Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help re running rough on start up when hot

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Help re running rough on start up when hot

Hi all. New on here, and am in the UK
My 95 Cherokee starts from cold fine, and runs fine. Leave it for 5 mins or so,
and it starts, buts will not tickover smooth unless you rev it to clear what feels like a bad misfire. Once clear, runs fine again.? Changed all 6 plugs, and is the same. Any ideas best place to start? It did have no1 plug arcing from the cap to the engine when I bought it, and it appeared the changed plug sorted that, but this seems to be a bit worse now, especially been warm here for a bit. (Yep warm in England in March lol)
Many thanks in advance Les
My other car by the way is an 2008 GT Mustang Vert
Old 03-26-2012, 09:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 I6

My 01 has been doing the sa,e thing. So far i have replaced plugs and injectors but it still studders. Next thing im going with is coils.Goodluck
Old 03-26-2012, 09:32 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: N/A

Had the same thing, its misfire and the oil pressure was real low, its was the coils
Old 03-26-2012, 12:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 300 Likes on 249 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Originally Posted by kaz2000xjsport
Had the same thing, its misfire and the oil pressure was real low, its was the coils
Which coils do you mean here?
Old 03-27-2012, 03:20 AM

Ok thanks, I am taking it in tomorrow to a friends garage, so hope he can sort this out. I will post the outcome if resolved.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

1. Finish your tuneup. The importance of solid tuneup hardware cannot be overstated. Quality spark plug wires, distributor cap, rotor and fuel filter.

2. If it still does it after the tuneup, a couple of possibilities would be an engine management sensor like the coolant temp sensor out to lunch, or possibly an injector that is leaking raw fuel into the cylinder and the engine runs rough for a bit upon restart as it burns off the excess raw fuel.

3. Use the technique below to check for any "stored or pending" trouble codes. Only takes you a few minutes of your time. Post any codes here for comment.
-----------------------------------------------------------
OBDI models (1991-1995) - Start with the ignition off. Within five seconds, switch the key on, off, on, off, on. ("On" is NOT "Start" and "Off" is NOT "Lock"). The "check engine" light will flash. Count the flashes. Each code is a two digit code, so a (for example) 23 would be FLASH FLASH (pause) FLASH FLASH FLASH (long pause). It will never flash more than 9 times, so watch for those pauses!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:10 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: N/A

Originally Posted by Roler
Which coils do you mean here?
the ignition coils, lol, obviously not the coil springs

but then again the OP's jeep isn't coil pack, so id imagine if that was it the Tune up with new rotor, cap, plugs and wires would fix this....if not, check for codes
Old 03-31-2012, 09:15 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: I6-4.0

I am also having a very similar problem. start up is extremely rough and i have to crank it for about 10 seconds before it really even tries to start. after it runs for a minute or two it seems to run just fine. BUT when i hit 210 on my temp gauge it starts to misfire again, not nearly as bad as start up though.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by tjwalker
1. Finish your tuneup. The importance of solid tuneup hardware cannot be overstated. Quality spark plug wires, distributor cap, rotor and fuel filter.

2. If it still does it after the tuneup, a couple of possibilities would be an engine management sensor like the coolant temp sensor out to lunch, or possibly an injector that is leaking raw fuel into the cylinder and the engine runs rough for a bit upon restart as it burns off the excess raw fuel.

3. Use the technique below to check for any "stored or pending" trouble codes. Only takes you a few minutes of your time. Post any codes here for comment.
-----------------------------------------------------------
OBDI models (1991-1995) - Start with the ignition off. Within five seconds, switch the key on, off, on, off, on. ("On" is NOT "Start" and "Off" is NOT "Lock"). The "check engine" light will flash. Count the flashes. Each code is a two digit code, so a (for example) 23 would be FLASH FLASH (pause) FLASH FLASH FLASH (long pause). It will never flash more than 9 times, so watch for those pauses!

Thanks for help & info etc---Friends Garage has changed Plugs/Leads/Cap/Arm etc, and got back home left it 10 Minutes, and tried it. Yep still does it lol Cannot see any flashing on the CEL either, so am stuffed at the moment....Also had injector cleaner in fuel. any ideas ?
Thanks Les
Old 04-02-2012, 01:02 PM

Engine: 4.0 liter

Originally Posted by jeep2304
Thanks for help & info etc---Friends Garage has changed Plugs/Leads/Cap/Arm etc, and got back home left it 10 Minutes, and tried it. Yep still does it lol Cannot see any flashing on the CEL either, so am stuffed at the moment....Also had injector cleaner in fuel. any ideas ?
Thanks Les
my 99 had a similar problem, after about 2-3 mins of warming up it would start to sputter and almost stall unless i would rev the engine. i replaced plugs, wires, cap, battery and battery terminals but never fixed it. i took it to my mechanic and he said that my pre cat o2 sensor was going bad, replaced it with a factory direct o2 and have been rough idle free for 8 months now...dont know if it will help but its worth a shot
Old 04-03-2012, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by hansen19
my 99 had a similar problem, after about 2-3 mins of warming up it would start to sputter and almost stall unless i would rev the engine. i replaced plugs, wires, cap, battery and battery terminals but never fixed it. i took it to my mechanic and he said that my pre cat o2 sensor was going bad, replaced it with a factory direct o2 and have been rough idle free for 8 months now...dont know if it will help but its worth a shot

Thanks for post. Mine starts fine, and runs fine. Only if had a good run to get to Full temp, then leave for say 5 or 10 minutes, and is starts, but misfires badly, till revved to clear. Then all fine again. I checked the CEL light as posted above, but no flashing CEL light, so assume no codes. At a loss where to look now. Sounds like a possible temp sender, or something that is giving to much fuel when not required, but not sure.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by jeep2304
Thanks for post. Mine starts fine, and runs fine. Only if had a good run to get to Full temp, then leave for say 5 or 10 minutes, and is starts, but misfires badly, till revved to clear. Then all fine again. I checked the CEL light as posted above, but no flashing CEL light, so assume no codes. At a loss where to look now. Sounds like a possible temp sender, or something that is giving to much fuel when not required, but not sure.
mine actually wouldnt give a code either. my mechanic explained it as the sensor was getting "lazy". when it would transfer from idling to running temp from the o2 it would not send info fast enough to the computer, thats why i was informed to get a factory direct sensor and not an aftermarket one, i guess there a bit better and actually built specificly for the model. good luck
Old 04-03-2012, 01:55 PM

Thanks. Will try that.....In the meantime, here is a pic of my other pride & joy
2008 GT Vert Mustang. (With a few Mods Lol )

Old 04-03-2012, 03:23 PM

Nice, my folks have a 2005 mustang gt and a 2009 mustang gt with a glass roof and just had a stage 2 supercharger kit installed....about 450 hp now
Old 04-16-2012, 10:49 AM

No different, and one guy who had same problem on his reckons maybe the ECU so will not bother spending more on it, as only a cheap runaround.
Thanks for all your help out there Les