Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

High Mileage Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default High Mileage Cherokee

Hello,
I'm looking at purchasing a 1999 Cherokee Sport for $2,000. It looks as if it's in immaculate shape, however; it has 232,000 miles. That's a lot of miles. I know XJ's run forever, but does that seem like too many miles? If not, what should I be looking for if I test drive it?
Old 05-11-2010, 11:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 9teen98
Engine: 4.0 I6

$2k is a bit much considering the high miles. i'd look for leaks anywhere you can think of, check out the suspension, get a feel for how the engine runs when you test drive it, what kind of work did the owner do to the XJ (whether if it was professionally maintained).
Old 05-11-2010, 11:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

i always resold mine with 200k or more for more then 2k
Old 05-11-2010, 11:08 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992

thats about the end of life... for jeep engine.. it will need attending to soon... and what about rest of jeep.. bushings.. brakes... shocks... transmission..what has been replaced.. mantianed...they are very commen with this high a milage.. as they do hold up well.. but.. as with anything when you get to a certain point.. its time to give up the ghost... jeeps 250 - 300k miles and its time...
Old 05-11-2010, 11:14 AM

Here's a link to it. The body looks like it's in great shape, but there is no mention of any work that has been done. Getting a feel for the engine/transmission would be a good start. Are there any issues (fluid leaks or others) that are specific to XJ's that I should be on the lookout for?

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/1735041111.html
Old 05-11-2010, 11:18 AM

Year: 2001
Default adjustable track bar question

I just put a 4.5" rough country lift on my 01 xj. I was about to order an adjustable track bar and drop pitman arm. My guy that is going to align the front end said it would be better to have these.
Will any brand adjustable track bar work?
Old 05-11-2010, 11:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by Hommersimpson
thats about the end of life... for jeep engine.. it will need attending to soon... and what about rest of jeep.. bushings.. brakes... shocks... transmission..what has been replaced.. mantianed...they are very commen with this high a milage.. as they do hold up well.. but.. as with anything when you get to a certain point.. its time to give up the ghost... jeeps 250 - 300k miles and its time...
Dont know where you got that from. Many people on here have over 300k with no problems. My jeep is at 207k and runs fine except a top end knock, my girlfriends 96 has close to 230k and is perfect. No blow by, doesnt use oil, no abnormal noises, etc.
The 4.0 is known to go past 300k easily and the AW4 or AX15 are both good trans. Take care of it and itll last forever.

OP, I wouldnt worry about the miles. Check for leaks, milky oil, coolant loss, check all the fluids, and take it for a long test drive, get it up to op temp and make sure it doesnt overheat. Check for rust in the rear "frame" rails, around where your feet rest in front, and over the exhaust. If everything checks out, buy it.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by gwayms
I just put a 4.5" rough country lift on my 01 xj. I was about to order an adjustable track bar and drop pitman arm. My guy that is going to align the front end said it would be better to have these.
Will any brand adjustable track bar work?
accidentally got in the topic below the one you wanted
Old 05-11-2010, 11:35 AM

Year: 1990

I personally would stay away from purchasing a vehicle with that many miles. Something big will go eventually, unless it already has and the owner replaced it. My XJ has 168k and the head gasket is gone. I took the thermostat out and drive it with no heat. But if I get into fixing the head gasket I am certain it is going to snow ball into a huge pain in the butt and have huge expenses. If you are mechanically inclined and don't mind having to go without a vehicle for a couple of days while you fix things then maybe it won't be so bad. I love the XJ, But mark my words: Something WILL give soon.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:35 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992

Originally Posted by Defiance665
Dont know where you got that from. Many people on here have over 300k with no problems. My jeep is at 207k and runs fine except a top end knock, my girlfriends 96 has close to 230k and is perfect. No blow by, doesnt use oil, no abnormal noises, etc.
The 4.0 is known to go past 300k easily and the AW4 or AX15 are both good trans. Take care of it and itll last forever.

OP, I wouldnt worry about the miles. Check for leaks, milky oil, coolant loss, check all the fluids, and take it for a long test drive, get it up to op temp and make sure it doesnt overheat. Check for rust in the rear "frame" rails, around where your feet rest in front, and over the exhaust. If everything checks out, buy it.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/how...xj-have-10486/

as i said.. around 250 - 300k is pushing it.. ofcourse some will go longer.. and some wont..but if you read.. alot start blowing up after 200...weather its smoking or knocking... or just leaking oil out of every place oil can leak..My opinun is basicly.. if you buy a jeep with 150k on it .. you might.. just might get another 100k with no major issues.. if you buy one with 230k miles on it.. you might go 10 miles.. or 50k...
Just my opinun and im stickin to it lol...
Old 05-11-2010, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the input, guys. A lot of conflicting opinions. I guess I have nothing to lose by test driving it (and maybe trying to negotiate below $2,000).
Old 05-11-2010, 05:28 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jstrabley
Thanks for the input, guys. A lot of conflicting opinions. I guess I have nothing to lose by test driving it (and maybe trying to negotiate below $2,000).
yeah, that's the best idea. try to talk it down. i bet he put his vehicle on nada or kbb as excellent condition and that's why he thinks that it's worth that much. if he tells you that it has been well maintained, ask him if he can show you the maintenance log book. when he tells you that he just installed a new flux capacitor, tell him that you wanna see a receipt. u know what i mean?
don't take people's word for anything. common leaks are valvecover, oil pan gasket, minor leak on transfer case casing divider seal and rear differential housing. check the oil. if it's too clean, it might have leaked out and the seller might have just added some... that's not good. if he says that he just changed the oil, look at how much dirt and dust is on the oil filter. ask to see a receipt. don't be embarrased. it's better to come off as a booty hole now, than to beat your head on the wall later.
if he says he does all of the work himself, ask him a whole bunch of mechanical questions and see if he knows what he's doing.

for a well taken care off XJ 230k is not a whole lot of miles. if you blow up the motor, it's not that hard or expensive to find another one.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:00 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L I6 Powertech

$2k?! heck no! miles are fine but offer like 1500 (well...... if everything checks out!)
Old 05-11-2010, 07:05 PM

Thanks, guys. It ended up having a case of Death Wobble and the 4 wheel drive doesn't work. No thanks.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:51 PM

Instead of writing my own post I am going to bring this one back from the dead. Plus I don't think I am allowed to make a thread until I have commented on some stuff!

I am in the market for an XJ preferably 1997-2001 and have found little options. One is promising that appears to be well taken care of, has the nice tan cloth interior in great condition. OME 3" lift, RCR bumpers, 31" tires, the works. My only issue is that it has 225k+ on it and the guy wants to start negotiation at $4800!
I am mechanically inclined and can fix most major issues, I have a motorcycle that I can ride as secondary transportation. My question is if everything checks out is it worth the buy? Current owner just drove it to Colorado and back (from Houston TX) with "no issues". Still, I am cautious and want to buy a solid rig to use as a daily driver and overland/expedition vehicle.

Anyways, I've read a lot of threads but still looking for advice! Thanks, let me know your thoughts!

Quick Reply: High Mileage Cherokee