Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Ignition switch won't turn

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Ignition switch won't turn

Well, not exactly. I can get it to turn but only after some real praying. It's been getting more and more difficult recently. This morning I began to think I wasn't going to be able to leave for work.
Right now I'm leaving the key in the run position because I'm too scurred I won't be able to turn it one more time.
My question is: do I need an entire switch or a new tumbler and key? I'm so dumb about ignition I'm not really sure what question to ask, but what I want is the cheapest, easiest solution.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:15 PM

Ok, I did more research and it seems that all I need to do is replace the cylinder.
I just ordered one from Amazon.
Now we wait.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:37 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Whats the key look like? Ive seen real rounded off warn down keys that don't work very well at engaging the teeth. Feels like its stuck or wont turn and went it does turn it scraps making it hard to turn..

But if the keys look nice and clean cuts.. Them more then likely you made the right call.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dumajones
Whats the key look like? Ive seen real rounded off warn down keys that don't work very well at engaging the teeth. Feels like its stuck or wont turn and went it does turn it scraps making it hard to turn..

But if the keys look nice and clean cuts.. Them more then likely you made the right call.
I was hoping it was the latter so I switched to a new key. It worked at first but no, it won't turn either, now. It's not gritty, it simply will not turn once I put the key in ignition unless I hold my mouth right. This cylinder I'm getting can be keyed (?) to my set of keys fairly easily it seems so I'm hoping to make a victory post in a few days.
edit: I'm not certain I made this clear. Once it turns it's great, no problem. The issue is in getting it to turn initially once the key is inserted.

Last edited by BrawnyDog; 10-04-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:02 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Originally Posted by BrawnyDog
unless I hold my mouth right.

Ive been there.. Well it sounds as if you did the right call.
Im not sure if it comes with new keys or you need some cut..
Anyways Hope all works out.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dumajones

Ive been there.. Well it sounds as if you did the right call.
Im not sure if it comes with new keys or you need some cut..
Anyways Hope all works out.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002WH7B0G/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

According to the reviews you can change the pins to fit whatever key you have.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97

Great knowledge being shared here! and there could be another problem source. Does the 99 have a steering wheel lock? Could it be that the steering wheel/ignition lock assembly is gunked up? Could it be hanging up? Does they key turn easier if you wiggle the steering wheel at the same time?

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 10-04-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
Great knowledge being shared here! and there could be another problem source. Does the 99 have a steering wheel lock? Could it be that the steering wheel/ignition lock assembly is gunked up? Could it be hanging up? Does they key turn easier if you wiggle the steering wheel at the same time?
if it has the wheel lock I've never engaged it. As far as wiggling the steering wheel you better believe I wiggled, I cajoled, I let the expletives fly, then I prayed, eventually I got it to work this morning which was the worst, but not the first, incident of keyinignitionbutnoturning induced anxiety.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97

Originally Posted by BrawnyDog
if it has the wheel lock I've never engaged it. As far as wiggling the steering wheel you better believe I wiggled, I cajoled, I let the expletives fly, then I prayed, eventually I got it to work this morning which was the worst, but not the first, incident of keyinignitionbutnoturning induced anxiety.
Lol, got it... Had to ask because they do wear out or get gummed up. I've had to remove the tumbler cylinder assembly and use a screwdriver to start it until I could get a new cylinder myself a few times. But I was not where I had to worry about someone stealing it.