Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

HELP Needed!!

Old 02-08-2011, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default HELP Needed!!

So I am trying to remove the head on my 96 XJ so I can replace the fuxxored freeze plug at the back of it. I was trying to take my Power Steering pump off of where it mounts to the intake manifold, and one of the bolts came off easy, the second stripped completely round (I guess it was somewhat stripped from PO and I never noticed) and I can't even get it off with vicegrips.

About to take my jeep out in the desert and shoot it full of holes.

EDIT: I bought an easy-out socket, but I have to remove the power steering pump pulley to have ANY room to get that bolt off. How the hell do I get this thing off? Please tell me it's not another specialty tool to go buy... Vicegrips were a total bust, the head of the bolt is all tore up now, so hoping the easy-out will get it out of me if I can get that pulley off.

Last edited by desertw0lf; 02-09-2011 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

Calm down. When you get fussy things won't get better.
Can you heat it some what and try the vise grips again?
or just drill it out?
Old 02-08-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by JeepingDan
Calm down. When you get fussy things won't get better.
Can you heat it some what and try the vise grips again?
or just drill it out?

Can't drill it out, because it has a pulley blocking the way. I tried heating it, the vicegrips can't seem to get a purchase on it, and just round it off more. It almost seems like the bolt is a softer metal than it should be. Had no probs with the other bolt
Old 02-08-2011, 06:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

Hammer a smaller size socket on it may do it.
This is my last post of the day gotta get to work.
Good luck!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by JeepingDan
Hammer a smaller size socket on it may do it.
This is my last post of the day gotta get to work.
Good luck!
Thanks, I'll try to file it on two sides to fit a smaller box-ended wrench on it and get it turned. Taking a break, as my air compressor turned itself on magically and scared the living crap out of me, causing me to bang my head on something fair hard.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Living in Michigan, I'm having many of the same problems...

It might make you feel better to know you're not alone.

Other than that, my solution, to almost all of the bolt problems i'm having... go out to a hardware store, Lowes, Home Depot, or even better, Sears or (on a budget) Harbor Freight, and buy a dremmel or one of those newer flat blade (late night infomercial) cutting tools. I recommend the Dremmel, although I haven't used the flat blade jobbies yet.

The dremmel worked great for me, and for about 30 or 40 bucks, you can usually get the kit that comes with about 50,000 accessories. Look at the separately packaged accessories that they sell also, on the same shelf, for a long shaft grinding tool. Make sure that whatever version of the 'dremmel', cause they sell a bunch of off-brand knock-offs, will also fit the separate accessories before you buy it. Compare the size of the handle/motor to make sure you get one small enough to fit tight places. You might give up some rpms with the smaller models, but you can fit tighter places, then get surgical. Take your time, please wear safety goggles, cause those dam metal slivers really go flying, and slowly and calculatedly remove whateever metal you have to to get the job done. Makes a 2 hour frustrating file-job on a bolt head kinda fun and very effective. Again, when you buy the dremmel, buy some new 5 buck safety glasses thata aren't all scratched up. Store them with the dremmel, you're more likely to wear the new ones since you can see better.

Store the machine back in its case, and forget about it until the next time you have a bolt that breaks.

Take my advice:
Grind slowly and almost surgically, too much pressure on the head of an extended shaft rotary tool, at 20,000 rpms can turn the extended head into a 70 mph missle if it snaps off. Although you'll have a good story, and we all know chicks dig scars (and eye patches), your health insurance provider might be less than enthused with a 2500 dollar emergency room visit. Take your time, let it do it's job, and by all means, use the proper safety equipment, goggles and leather gloves. THat dam thing will take your fingertip off so quick you won't even feel it!

A dremmel in your garage (or comparable knock-off) will save you money on torches and hassel on the job.

PS:
Label the case with duck tape and a marker...
"Cherokee Problem Solver"
Old 02-08-2011, 08:29 AM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

Also look into an easy out Socket. They are reverse spiral cut and conical . Which means when you go to loosen the bolt it will grip onto even the most rounded bolt, Tighten down and then you can loosen them. Sears sells them and then so do the big three (mac, matco, and snap-on) Not sure about anyone else
Old 02-09-2011, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by 96_xj
Also look into an easy out Socket. They are reverse spiral cut and conical . Which means when you go to loosen the bolt it will grip onto even the most rounded bolt, Tighten down and then you can loosen them. Sears sells them and then so do the big three (mac, matco, and snap-on) Not sure about anyone else
I got the easy-out socket. I need to get the power steering pump pulley off, first, because there is NO room to get a wrench around the easy-out socket due to space limitations. How the hell do I get the pulley off? Please tell me there's a way to do it without buying yet another special tool.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

cut the head off the bolt off remove the pump ten remove the left over stud
Old 02-09-2011, 05:53 AM

Year: 1994 sport 2dr
Engine: 4.0 ho

you need a puller for the pulley on the pump. it also is a press to reinstall it. Autozone or your local parts store may have one you can rent or use. They charged me a hundred bucks, but gave it all back when i returned the tool