointing to the rear and some pointing straight up. Which direction is your pointing? When I re-install the passenger side motor mount I am going to flip the bolt around so the nut is on the back (unless there is a reason not to) in case I ever have to mess with again or decide to get the Brown Dog motor mount brackets.

Originally Posted by scottmphoto
On my '91, I didn't remove it but I did loosen and rotate it so my bolt would clear. When I had the bolt back in, I put it back the way it was.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't remove the OFA to change my motor mounts. I did everything left in place. I didn't have a stock air box since I'm running cowl intake so that made it much easier to do. As far as OFA direction, mine is pointing to the rear of the vehicle. I have a 96 4.0 AW4
Old 04-03-2015, 07:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

Some Cherokees have the oil filter adapter facing up, others it's sideways.

Bolt cleared the ofa on my 99 no problem when I changed the motor mounts.

If it does hit just unbolt the whole mount from the frame and jack the motor up.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:01 AM

Excellent idea!

Originally Posted by MonacaYankee
Some Cherokees have the oil filter adapter facing up, others it's sideways.

Bolt cleared the ofa on my 99 no problem when I changed the motor mounts.

If it does hit just unbolt the whole mount from the frame and jack the motor up.