Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Ideas for rear ash tray pre 96

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 04:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 302 Likes on 251 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Ideas for rear ash tray pre 96

I want to add a clean and functional usb charger where the ash tray is on the back of the center console for pre 96 XJs. I知 still new to wiring. I知 curious what other people have done with this space or if someone has done the same thing.

I might post in Cherokee chat

Last edited by Spencer_P; 05-01-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

I once left the key in the rear ashtray when leaving my Jeep at a shop overnight.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

I like the usb port idea. I might just look into that. I already have a hard-wire usb charger component that I haven't taken the time to install yet.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:10 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
I like the usb port idea. I might just look into that. I already have a hard-wire usb charger component that I haven't taken the time to install yet.
let me know if you put one in. I値l likely go that route when I get all my interior reinstalled
Old 05-01-2019, 02:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts
Year: 1995 RHD
Engine: 4.0l

I was also planning on adding a USB port in there. Mine rattles like crazy when stopped at lights or in traffic.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:28 PM
CF Veteran

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MODXVO8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=R30M0DNCDDFB&coliid=IHTOH127ZFUW2&pldnSite=1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MODXVO8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=R30M0DNCDDFB&coliid=IHTOH127ZFUW2&pldnSite=1

I think this would be really nice to install where the ash tray is but would probably have to make some form of a plate for it to mount to
Old 05-01-2019, 03:46 PM
CF Veteran

It just came back to me what I planned on doing. Put a USB port and an Aux port back there as I have a friend who has to lean forward with his phone for plugging into the radio. Then at the front end put another Aux port to then plug my lead in.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:26 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by boxburn
It just came back to me what I planned on doing. Put a USB port and an Aux port back there as I have a friend who has to lean forward with his phone for plugging into the radio. Then at the front end put another Aux port to then plug my lead in.
I壇 love to see some pictures if you end up doing it
Old 05-01-2019, 05:32 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Spencer_P
I壇 love to see some pictures if you end up doing it
I should hopefully have a 3D modelled file by tomorrow but probably not the cables to actually make it until next week. I'll be sure to post back though.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MODXVO8...UW2&pldnSite=1

I think this would be really nice to install where the ash tray is but would probably have to make some form of a plate for it to mount to
Ive got one of those on a solar generator project itll be too wide for the back of the center console. Depth will also been an issue. Those USB and 12v outlets are pretty long and will probably hit the center console storage box. The 2 hole unit would fit nicely width wise just not sure about depth.

Its on my list of things to do as well. When im camping it would be nice to have an outlet there. Even though i have another in the cargo area.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:46 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by downs
Ive got one of those on a solar generator project itll be too wide for the back of the center console. Depth will also been an issue. Those USB and 12v outlets are pretty long and will probably hit the center console storage box...
yeah I thought about that too. Could you tell me some more about how you put one in the cargo area? I know my way around the engine but haven稚 attempted any wiring yet.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

I know my way around the engine but haven’t attempted any wiring yet.
The first thing you need to know is your load. What are you going to power with your project? That will tell you how much current you will need, which will tell you what size wire you need, which will tell you what size fuse you need.

You must start by knowing your load.

When it doubt, go big.

Second, use proper tools and good quality components. This is no place to cheap out. Crappy vinyl connectors will bite you in the butt somewhere down the road. Use 3M nylon or equivalent. Get a GOOD crimper and learn how to use it properly. Don't just stick the connector in there any old way and mash down. That kind of crap is exactly why crimp connections have a bad reputation - people don't do it right. Crimp connections, done right, are preferred in marine applications, and are mil-spec in many applications where soldering is not permitted. Yeah, that's right. Properly done crimps are better than soldering.

Blue Sea Marine components are about the best out there.

Third, watch out for chafing points. Even though you are going to fuse your new circuit close to where you tap in for power, you don't want to have to redo it all because you are constantly blowing fuses. Use wire loom and rubber wire mounts as needed to make sure you don't have any hot wires rubbing through anywhere.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:42 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
The first thing you need to know is your load. What are you going to power with your project? That will tell you how much current you will need, which will tell you what size wire you need, which will tell you what size fuse you need.

You must start by knowing your load.

When it doubt, go big.

Second, use proper tools and good quality components. This is no place to cheap out. Crappy vinyl connectors will bite you in the butt somewhere down the road. Use 3M nylon or equivalent. Get a GOOD crimper and learn how to use it properly. Don't just stick the connector in there any old way and mash down. That kind of crap is exactly why crimp connections have a bad reputation - people don't do it right. Crimp connections, done right, are preferred in marine applications, and are mil-spec in many applications where soldering is not permitted. Yeah, that's right. Properly done crimps are better than soldering.

Blue Sea Marine components are about the best out there.

Third, watch out for chafing points. Even though you are going to fuse your new circuit close to where you tap in for power, you don't want to have to redo it all because you are constantly blowing fuses. Use wire loom and rubber wire mounts as needed to make sure you don't have any hot wires rubbing through anywhere.
thank you, I appreciate it. I will likely just be charging my phone, possibly a dashcam but I値l probably just run that from the front cigarette lighter
Old 05-02-2019, 07:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

Okay, that's very minimal amperage. Most cigarette lighter sockets are fused at 20 amps, so if you tap there, you'll probably want to fuse at something like 5 amps, and run 18 gauge wire.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:21 PM
CF Veteran

Just a quick pic, charger not wired yet but Aux works. I'll post more with it fully working soon.

Quick Reply: Ideas for rear ash tray pre 96