Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Ignition Buzzer Issues

Old 10-11-2014, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Ignition Buzzer Issues

Hi all, this is my first time posting but I'm no stranger to the forum. Bought my first XJ about a year ago and have extensively used this forum to get it where it is today. I have been meaning to join up to start a build thread but have been busy with a new house and never ending car projects.

What brings me to post today is the first issue I've had that I haven't been able to dig anything up on using Google or the search function for. What's happening is when I go to start my Jeep the buzzer that indicates a door is open or the lights are on will buzz for about the first 5 seconds after the engine has started before it will turn off. So far it doesn't seem that it is affecting anything else but it is annoying and I'd like to fix it. Has anyone else experienced this? My jeep is a 1994 with the 4.0L and an Ax-15. It has keyless entry, power windows, and power locks.. Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by vank
Hi all, this is my first time posting but I'm no stranger to the forum. Bought my first XJ about a year ago and have extensively used this forum to get it where it is today. I have been meaning to join up to start a build thread but have been busy with a new house and never ending car projects.

What brings me to post today is the first issue I've had that I haven't been able to dig anything up on using Google or the search function for. What's happening is when I go to start my Jeep the buzzer that indicates a door is open or the lights are on will buzz for about the first 5 seconds after the engine has started before it will turn off. So far it doesn't seem that it is affecting anything else but it is annoying and I'd like to fix it. Has anyone else experienced this? My jeep is a 1994 with the 4.0L and an Ax-15. It has keyless entry, power windows, and power locks.. Any help is appreciated.
Does it 'buzz' with the door closed, key out of the ignition, and headlights off?
Old 10-12-2014, 01:35 PM

No it does not. It starts buzzing when the key is put in the ignition and turned into the on position even if not started. It buzzes for anywhere from 3-10 seconds (not consistent) and then stops.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:46 PM
CF Veteran

Fiddle with the seat belt. Pull it in and out (attach) when the buzzer is going off.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:21 PM

So you have to explain this. Key on, buzzer turns on, plug in seat belt, buzzer turns off, unplug seat belt buzzer turns on.. I don't get it. There doesn't appear to be any wiring going to the seatbelt. Is it some kind of grounding thing? Why wasn't this happening before?
Old 10-12-2014, 02:52 PM
CF Veteran

So you have to explain this. Key on, buzzer turns on, plug in seat belt, buzzer turns off, unplug seat belt buzzer turns on.. I don't get it. There doesn't appear to be any wiring going to the seatbelt. Is it some kind of grounding thing? Why wasn't this happening before?
The system design is that the buzzer will sound if the driver's seat belt is not fastened before turning the key to run. There is a swtch connected to the seat belt latch. A two wire connection under the driver's seat. A Black wire and a Light Green wire...look for it.

When the switch is open the chime module will not get a completed circuit through the switch and it will trigger the buzzer. The switch makes a ground.

Why it never happen before, I don't know.

Keep your lap belt/shoulder harness fastened before starting your engine, and while driving.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:11 PM

I appreciate the help, still curious why it only just started doing that now. I haven't even touched the electrical in a while.. Wish every issue was just that simple.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:52 PM
CF Veteran

I appreciate the help, still curious why it only just started doing that now. I haven't even touched the electrical in a while.. Wish every issue was just that simple.
The switch may hve been stuck closed, and is now working correctly.

Carry on.

Enjoy your Jeep.