Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

HELP!! it wont start!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default HELP!! it wont start!

Hey guys, so i have a huge problem that i cant seem to figure out. my jeep is mainly my go fishin/offroad/winter vehicle. Its been sittin for about a month which is normaly no problem for it. It got broke into the other day and the radio was stolen. I went and bought a replacement, fo to pull it in the driveway and nothing.. It wont even try and turn over.

Heres what i got:
-new starter this summer
-new battery with the starter
-replaced the leads for the battery terminals
-just now installed a new ignition switch

still nothing. i can hear the starter click but nothing kinda like when it went bad but we tried smackin it with a hammer and it still wouldnt turn. all relays and fuses are good. and i tried to jump the starter by touching the two wires together on the starter thinking if there was a problem it would atleast start that way. i followed the wires up from the starter and they all seem in tact. should i try a new starter and see if that works? any suggestions? right now i have a $3k paper weight sitting in the garage and winters comin up quick...

any feedback is appreciated im willing to try just about anything
Old 11-11-2011, 02:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

You didn't mention if you tried jump starting it or checked the voltage. You could be describing a dead battery. Also you want those battery terminal connections all shiny clean lead, all four surfaces.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:51 AM

Im sorry i did forget to mention that. I checked the volatage last nigt and i was pulling 12.6-8. And i tried to jump start it with my car and nothing.. I kept a trickle charger on it and nothing. I also have a battery quick charge/jumper and that didnt do anything. All sign show the battery is good. The terminals are all cleaned up and shiny with no corrosion at all around the leAds
Old 11-11-2011, 12:06 PM
CF Veteran

Yea, sure sounds like the new starter if the engine is not seized! Last summer I put one lead on the starter post, another grounded on the engine, and saw it not crank with 11+ volts there. Starter was bad. If the solenoid is clicking and you are not getting voltage double check those cable connections. Often a bad spot will get hot btw.Take it back to where you bought it, hope you saved the receipt!
Old 11-11-2011, 12:32 PM

Yessir with a lifetime warranty! Ill take it back and swap em out. I took the starter off last night and put it back on and everything seemed fine. I just thought it was strange thAt it wouldnt start after i smack it with a hammer lol
Old 11-11-2011, 01:50 PM
CF Veteran

Yea, that's a good one, tricked me once though. Smacking it made the cable connect to the solenoid better enough to start. Hence the suggested voltage test. And:

Yea, the manager at Napa once gave me a free replacement because my starter was NOW a lifetime. Wasn't when I bought it though! Nice guy.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:00 PM

Bad news... New starter and nothing still
Old 11-15-2011, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000.1999,1996
Engine: 4.0

Is the surface the starter mate's to clean?How about the rest of the grounds. Get your battery tested to check for dead cells.I've had dead cells that would allow the auto to have lights radio etc but not start. Plus did they srew up any wire's when they stole the radio?Did you install the new switch correctly?
Old 11-15-2011, 11:11 PM

Im positive i installed the switch right lol it went back in the way it came out. The engine isnt locked up so im positive its a wiring issue. I have no clue where to start though to check te wiring is all good
Old 11-15-2011, 11:13 PM

And ill go check the battery tomorrow to make sure. The starter clicks but thats it. Sounds alot similiar to when it went bad but i know its good now lol
Old 11-15-2011, 11:28 PM
CF Veteran

Do you still hear the solenoid click? This is for my 90, might help, especially if it's not clicking. Good SHINY lead on those terminals, both inside and outside? There can be a thin grey coating that keeps it from making contact.
Attached Thumbnails HELP!! it wont start!-jeep-starter-circuit-wiring.jpg  
Old 11-15-2011, 11:47 PM

Yeah the starter selenoid still clicks when i turn the key but thats it, nothing else. The battery doesnt make noise like its dead and the engine doesnt attempt to turn over
Old 11-16-2011, 12:10 AM
CF Veteran

I don't mean to be a nag....those terminals can be weird. That thin crusty layer of, I guess lead oxide, can look OK but not pass much current. (and do just that). I use my pocket knife carefully for the insides. And whatever for the posts. I've used a rock at least once! Wire brush works better. If your sure they are really clean maybe do as max suggested and clean the surfaces where the starter mounts. I did see in other posts a film can form there as well. Make sure your battery/engine ground connection is spiffy. If you hold it over on start for 4 or 5 seconds you might see/hear the bad connection sizzle. It will get warm. (if there IS a bad connection one).
Old 11-16-2011, 01:56 AM

Lol i dont mind any advice nag or not! Anything that gets me closer to a solution is fine with me. Are we talking the terminals on the battery itself or still down by the starter? I may not know a ton but i pick up and learn quick. If yall can point me on a general area im usually good to go. Its at my parents house and im at my apartment so ill check tomorrow. If you happen to be able to take a pic of areas you think may be troublesome im all ears
Old 11-16-2011, 05:27 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

This was a culprit of mine with my ladies zj... i pushed the starter leads towards the oil pan, and it turned right over, turned it off, and wham, needed a new starter lol! got one from kragen, and didnt work, returned it, and it worked.... idk what the issue was. good luck

Quick Reply: HELP!! it wont start!