Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help me please

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Help me please

So my xj runs like a champ, but the past three days I've been smelling cigarette smoke when I drive. I do not smoke. It happened a few days ago after I ran ac for about an hour. What can this be.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Maybe?:
http://patients.aan.com/resources/ne...01208010-00020
Old 08-09-2015, 07:48 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

New to you XJ? Or new-ish, and you've never run the ac until now? Only driver of said XJ? You said you don't smoke, but maybe someone else is sneaking in some puffs while they drive...other than that, I got nothing. You can try cleaning your system with some kind of odor remover, you can find these at your local parts house, or online.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

Originally Posted by EZEARL
LOL, or possibly the previous owner smoked while using the AC? This would draw their smoke into the AC system ducting, and unfortunately cig smoke lingers like hell. Former smoker here, it sucks. Pulled my old riding jacket out a box recently, it was like being punched in the nose.

Our XJs tragically have no cabin filter. Spray some Febreeze into the AC intake(pass side under the dash), and just keep running the AC, it'll clear up eventually. If its really bad, cut a bunch of holes in a dryer sheet and tape onto the grate that covers the blower fan.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Do this ^^ with the mode selector in the #11 position (MAX AIR - Recirc)

Name:  CopyofjpgACHEATERCONTROLPANEL.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  46.1 KB
Old 08-09-2015, 11:33 AM
CF Veteran

Additionally, you'll have to access the Recirc air inlet by rolling the glove box down. The pic shows the glove box removed, which you don't need to do, just remove the rubber stops on either side of the glove box and it will roll down.

Name:  jpgRev1GloveBoxRollDown.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  75.8 KB
Old 08-09-2015, 11:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998

Here's the problem: A PO smoked and the residuals are in the a/c system along with mold/mildew. Get a Meguiar's Air Re-Freshener at a Wal-Mart for about $7. Follow the directions on the can. This is important. You will notice the difference. Let me know how it works out for you.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:36 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

If none of the above help, you can rent an ozone generator and ozone the smell out of the truck. Ozone generators are what hotels use to eliminate cigarette smoke smells in their rooms. I wouldn't leave it running in there for more than a couple of hours.

Ozone also kills mold and destroys spores, so you can use it to clean up a moldy ventilation system also.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:42 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by extrashaky
If none of the above help, you can rent an ozone generator and ozone the smell out of the truck. Ozone generators are what hotels use to eliminate cigarette smoke smells in their rooms. I wouldn't leave it running in there for more than a couple of hours.

Ozone also kills mold and destroys spores, so you can use it to clean up a moldy ventilation system also.
This is what the Meg's does at a fraction of the price with almost zero effort involved and a nice scent when complete. It is the only product I've found that actually works long-term. The others just mask the odor and don't address the mold/mildew. With results like that, why even bother? Lol!
Old 08-09-2015, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

We've been infiltrated by a super secret Meguiars sales rep!

Old 08-09-2015, 11:52 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by 4WD4EVER
This is what the Meg's does at a fraction of the price with almost zero effort involved and a nice scent when complete. It is the only product I've found that actually works long-term. The others just mask the odor and don't address the mold/mildew. With results like that, why even bother? Lol!
If that product works, that's great.

But to clarify, an ozone generator does not mask odors. O3 chemically bonds with the molecules causing the odors and renders them inert. The smell doesn't come back, because the substance that was making the smell is gone.

And as I said above, ozone destroys mold and its spores. If you call for mold remediation in a home, they bring in a big ozone generator to get rid of it. You only need a small one for a car. My dad's pickup had a mold issue, but it was completely gone after two hours with a small O3 generator and hasn't come back.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:55 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by TwistedWrench
We've been infiltrated by a super secret Meguiars sales rep!

Lol! No, I've got a business on the side doing higher-end cars for clients who are, shall we say, particular about their results and it's the only product I've found that actually does what it claims. I've had to use a 2nd application a couple of times, but after that, it's amazing how different the interiors are.

Just anecdotal evidence.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:01 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by extrashaky
If that product works, that's great.

But to clarify, an ozone generator does not mask odors. O3 chemically bonds with the molecules causing the odors and renders them inert. The smell doesn't come back, because the substance that was making the smell is gone.

And as I said above, ozone destroys mold and its spores. If you call for mold remediation in a home, they bring in a big ozone generator to get rid of it. You only need a small one for a car. My dad's pickup had a mold issue, but it was completely gone after two hours with a small O3 generator and hasn't come back.
I wasn't implying that ozone machines mask odors but rather other products (i.e. air fresheners, dryer sheets, etc.) do. Ozone does work but who the hell wants to go through all that effort?

Last edited by 4WD4EVER; 08-09-2015 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 08-09-2015, 12:12 PM
CF Veteran

It's probably a dead mouse in the blower chamber anyway. Just takes time for its remains to dry up.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Lol, just joshin ya. Believe me, ALL my clients are particular about their cars...

The thing is, these cars have had 50yrs to accumulate all manner of funky smells. Meg's puts out some great products, but nothing in a bottle can tackle an entire vehicle. I've used em, and I've used an ozone rig, there is really no comparing them. One and done, ventilation system, carpet, upholstery, headliner... no more stink.

Does cherokeegirl need to go that far? Probably not, but if it is that bad, that's the big problem solver.