Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

help asap dd timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default help asap dd timing chain

I just ripped everything apart to change the timing chain. The engine is at cylinder one tdc compression stroke verified by spark plug hole visual and the distributor. The key is straight up on the crank and the 0 mark was spot on the timing cover.

...now the cam sprocket is a complete 180 degrees off with it's mark in relation to the mark on the crank sprocket. I know as long as they are in perfect timing it is ok but i wanted to make sure before i take the old chain off and install the new one that mine isn't supposed to be installed like this.

I was taught and read that the marks should line up next to each other on the cam and crank sprockets. Right now they are both at around the 11 o'clock position.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by ljobbins
I just ripped everything apart to change the timing chain. The engine is at cylinder one tdc compression stroke verified by spark plug hole visual and the distributor. The key is straight up on the crank and the 0 mark was spot on the timing cover.

...now the cam sprocket is a complete 180 degrees off with it's mark in relation to the mark on the crank sprocket. I know as long as they are in perfect timing it is ok but i wanted to make sure before i take the old chain off and install the new one that mine isn't supposed to be installed like this.

I was taught and read that the marks should line up next to each other on the cam and crank sprockets. Right now they are both at around the 11 o'clock position.

Are you sure it's not at #6 TDC. Try rotating the crank 180 degrees and see if the sprocket marks line up.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988

It was on cyl 1 tdc for sure but I got it figured out. My chain just ended up being put back on exactly how it came off and I then checked the number of pins with the fsm instructions and got the same amount. Runs fine and replacing it was pretty easy. Definitely better to take off as many accessories as possible around the timing cover to make things easier(more room) instead of trying to work around things. I just wanted to double check things before I screwed up the timing and wasted tons of time. Thanks