Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Input on Seafoam.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Input on Seafoam.

Ok I have searched read the threads and seems like alot of "I have heard or I have seen" without any personal experience. I bought some seafoam and would like to hear if you personally have had a problem after you used it. I have read 1 thread were it seemed that was the case and it was the o2 sensor.

1. What problem you had.
2. Mileage and condition before.

Thanks
Old 09-14-2012, 08:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive used it numErous times in gas and through the brake booster vac supply line. no problems.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:06 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by freddy
ive used it numErous times in gas and through the brake booster vac supply line. no problems.
X2. I have used other injector cleaners. Seafoam seems to work the best. I got better gas millage better idle. I Would recommend it to anyone.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by BigzXJ
X2. I have used other injector cleaners. Seafoam seems to work the best. I got better gas millage better idle. I Would recommend it to anyone.
That is the idea that I am forming also just seems like all of the negative comments are not based on personal experience just theory and hearsay.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:16 PM

Year: 1994

Originally Posted by Rearwardassist

That is the idea that I am forming also just seems like all of the negative comments are not based on personal experience just theory and hearsay.
I like to run it every couple of months in the gas. And I have also put it in my vacuum line. Made a lot of smoke but helped with an idle problem I had.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by BigzXJ
I like to run it every couple of months in the gas. And I have also put it in my vacuum line. Made a lot of smoke but helped with an idle problem I had.
That is what I am thinking of doing. I dont have any idle problems now, how long have you been using it?
Old 09-14-2012, 09:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6

94 XJ, 4.0, 271,000-ish miles. I run Seafoam every couple of months. I put 1/3 can through the intake and 2/3 in the gas tank. Mine doesn't smoke much anymore after I let it sit then restart it. I'm guessing cause the carbon and stuff doesn't have time to build up anymore.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 Power Tech

I can't say about running it through your tank, but as far as carbon deposits go, just think about it, your cleaning with a product made from oil? There is already oil in your engine and its dirty so whats that tell ya. For everyone who has ever went camping and cooked hashbrowns in a pan with oil, what did you use to clean the stuck on potatoes with? Yup water, not more oil. I had some carbon build up on an engine before and bought some seafoam to get rid of it, I looked in the sparkplug holes before and after using seafoam, poured it down an intake tube slowly with the motor running just like they say and guess what, it looked the same, sure it smoked like crazy, your pouring oil down your intake, but when I used tap water the same way, I shot carbon chunks 6 feet out the tail pipe! So using it in your tank as injector cleaner/lube Im not sure, but for carbon build up save your money.

Last edited by 88 Ex Jay; 09-15-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:56 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

I love seafoam, I run a full can in the tank about 3-4 times a year, and run it thru the brake booster vacuum line about 2x a year. Have never had a problem with it. Some people say you can put in your oil and then run it for a little bit (like 10min) then change the oil to clean out the lubrication system. But I was with a buddy when he did that on his Chevy truck, and it took the engine out.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by 88 Ex Jay
I can't say about running it through your tank, but as far as carbon deposits go, just think about it, your cleaning with a product made from oil? There is already oil in your engine and its dirty so whats that tell ya. For everyone who has ever went camping and cooked hashbrowns in a pan with oil, what did you use to clean the stuck on potatoes with? Yup water, not more oil. I had some carbon build up on an engine before and bought some seafoam to get rid of it, I looked in the sparkplug holes before and after using seafoam, poured it down an intake tube slowly with the motor running just like they say and guess what, it looked the same, sure it smoked like crazy, your pouring oil down your intake, but when I used tap water the same way, I shot carbon chunks 6 feet out the tail pipe! So using it in your tank as injector cleaner/lube Im not sure, but for carbon build up save your money.
So you ran water through your intake?
Old 09-15-2012, 02:46 AM

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by 88 Ex Jay
but when I used tap water the same way, I shot carbon chunks 6 feet out the tail pipe!
Old 09-15-2012, 02:56 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

I have seen it done before in extreme cases where the carbon build up is causing running issues or noise.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:44 AM

Year: 1996

I also use seafoam regularly. When used correctly it works as it supposed to. I am also a member of team-Integra.net...my other car is a 92 da. One guy on there pulled the head off his 1.8 and snapped a few pictures of the carbon build up. Threw it all back together and ran seafoam just like the instructions. Then took the head off once again and took more pictures. Carbon was probably 80% gone. I was sold on it after that. I used it before but never really knew how well it could work untill I seen the pictures. I think its one of the best products out there. I use it in my vehicles, lawn mower, and weed eater. Always seems to work. I have used it in my oil before. But like mentioned before, don't leave it in too long. It will destroy your rubber o rings and gaskets. It's great for breaking up sludge though. A few years back I had a 93 Lexus with the Toyota "sludge" motor. Ran sea foam through the oil right after an oil change. Only put about 30 miles on the car then changed the oil again. It was black as black could be. I was amazed. Car ran better, sounded better, and oil stayed clean past 1500-2000 unlike before. So I guess you can say I highly recommend seafoam. I have lots of experience. And only good things to say.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:08 AM

Year: 1997

I will echo all of the positive comments about seafoam. I have used it for years. Always in the gas until last year. I then added it to the intake on my newly purchased '88 Wrangler which has an AMC 360 in it that was running a little rough. It smoked like Hell and I could see carbon on the ground behind the exhaust. It ran amazingly better. I then did it to all of my other vehicles. Not as much smoke but as I said they had been used to getting the seafoam through the Gas tank. I used it in my little Cherokee and she smoked pretty good and the idle was much smoother afterwards. I am a little leary of using it in the oil, but then again I use synthetic or synthetic blend and change the oil religiously in all of my vehicles.
Just my $.02 worth
Old 09-15-2012, 07:10 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

You sure can. Old mechanic's trick and it works real well for removing carbon deposits. Some specific procedures must be followed.

Quick Reply: Input on Seafoam.