Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I have $3K to keep '92 XJ going through college, help me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question I have $3K to keep '92 XJ going through college, help me?

Howdy folks! I've been lurking on the forums for a while now, but this is my first post! I did some searching and I couldn't really find a direct answer to my questions, just so much information I didn't even know where to begin... So I was hoping you guys could help me sort out my priorities! So here's the story:

My mom bought me my first vehicle when I was 15 in 2005, a '92 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4 4.0L 4-door! I loved my Jeep and drove it kinda rough as a new driver, but was too ADHD to actually do anything fun to it other than regular maintenance. 3 years later I bought an '03 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT, so the Jeep got a little less love but my mom still drove it. Eventually, it came back into my possession and now I've been driving it at college for around a year now. I really haven't had much money to do anything crazy to it, but I was a good student this last year and now I have scholarships adding up to a little over $3000.

Since I never got around to doing anything to my bone stock Jeep, I think I would like to keep it that way at least another 2 years until the end of college. I would like to invest into making sure it lasts at least that long;I have no doubts it can. The only problem is that my step-dad looked at it, and said that the gasket between the engine and transmission has started to leak oil and will eventually need to be replaced (or something along those lines). So I figured since I'm gonna need to do engine work anyways, I should make sure anything and everything that is worth doing to help it last longer gets done in one fell swoop.

When we bought the Jeep, it had 80K miles, and over the years, I'm up to 150K now (actually might 20-30K low since the speedo was on the fritz for a while). What should I do to make sure my Jeep goes another 100K miles at least? I don't want to lift it or anything, and I have fresh tires. I also recently bought a '92 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L 5-speed for parts with no tires, starter, or steering column for $300 that I can pull some parts from if necessary.

And I just thought about this before posting, but I'm not ready to sell anything off the parts jeep yet. When I am ready and have a high enough post count I'll post it!

So in a nutshell: $3K to keep a 150K miles '92 XJ Laredo 4x4 4.0L Auto going another 100K with no lifts/trail upgrades. Gotta tear into it at least to replace the gasket between the engine and transmission. I have a '91 XJ Sport 4.0L 5-speed minus starter, steering column to pull parts from. What are my priorities?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997, 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Change all the fluids (coolant, transmission, transfer case, both differentials), brake and power steering.

Replace the rear main seal http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoRearMain.htm

That will be ~$100 total.

Put in an aftermarket wiring harness to prevent electrical fires.

Take $500 and put it in a savings account marked for auto repairs. Put the rest in an account marked for educational expenses and don't touch it unless you have to.

As a recent college grad (well grad school grad) trust me you'd be amazed how quickly your money disappears when you enter the "real" world.

I know that's not exactly the advice you are looking for but provided you do basic maintenance your XJ should easily go another 100K miles.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:20 PM

I appreciate the advice, I think you're dead on. I have just been in a situation where I have access to the resources and just want to keep this jeep as a daily driver. I think I will listen to your advice and keep on rolling with the regular maintenance. Thank you for the advice!
Old 02-10-2012, 01:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: Inline 6, 4.ol

I dont know where your located, but ill give you 350 for the tranny if your close and its in good condition. Give me dibs please! lol

On a side note. If your going to keep it stock the only thing I can think of would be to replace your rear axle with a 29 spline 8.25 out of a 97-01 cherokee. And replacing the rear leafs to, wouldnt surprise me if they are bottoming out. Mine were so bad before I lifted it that the driveshaft would ram my t-case..

Last edited by SuperGlue; 02-10-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

If nothing is broken and you don't want to add modifications, then no need to spend any money really other than the advice above! I'd also change filters too if they haven't been in a while. But other than that, save it! Hell, even invest it
Old 02-10-2012, 04:09 AM

Year: 2000 Limited
Engine: 4.0

Take it from an old guy, open a ROTH IRA and invset some of the money into a nice index fund. Use some of it to do the repairs listed above. Keep the rest handy for books and stuff like that. Good luck! JB

Amazon.com: Personal Finance in Your 20s For Dummies (9780470769058): Eric Tyson: Books Amazon.com: Personal Finance in Your 20s For Dummies (9780470769058): Eric Tyson: Books