Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

how to remove red pinstrip panel on door? does anybody know

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6
Default how to remove red pinstrip panel on door? does anybody know

ok im am wondering how to remove the pinstrip panel on my doors.. can you just pull on it and take it off or do you need something to remove it? im planning on sanding it down after and masking it off then painting it with herculiner bed liner..
Old 12-19-2010, 01:00 PM

Probably is just attached with double sided molding tape.. should pull off but then you'll have to get rid of the adhesive residue

Last edited by weight312; 12-19-2010 at 01:05 PM. Reason: misunderstood first time i read it
Old 12-19-2010, 01:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

now are you talking about actual pinstriping or the molding/trim? If you''re talking about pinstriping then you can just pull it off and use some goo-gone or something similar to get rid of the residue (if it leaves any).

If you're talking the molding/trim, then be VERY CAREFUL when you take it off. Sometimes it will just pull right off and you just roll off the glue or double sided tape with your finger.....Othertimes it happens how mine did (check my pictures) with the gunk not coming off no matter what you do and taking paint with it when it does.
if you cant get the glue to just roll off then try a hair dryer or heat gun, but be careful if you use a heat gun
Old 12-19-2010, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

Also they make a tool that goes on a drill to get that oem adheisive stuff off. It is gauranteed not to take your paint off. I didnt believe at first but im a believer now. I held that thing in one spot for forever and it didnt do jack to my paint. Its like a rubber wheel deal that you can find at most autopart stores.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:19 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by dans01classic
Also they make a tool that goes on a drill to get that oem adheisive stuff off. It is gauranteed not to take your paint off. I didnt believe at first but im a believer now. I held that thing in one spot for forever and it didnt do jack to my paint. Its like a rubber wheel deal that you can find at most autopart stores.

Thats the ONLY way the crap on mine came off. The one i got was called a 3M eraser wheel, found it at O'Reileys. There is actually a write-up in the write-up section that goes a little farther into detail about it. I think it cost like $30 or something like that, but its completely worth it if you cant get it off
Old 12-19-2010, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

X2

amen brother!!!
Old 12-19-2010, 02:48 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

Take a hair dryer and set it on low heat and point at pin stripe. DO NOT leave in one area for too long as it can damage paint. This is what we used in the dealerships to remove pin striping. For adhesive backed body molding peel off molding being careful not to yank or pull at to sharp of an angle. Once molding is off then use the heat from the dryer to help loosen up the residual. Goo gone is another step in there if you can't remove with gentle heat.
We would use a razor blade , extremely carefully, to help peel the stuff off. Sadly we were too cheap to buy the fancy wheel that the other guys talked about... they would rather pay the man hours then pay for the tool... this is the way that I had to do it at the dealership in the detail section while i worked there.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:40 PM

But since you said your painting it with rhino liner or whatever you don't really have to worry about it.. use a razor blade and then sand it down to a smooth surface...
Old 12-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 L I6

get the magic eraser thing i found one for under ten dollars on ebay, hook it up to a wall powered drill, you need the torque or it wont work. Took EVERYTHING off my XJ i would highly recommend it, saved me several hours and hand blisters. Get some goo gone too it leaves a film residue
Old 12-19-2010, 03:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 ho

i used a razor blade but that ruined my paint,but i was bedlining it anyways so it didnt bother me
Old 12-19-2010, 05:27 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 00jeepXJ
Take a hair dryer and set it on low heat and point at pin stripe. DO NOT leave in one area for too long as it can damage paint. This is what we used in the dealerships to remove pin striping. For adhesive backed body molding peel off molding being careful not to yank or pull at to sharp of an angle. Once molding is off then use the heat from the dryer to help loosen up the residual. Goo gone is another step in there if you can't remove with gentle heat.
We would use a razor blade , extremely carefully, to help peel the stuff off. Sadly we were too cheap to buy the fancy wheel that the other guys talked about... they would rather pay the man hours then pay for the tool... this is the way that I had to do it at the dealership in the detail section while i worked there.
Really because i would LOVE to see you get off what i had on my jeep with razorblad/goo-gone/hair dryer/heat gun/plastic adhesive pealer because not only did I MYSELF try using every one of those to avail, but also my uncle, who works with paint for a living, tryed those methods as well. The eraser wheel was the ONLY thing that even slightly worked, and even with that it took more than 4 hours to remove all of it.

Also theres no reason to be a ********, if there had been another option than paying $40 dollars for a tool i've only used twice since than i would have.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:44 AM

Year: 1996

thanks guy yall are big help but do you think i should sand it down or just paint over it
Old 12-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 L I6

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Astro...motiveQ5fTools

Amazon.com: Astro Pneumatic 400E Smart Eraser Pad For Pinstripe Removal Tool: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Astro Pneumatic 400E Smart Eraser Pad For Pinstripe Removal Tool: Home Improvement

your welcome, all you need is a power drill.