Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

HI! new member here

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default HI! new member here

I'm a proud new owner of a 01 xj Sport, 90k miles. Needs some TLC. This is my 3rd Jeep, having previously leased a 98 Sport and owned a 98 Grand Cherokee that I sold to a family member 4-5 years ago. It's all banged up now but he still drives it.

Just wanted to say hi to the members here!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum!

Be sure that your cooling system is completely up to snuff as the 01 has the "infamous" 0331 cylinder head, which has a casting defect between cylinders 3-4 that is prone to cracking upon an overheat.

Fresh conventional coolant, all new hoses if originals, new radiator cap and watch that coolant temp gauge.

Cooling system maintenance is always a great idea, but it is critical with the 00-01; you do NOT want to overheat that engine.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to CF! x2 on the cooling system. I'd go ahead and replace as much as you can it now - new cap, hoses, 195 t-stat. Flush the radiator and heater core REALLY well before putting on all the new stuff. With 90k on it, I'd go ahead and replace the water pump as well, just so the whole cooling system (other than the radiator) is new. Those heads are notorious for cracking, so do you can to prevent it.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:29 AM

Thanks for the advise guys! I plan during the next couple of weeks to change the fluids, guess I'll add coolant change to the mix. This weekend I'm doing an oil change, rear diff (fill plug was leaking, don't know for how long.. I got a new fill plug already and the tube of Chrysler RTV from the dealer). Am changing the air filter. Next will be the Auto trans fluid, transfer case fluid, and spark plugs. Then coolant.

Question.. anything I have to watch out for when taking the direct ignition thing-y off the spark plugs?
Old 12-01-2010, 08:33 AM

Oh.. and I've been watching the coolant temp guage.. right in the middle where it should be so far! I'm coming off owning a Land Rover Discovery... talk about having to watch the coolant temp like a hawk! When they overheat you're def looking at a new head gasket and you're lucky if the cyl head liners don't slip.. they have an aluminum head.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:09 AM
CF Veteran

First real modification I usually do is an aftermarket coolant gauge.

I learnt the hard way a few years back that Jeep gauges are at best a rough approximation. lol
Old 12-01-2010, 09:29 AM

I've been kicking around the idea of getting the guage called "Scanguage" Alot of LR Discovery guys use one. It connects to the OBD II port and monitors everything the onboard computer monitors. Coolant temp, trans temp, fuel pressure, etc.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:36 AM
CF Veteran

nice, sounds expensive and I'm a cheap bastard. lol.

I just buy those ricer a-pillar holders and pop in a couple gauges I want. Usually its the 3 pod so I go with trans temp, engine temp and tach. Although finding tachs in that size is a pain in the ***. Everyone wants those Pizza sized ones with the big *** red dot beside it.