Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Highway Driving with out Swaybars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Highway Driving with out Swaybars?

So I still haven't picked up a pair of sway bar disconnects or an anti-rock sway bar for my XJ and therefor I'm still rocking the sway bar fully disconnected. I'm am trying to avoid having to avoid highways on my trip down to Colorado Springs this Sunday and was curious as to whether or not I am just being too paranoid about driving on the Highway.

What is your experience/opinion regarding freeway driving like this and what would be your recommended top speed?

............[_l_l_ ,\____\,
............l_--__l _--[]lllllllll[]
............()_)-o-)()_)-o-)_)___________________________________________Only in an XJ
Old 05-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done it, and you'll notice a lot more body roll, but I think you'll be fine . If you had to make an evasive maneuver, it might cause some problems, but it probably would anyway, it is an SUV.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
I've done it, and you'll notice a lot more body roll, but I think you'll be fine . If you had to make an evasive maneuver, it might cause some problems, but it probably would anyway, it is an SUV.

Thats what my main concern has been... in the event i have to avoid one of the many great drivers here in Colorado and have to make an evasive maneuver I'm afraid things could go south...
Old 05-15-2009, 02:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

DON'T DRIVE AT HIGHWAY SPEED WITHOUT A SWAYBAR HOOKED UP EVER IN AN XJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can have the best intentions of being doubly careful but, any sudden movement and you rig would be on it's lid before you knew what happened. Don't do it!!! Get yor links hooked up ASAP!....and don't drive it on the highway until you do!
Old 05-15-2009, 03:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1994...mostly...
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO, Lot's of Bolt Ons

It really depends on your suspension and how stiff it is. For example my buddies jeep runs skyjacker coils with no front swaybar and his is a tighter ride than my jeep with Rusty's coils and a swaybar hooked up. If I take my swaybar off and take a turn my jeep will lean far into the turn. It really depends on how you drive and how soft your suspension is. Some you can and some are like mine where if you where to make a quick maneuver you would wind up on your side. That's why I always recommend running your front sway bar. Remember it's not just your life you put in danger if you lose control of your rig but also everyone else out there on the road that you could potentiality hit and injure. Just my 2 cents on the topic.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:02 PM
Do you hear banjos?

It's really NBD to hook up the end links anyway. You should hook them up, so you don't have to worry about it.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:03 PM

Default 1 yea / 2 nay

So thats 1 yea/maybe and 2 nay....

Anyone else care to chime in?
Old 05-15-2009, 03:06 PM
CF Veteran

I wouldn't be taking a pole on this matter man. It's your decision to put your life as well as others on the road at risk. If you have to poll on whether it's a good idea to put your self and others at risk then chances are it is a bad idea.

Not trying to hate on you, just trying to look out for a fellow jeeper.

Last edited by Desertfox1023; 05-15-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Desertfox1023
It really depends on your suspension and how stiff it is. For example my buddies jeep runs skyjacker coils with no front swaybar and his is a tighter ride than my jeep with Rusty's coils and a swaybar hooked up. If I take my swaybar off and take a turn my jeep will lean far into the turn. It really depends on how you drive and how soft your suspension is. Some you can and some are like mine where if you where to make a quick maneuver you would wind up on your side. That's why I always recommend running your front sway bar. Remember it's not just your life you put in danger if you lose control of your rig but also everyone else out there on the road that you could potentiality hit and injure. Just my 2 cents on the topic.

Im running a RC lift and its pretty soft......

And just to make it clear I do not drive on the Highway at all right now.... I drive side roads and dont ever get over 40-45mph and its pretty much stop and go traffic anyways so I'm never at that speed long before Im slowing down to stop again anywhere I go...
Old 05-15-2009, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Desertfox1023
(That's 2 nays if you read my post)

That's why I always recommend running your front sway bar. Remember it's not just your life you put in danger if you lose control of your rig but also everyone else out there on the road that you could potentiality hit and injure. Just my 2 cents on the topic.
I was editing the post just as you were posting this to correct the count... I got the extra nay
Old 05-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Just come through Sadlia, down 105, then you don't have to worry about hwy speed, besides, it's a pretty drive.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:25 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XJimmy
I was editing the post just as you were posting this to correct the count... I got the extra nay

x2 I edited mine when I saw that
Old 05-15-2009, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
Just come through Sadalia, down 105, then you don't have to worry about hwy speed, besides, it's a pretty drive.
I just mapped out a route from my place in Denver to Sedalia, then from Sedalia to Monument @ Mt Herman Rd via 105.... 2 Hr Drive that would normally take maybe 45 mins or less on the Highway... LOL

I think thats the rout I'm gonna take to get to Rampart Range and then go on a few of the light trails on my way back north on Rampart to Sedalia.... I dont think any of the trails/roads that start off of Rampart are rated no more than a 2 but look pretty scenic.... Good first time trails from what I can tell...
Old 05-15-2009, 03:39 PM

Thanks for the advice... I think I will just stick to regular roads as I have been already... I was just curious as to how may people would actually say to go on the Hwy.... I have a friend that is always telling me its all good because he did in his TJ... but I havnt trusted him enough to try it...
Old 05-15-2009, 03:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ

Highway speeds and no swaybars.....

Nice knowin ya.
Let us know where we can send the flowers and our condolences to those left behind.

Also, let us know where whats left of your XJ will be heading so we can pick it clean.

Damn, vultures!!!

In short....
ONE vote NAYway