Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help with front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 12:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: HO4.0 I6
Default Help with front suspension

hey guys. 96 xj with 155k and 2" lift.

i'm having some suspension issues and am replacing parts. I bought new ball joints, u-joints, and wheel hubs. Figured these needed to be replaced as a general maintenance.

I also need some help with other parts of my steering as I am not familiar with this. should the components of the tie rod be able to rotate when wheels are lifted off the ground? No major movement but I am able to rotate it. And also, should I have this gap here in the pitman arm?
Old 09-29-2017, 12:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Everything sounds and looks normal. What suspension issues?
Old 09-29-2017, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by EZEARL
Everything sounds and looks normal. What suspension issues?
When I turn right I hear a popping noise and can feel it directly under my feet in the floor boards.

And no no I am running into the issue of my 12 point wheel hub bolts being stripped.... what now!!!!
Old 09-29-2017, 04:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

You can try banging on a 1/2 inch socket, but if they are truly rounded off this probably won't work. I was able to do it on a couple of mine (1/2 is just slightly smaller than 13mm).

Otherwise, you got to the auto parts store and look for Irwin extraction sockets. Most places have them, they are special sockets that bite down on to the bolt head when turned counter-clockwise (the loosening direction). The harder you turn, the more they bight into the bolt head, regardless of how rounded off they are. I was able to do the remainder of my hub bolts with these. Then of course, the bolts should be replaced.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
You can try banging on a 1/2 inch socket, but if they are truly rounded off this probably won't work. I was able to do it on a couple of mine (1/2 is just slightly smaller than 13mm).

Otherwise, you got to the auto parts store and look for Irwin extraction sockets. Most places have them, they are special sockets that bite down on to the bolt head when turned counter-clockwise (the loosening direction). The harder you turn, the more they bight into the bolt head, regardless of how rounded off they are. I was able to do the remainder of my hub bolts with these. Then of course, the bolts should be replaced.
I was able to get them off by pounding a 12mm socket onto them.

Now ow I am stuck trying to replace my ball joints. I have them out, but I am having a hard time pressing them both in straight. I have rented the press from autozone but they keep wanting to go in cockeyed. Any tips?
Old 10-04-2017, 10:46 AM

Default Replaced parts but stilll have noise

so my originally issue is still present after replacing parts.

I was experiencing a popping/grinding noise while turning right (thought that would be a U-joint) and then also when I quickly come to a stop from low speeds.

I have replaced
Upper and Lower ball joints
front axle U-Joints
wheel hubs
drag link
TRE's
steering stabilizer.

I can feel this popping through the floor board and really want to handle this before more damage is done. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:36 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Get the front end up off the ground,, use a jack,a magic spell. Have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you turn the front tire by hand on the side you think its happening at. See if you can replicate the noise or feeling.
you might even feel it in your hands while turning the tire.

Also check your lower front shock bushing for play with a large screwdriver or whatever. See if the shock moves up and down at the bushing, those can make a pop over any little bump.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:40 PM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Have you checked your control arm bushings? The frame-side control arm mounts are pretty much right under your feet.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Basslicks
Have you checked your control arm bushings? The frame-side control arm mounts are pretty much right under your feet.
what would be signs of bushing failure with the control arms? Just splitting of the bushing? Or do I need to take them off to inspect them?
Old 10-04-2017, 11:57 PM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by xj guy
what would be signs of bushing failure with the control arms? Just splitting of the bushing? Or do I need to take them off to inspect them?
Cracking or splitting. But unbolting them to inspect the bolt and bushing sleeve is a good idea too. Rust will cause that popping sound. The bolts being too loose can too.

You need to do what Duma suggested in the post above as well though.