Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

help.. how to install winshield

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L inline 6 cylinder
Default help.. how to install winshield

so i kinda busted up my windshield with my wrench while i was working on the jeep i was thinking i could got to the juckyard an get a used one but how do i install it is it easy ot should i just pay someone else to do it
Old 12-03-2011, 06:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Pay somebody to do it. It is more involved than one would think. Shop around for the best price.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:33 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Not hard. The basics- cut the old seal and pop the old one out. Pull the old seal. Put the new seal in. Start to mount the window on the top and run string around the inside and slowly push the window in while pulling the string out to pull the lip of the seal over the glass.... On second thought Google it... It's hard to do without a helper too.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:38 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L inline 6 cylinder

i did google it but i couldnt find fing one for just an xj
i watched a couple of them an they all were different
Old 12-03-2011, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987
Engine: 1987 4.0L (242 CID) I6 RENIX FI 242 173 hp (129 kW) @ 4600 rpm, 224 lb•ft (304 N-m) @ 4000RPM

I would say pay someone..

Im all about saving money but ive tried to do 2 windshields on 2 of my other vehicles before.. Both times I just gave up..

the windshields was already busted, so no worries about breaking it too much further, it being the safety glass, no need to worry about it busting and shards flying everywhere...

I had got the glass (from JY) and new seals/strips/sealers.
I got windshield removal tools..
Read the instructions & watched some youtubes..
& gave it a whirl..

Even with the tools I couldnt get it out, it kept re-sealing itself as I moved to another area; I tried placing other things in the cracks I opened up between the frame and the glass (wood blocks) didnt help much.

So I just started busting the heck out of the windshield thinking I would just clean it up and then be able to clean the old seal off and be on my merry way to the next step.

Well again, its alot harder then it sounds.. Needless to say, I gave up on that train of thought too.

I ended up calling a place to come out and do it for me
Because I started on my path of destruction it costed me a lil more since they had a lot more work to do to get it out but since I already had the glass it was pretty cheap overall..

Somethings are just best left to someone else who has already done it before...
Old 12-03-2011, 10:44 PM
CF Veteran

I've done windshields... They can be frustrating but it can be done. Just have it done if you don't feel comfortable.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I'm a little confused here. I've done both of mine and they where glued in with vulcanized? Rubber. Using fine wire to cut the new one out at the JY is the hard part. Very tough and it breaks SUPPER easy when you finally get down to the last few inches. My yard makes you pay BEFORE you try to take it out.

Inspect the replacement carefully in good light. I bought one in the shade, installed it, and when I did the final cleaning discovered it was pitted, pretty bad.

My local glass store sells the tube of rubber for about $10. After cleaning everything and laying the bead, just plop it on. I think I may have put some shims on the bottom to keep it from sliding down, don't remember. I ran a small nylon cord through the cab and around. Then with plastic jugs on the windshield under it, I pulled it tight with a truckers knot. Next morning I put the trim back. Both have been fine for years.

Again, don't try to take one out, let someone else do it. It's really tricky.

During a fire evacuation someone put a heavy 14' ladder in the Jeep. It bounced up, levered, broke the windshield from the inside, the solar panels where saved though!
Old 12-03-2011, 11:27 PM

Spend the money and leave it to the Pros.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:29 AM
CF Veteran

Ya that glue crap is a *****... You can cut it and heat it and work up underneath..... Just have it done
Old 12-04-2011, 12:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Hey Chad, Yea...I'll never try to remove one again, I hope! Sticking one on though is no problem, unless you stick on a piece if **** like I did.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:04 AM

Year: 1987
Engine: 1987 4.0L (242 CID) I6 RENIX FI 242 173 hp (129 kW) @ 4600 rpm, 224 lb•ft (304 N-m) @ 4000RPM

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
I'm a little confused here. I've done both of mine and they where glued in with vulcanized? Rubber. Using fine wire to cut the new one out at the JY is the hard part. Very tough and it breaks SUPPER easy when you finally get down to the last few inches. My yard makes you pay BEFORE you try to take it out.

Inspect the replacement carefully in good light. I bought one in the shade, installed it, and when I did the final cleaning discovered it was pitted, pretty bad.

Again, don't try to take one out, let someone else do it. It's really tricky.
The yards I go to, will pull it for you.
But you have ask a couple days in advance & you pay first.
And they don't charge anything extra; same price as diy yards.
It would be worth it for me, even if they did charge a lil extra, not to have to deal with the headache of trying to remove it..

I think they offer it, cause then its a guaranteed sale, and they don't have to worry about someone breaking it & then having to deal with glass all over their yard / vehicles & people potentially hurting themselves..
Old 12-04-2011, 05:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 94

I just priced a new windshield for my wife's last week. $120 installed or $70 out the door. I figure after the wire to pull it and glue to install it and add in the P--off factor, the $120 was a good deal. Going to drop it off, go across the street have a cold draft, a couple fish tacos and it's done.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Can a windshield replacement be a DIY? Sure, if you have some experience with it.

If you don't, I'm trying to save you some agony. It just is not as easy as it may sound. Installation is not that expensive if you check around.

Write the check and move on to other XJ projects!
Old 12-04-2011, 06:13 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

I've tried it once myself, and ended up tearing the brand new seal. After that experience I just decided to take it to the pros from now on.

They make it look so simple and easy, that every time I have one replaced, I tell myself that I will do the next one. But then I remember the one time I tore my brand new seal, and tell myself "never again".

To me, it is just cheaper and easier to let someone who does it for a living do it. Plus, I get a warranty against leaks.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:47 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Just pay the money

I am all for doing it yourself. But sometimes . . .

Every town has a Auto/Car/Junkyard street or area. Entry level in the "Auto repair" business is the tire guy. Plugs and salvaged full size spares are their specialities. Right next door is the glass guy. Vent windows (in the old days), window glass and windshields.

Negotiate a bit and, in this economy, you will get a while-you-wait install for less than the price of the tools, supplies and gas you would have to buy to do the job yourself. AND you are recyling AND employing neighbors AND patronizing local businesses.

Quick Reply: help.. how to install winshield