Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

"In memorium" to my jeep as a project vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 01:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Unhappy "In memorium" to my jeep as a project vehicle.

So here's the official story, told chronologically. Yes I use ''s quite a bit. I'm using terms from their original context.
Part one:
About the eighth or so (I totally forget the exact date) while I was removing my rear swaybar, my dad 'informed' me that if I were to get the lift kit, it would place my vehicle in the 'high risk' category, along with 'placing all my vehicles in that category, which would drive up insurance by $300 a month on each one.' And well, he just couldn't afford that. So if I were to go through with the lift, I would have to pay for the insurance myself...a value he 'estimated' to be around $400/mo. Something a teenager making $150/wk just can't afford, especially with college peeping right around the corner. That afternoon, a very pissed off me called the insurance company to verify this. After about 5 minutes of being put on hold, a very confused insurance agent informed a very angry me that this would not effect the insurance ratesat all, and that all they would need is a copy of the recipts in order to add it to the vehicle's 'profile' in the case of a claim in which I am not liable (liability only insurance is great...).

Part two:
I figure maybe he's getting me a lift kit for christmas or something like that, so I decide to grin and wait it out to see if this is the case. Turns out it's not (See, my dad has this conceptualization going in his head where he gets me what he perceives I should want, with zero regard for what I actually want.). So that night, I tell him about me calling the insurance company to verify his load of horse s**t (no, I didn't say it like that. I left that last bit out.) and he says that he'll have to call the insurance company and double check. About this point and for some points prior, he begins ragging on me about 'those shocks were made by rancho suspension, and they're like $200 each, so if you want to go ahead and replace them with some lower quality shocks and downgrade, go right ahead.' If by lower quality he means replacing shocks that are 20 years old, then yes. They would be lower quality.

Part three:
He suggests that I should go look up rancho suspension components, little does he know they don't even MAKE parts for XJ's any more, but he insists that is the way to go. He was not at all on board with me doing a bastard pack. About this point in time, he informs me that he plans on trading my dearly beloved jeep (I pay for parts, I maintenance, I drive...mine.) for something 'safer.' ....words I fear. He wants me to drive something 'safer' after I graduate from college, and has no intention of handing the title of the vehicle over to me at any point in time; he made that very clear. Between this and him being the least supportive individual humanly possible about any upgrades I plan, I am bailing on this project in its entirety until I can afford my own vehicle and not deal with his rain of s**t.

Clarifications:
Him lying to me about things and putting them in extrema are not out of character for me. My father also has a very strong tendency to discourage me from pursuing ventures I want, the jeep is not the first and certainly won't be the last. I have made my desires to be the future owner of this XJ incredibly clear, and have done everything I could to make him understand that. Even when I call it 'my jeep' in front of him, he corrects me and insists I call it 'the jeep.'

My dad is an a**hole.
He is an alcoholic.
He is selfish.
He is a liar.
He uses marijuana.

I share no compassion for him at all, and time spent out of the house and away from him is time well spent.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:10 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.

Maybe he'll change his mind. Who knows, maybe he was drunk and wont ever remember telling you that stuff. Hopefully it turns out ok.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:15 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by offroadnut36
Maybe he'll change his mind. Who knows, maybe he was drunk and wont ever remember telling you that stuff. Hopefully it turns out ok.
Appreciate the sentiment, but I'm going to pursue other hobbies until a time when this lifestyle (no, jeeping is not a hobby) becomes more affordable and feasable.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:19 AM
CF Veteran

My dad yelled at me when he heard I bought my jeep, he kept telling me a 4wheeler would suit my needs better too. But now Im almost done fixing my jeep and I can rub it in his face. BTW how old are you?
Old 12-31-2008, 02:20 AM
CF Veteran

My dad yelled at me when he heard I bought my jeep, he kept telling me a 4wheeler would suit my needs better too. But now Im almost done fixing my jeep and I can rub it in his face. BTW how old are you?
Just turned 18, but I'm not living on my own yet. I'm moving out right after I get out of college.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:23 AM
CF Veteran

cool, im turning 18 in feb. Where are you gonna go to college?
Old 12-31-2008, 02:26 AM
CF Veteran

Mines (drool)

Does your jeep wield the green license plates?
Old 12-31-2008, 02:28 AM
CF Veteran

green license plates????
Old 12-31-2008, 02:32 AM
CF Veteran

green license plates????
Colorado license plates are green. I don't know what the hell made me say it that way.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:33 AM
CF Veteran

hahahaha nah, i live in PA.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:37 AM
CF Veteran

As for the jeepy, I'm bailing on it until my lifestyle can more easily accomodate the lifestyle I want to have. In the mean time....FIREARMS, AWAY!
Old 12-31-2008, 02:44 AM
CF Veteran

I want to go to Wyotech for automechanics. So I guess I already ave the jeep lifestyle.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:22 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

sorry to here of your problems, hope every thing turns out for the better

good luck is school also, i should have went to college but i got out the house at 17 and went right to work
Old 12-31-2008, 08:33 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 I 6

i live near pa
Old 12-31-2008, 08:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

Turn it over to him and when you do Unplug the CPS and tuck it back behind the Valve cover to where he will never find it. He can't sell it if it doesn't run.

Then make a deal with him tell him if you can fix it then the title is yours. But do some crazy stuff like change the valve cover or whatever. blah blah blah then hook up the CPS and start it up. play the game that hey I even know how to work on this truck.

Quick Reply: "In memorium" to my jeep as a project vehicle.