Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help with coolant leak/engine tick

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 6cyl
Default Help with coolant leak/engine tick

OK I know the whole "use the search bar" thing and Ive searched it and read a bunch of threads and I'm still unsure so I'm asking for help clarifying. Today i was doing some minor work on the engine trying to look for a lifter tick since i just did an oil change last week and it didn't fix anything. I looked over and noticed the coolant bottle is almost empty (maybe 1/2" of it left) which i found odd because it was perfectly fine a few days ago. the coolant looked dirty so i disconnected the hose from the bottle and aimed it into a cup. A bit of brown fluid poured into the cup along with little black and white specks that appear to be metal (you can kinda see them in the picture). the coolant used to be light green so i started looking on the forum and read a bunch of threads leading me to believe it could possibly be a blown head gasket. i can see a bunch of the coolant on random hoses and wires under the engine which clearly means its leaking from somewhere. also there's been what sounds like lifter knock lately. i haven't taken the valve cover off yet or looked at the oil (oil was replaced last week). but what can you guys suggest and how do you suggest i go about it? I'm fairly new when it comes to this kind of stuff but i can certainly handle most of it and i learn quickly so any ideas are appreciated.
Help with coolant leak/engine tick-collant-1.jpgHelp with coolant leak/engine tick-coolant-2.jpg
Old 01-26-2012, 07:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

First of all, the bottle is not supposed to be full. There should be some sort of markings on the side that say where it should be. Also, does your xj overheat? If it doesn't, it's probably not a blown head gasket, rather leaking from elsewhere (for example, a old, brittle leaky hose). Clean off all the leaked coolant and then start the car and with it running, watch your engine and try and see where it's coming from.

And in regards to your lifter, you're going to need to take off that valve cover gasket to see what's going on
Old 01-26-2012, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
First of all, the bottle is not supposed to be full. There should be some sort of markings on the side that say where it should be. Also, does your xj overheat? If it doesn't, it's probably not a blown head gasket, rather leaking from elsewhere (for example, a old, brittle leaky hose). Clean off all the leaked coolant and then start the car and with it running, watch your engine and try and see where it's coming from.

And in regards to your lifter, you're going to need to take off that valve cover gasket to see what's going on
No the bottle isn't full but there is a full line and an add line and the coolant level is about 3" down from the add line/ almost empty. I only had one experience with the engine overheating when I first got it but haven't noticed anything since. I'll try running it and looking for a leak tomorrow but for now I'm gonna take off the valve cover and check everything underneath. Thanks
Old 01-26-2012, 08:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Well chances are that level is dropping cause of that leak so track it down!!
Old 01-27-2012, 05:43 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

What brand of oil filter did you install at this last oil change? Was the tick there before the oil change?
Old 01-27-2012, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
What brand of oil filter did you install at this last oil change? Was the tick there before the oil change?
i used a K&N and yeah the tick was there for about 2 weeks before so i figured it just needed an oil change
Old 01-27-2012, 02:44 PM

found coolant leaking from the water pump so I'm going to replace it next week and then flush the system to see if that solves the dirty coolant problem.