Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

minor odd behaviors of my jeep

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 02:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default minor odd behaviors of my jeep

1998 xj 4.0 90,000mi

When I turn my high beams on, my passenger headlight shuts off, but if I turn my lights off and back on it comes back. Also after driving for about 15 minutes, my idle is about 1,500-1,800rpms until i tap the gas and it drops to about 900-1000 and idles nice. next, my dual electric fans seem to be on ALL THE TIME with the motor running, not just when needed and they are LOUD. Lastly is a general vague issue..small oil leak...I havent really looked too much in to it, but its a small leak after driving about 30-40 minutes and parking for about an hour there is a 2-3" puddle and it looks like the pan is wet from it. oil pan gasket maybe?

I just bought this Jeep yesterday so I don't know TOO MUCH about its history. It runs strong and smooth now though just the usual jeep issues with the age and the ones listed above.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by CherokeeOutlaw
1998 xj 4.0 90,000mi

When I turn my high beams on, my passenger headlight shuts off, but if I turn my lights off and back on it comes back. Also after driving for about 15 minutes, my idle is about 1,500-1,800rpms until i tap the gas and it drops to about 900-1000 and idles nice. next, my dual electric fans seem to be on ALL THE TIME with the motor running, not just when needed and they are LOUD. Lastly is a general vague issue..small oil leak...I havent really looked too much in to it, but its a small leak after driving about 30-40 minutes and parking for about an hour there is a 2-3" puddle and it looks like the pan is wet from it. oil pan gasket maybe?

I just bought this Jeep yesterday so I don't know TOO MUCH about its history. It runs strong and smooth now though just the usual jeep issues with the age and the ones listed above.
Your high beam issue is probably the bulb/sealed unit. I would suggest swapping your left with your right to see if the problem follows the headlight or the harness.

The idle issue you described could be caused by a number of things, the most likely being a vacuum line that is leaking.

Your electric fan issue could be a failing thermostat or a faulty relay

Virtually all Jeep oil pans leak. If it gets to the point that it becomes excessive (as you've described) it's time to change the oil pan gasket. It's a good idea to swap in a new oil pump while you're in there.

I'm sure others will chime in with advice.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by F1Addict
Your high beam issue is probably the bulb/sealed unit. I would suggest swapping your left with your right to see if the problem follows the headlight or the harness.

The idle issue you described could be caused by a number of things, the most likely being a vacuum line that is leaking.

Virtually all Jeep oil pans leak. If it gets to the point that it becomes excessive (as you've described) it's time to change the oil pan gasket. It's a good idea to swap in a new oil pump while you're in there.

All the same ideas I was thinking thanks for re assuring me
Old 01-27-2012, 02:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by F1Addict

leak looks like a combo of the rear main seal and some transmission hoses...valvoline didn't seem too worried about it.