Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

imeing Chain!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Straight 6
Default imeing Chain!!

Have you ever trouble with the timeing chain? Also whats the best way to check it? Anything will help and if you have questions just ask!!
Old 04-20-2010, 08:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I had the Doctor check my imeing chain, he gave me some pills for it. He checked it with his finger, he left his class ring on though.
You can check the timing chain by taking the distributor cap off, turn the crank clockwise by hand one half turn and then mark where the rotor is and mark the crank at 12 oclock. Now turn the crank counter clockwise and watch the rotor. The rotor should move as soon as the crank is turned, if it does not, mark the crank at 12 oclock again once the rotor starts to move. That will kind of give you an idea of how much slack is in the chain. To really check it correctly, you'll have to remove the timing cover and measure the chain deflection. Might as well replace it if you gone that far though.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
I had the Doctor check my imeing chain, he gave me some pills for it. He checked it with his finger, he left his class ring on though.
You can check the timing chain by taking the distributor cap off, turn the crank clockwise by hand one half turn and then mark where the rotor is and mark the crank at 12 oclock. Now turn the crank counter clockwise and watch the rotor. The rotor should move as soon as the crank is turned, if it does not, mark the crank at 12 oclock again once the rotor starts to move. That will kind of give you an idea of how much slack is in the chain. To really check it correctly, you'll have to remove the timing cover and measure the chain deflection. Might as well replace it if you gone that far though.
Do you got any pictures of showing me how to do this?
Old 04-20-2010, 09:08 PM
CF Veteran

I can't help you there.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:31 PM

what trouble are you having and why do you suspect the timing chain?
Old 04-20-2010, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Throttle Jockey
what trouble are you having and why do you suspect the timing chain?
well i have a friend thats a mechanic helping with me and i put a new distubtor in and it started right up and now it wont start at all, and it wont let me get the timeing right on it now. So they think the chain might of skipped or is lose in there. Any ideas will be greatful appreciated!!
Old 04-20-2010, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L Rebuilt Renix "Low Output" haha

I just did my timing chain today on my 89 4.0. The biggest thing to worry about is the two marks on the camshaft and crankshaft have to line up perfectly. i found its much easier to assemble the sprockets and chain first, then put it on the engine. x2 on replacing it. Its a good idea, especially on older Cherokees. Did you even remove your timing chain? If you just replaced the distributor and didn't mess with the timing chain, and it ran before, the distributor might be the issue. Just one tooth off from the cam gear can cause issues.... just my two cents... don't know if its much help, and your probably all ready knew all of this, but just throwing it out there lol.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by goneboating06
I just did my timing chain today on my 89 4.0. The biggest thing to worry about is the two marks on the camshaft and crankshaft have to line up perfectly. i found its much easier to assemble the sprockets and chain first, then put it on the engine. x2 on replacing it. Its a good idea, especially on older Cherokees. Did you even remove your timing chain? If you just replaced the distributor and didn't mess with the timing chain, and it ran before, the distributor might be the issue. Just one tooth off from the cam gear can cause issues.... just my two cents... don't know if its much help, and your probably all ready knew all of this, but just throwing it out there lol.
It is 89 4.0L too. no i have not removed my timeing chain at all. Just wanted to get ideas on the best way to do this. I put the distrubtor in once and it ran for a day and went back out to try to start it next day and it would not start. We have tried million of times to get the timeing back just right but we cant. So were thinking it skipped and is off timeing.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:39 AM

Engine: 4.0L Rebuilt Renix "Low Output" haha

I think it would be a good idea to pull the timing cover off.... It will tell you a lot about what is going on with the timing. A worn out, or stretched chain can cause some issues. While you have everything apart its a very good idea to replace the chain and sprockets, i highly recommend it. You can just buy a timing set and it will come with the chain, and both sprockets, its not terribly expensive. With a new timing chain your engine will run better, smoother, and start quicker. Now in order to get to the timing chain i found it easier to remove the radiator, belt, and fan which only took me about 15-20 minutes. Keep in mind that the alternator will also have to be removed to get the timing case off. The harmonic balancer will have to be pulled off, and its easy with a puller. On my Cherokee i found that the balancer actually slid into my timing case so i had to replace the balancer and timing cover. The rest after that is very easy. A few bolts around the timing cover, a light tap with a hammer, and its off. Parts: A timing set is around 50 bucks (and its worth it) and the gasket set for the timing cover (that includes the gasket, front seal, and bottom oil pan seal) is around 10 bucks. You might have all ready known all this, so sorry if you did. But, if you have any more questions, or need any other pics, or anything P/M me, and ill hook you up! Good luck
Old 04-21-2010, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by goneboating06
I think it would be a good idea to pull the timing cover off.... It will tell you a lot about what is going on with the timing. A worn out, or stretched chain can cause some issues. While you have everything apart its a very good idea to replace the chain and sprockets, i highly recommend it. You can just buy a timing set and it will come with the chain, and both sprockets, its not terribly expensive. With a new timing chain your engine will run better, smoother, and start quicker. Now in order to get to the timing chain i found it easier to remove the radiator, belt, and fan which only took me about 15-20 minutes. Keep in mind that the alternator will also have to be removed to get the timing case off. The harmonic balancer will have to be pulled off, and its easy with a puller. On my Cherokee i found that the balancer actually slid into my timing case so i had to replace the balancer and timing cover. The rest after that is very easy. A few bolts around the timing cover, a light tap with a hammer, and its off. Parts: A timing set is around 50 bucks (and its worth it) and the gasket set for the timing cover (that includes the gasket, front seal, and bottom oil pan seal) is around 10 bucks. You might have all ready known all this, so sorry if you did. But, if you have any more questions, or need any other pics, or anything P/M me, and ill hook you up! Good luck
Thanks man that should help me out alot!!
Old 04-21-2010, 01:00 PM
CF Veteran

Are you even getting any spark? Check for spark and fuel pressure before you start ripping into this engine and start throwing parts at it. Diagnos before replacing a bunch of stuff you think may be the problem.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:11 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: H.O. 4.0 I6

Do they sell timing gears, like a Pete Jackson style setup? Like the ones they put in GM small blocks, the ones that whine and sound like a blower? Sorry to threadjack, but was curious if they do, I've always wanted one, and have heard they're much more reliable than the typical timing chain.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:48 PM
CF Veteran

Year: Jeepless at the moment

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Are you even getting any spark? Check for spark and fuel pressure before you start ripping into this engine and start throwing parts at it. Diagnos before replacing a bunch of stuff you think may be the problem.
X2 there are more things than timing to cause a XJ to not start, CPS , fuel pressure, usually if the timing is off then usually the motor will start but run rough.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:29 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

I agree with the last couple posters. Check for spark. Even if the timing is fudged up u will still have spark. If you don't have any spark then something else is wrong. Don't want to spend cash that you don't have to
Old 04-21-2010, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by tiwvr1
I agree with the last couple posters. Check for spark. Even if the timing is fudged up u will still have spark. If you don't have any spark then something else is wrong. Don't want to spend cash that you don't have to
But I am getting spark though!!