Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Hello Again, Time to address Jeeps Issues. Heater, steering, idle.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.7 Stroker I6
Default Hello Again, Time to address Jeeps Issues. Heater, steering, idle.

Hi again guys! I'm going to be finally showing the Jeep some much needed love this and next month. I want to take it to the mountains a lot this winter and actually start doing some trailing.

I plan on FINALLY completing my lift, it will include new curved lower control arms and sway bar drop brackets
All new front stuff, tie rods, links, ball end joints
Sway bar bushings

What does everyone think of ebay parts for the steering stuff?
Or places to get good steering parts/kits? I was looking at jeep4x4center, like this
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product...050.82#details

What else should I get up front? Like do I need new bump stops or rubber pads for the springs to sit in?

The next issue I need to fix is the heat, because driving in 20 degrees snow/rain with the windows open is no fun...

I replaced the heater switch then the resistor with a jy one and it seemed to work for a bit but then not. It could have just been a good day though, it works when it wants to. In the past it has worked to where I could change fan speeds. I usually just leave it on high now and it hasent came on full blast in along time but sometimes it will come on low.

So what else do I need to look for, is the blower just shot? Bad resistor from the JY? How much luck will I have with a JY blower motor?

And last and least of my concerns is the idle. Its really rough when its cold but at around 700 in park or stopped in gear. After it warms up the idle smooths out good when stopped in gear but when you put it in park it often goes up to idle around 1200+

Ideas?

Thanks everyone this place rocks

Last edited by darknezz; 12-06-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

If the blower motor is changing speeds on you, the problem is not likely the motor itself. This is a "control electronics" problem. As you replaced the switch, it is more likely the stepdown resistor block.

For the idle issue, I would try cleaning the throttle body and the idle air control. They get carboned up over time and miles. Cleaning can sometimes restore function and is just a good idea in general.

The Idle Air Control (IAC) is mounted on the back of the throttle body. The valve controls the idle speed of the engine by controlling the amount of air flowing through the air control passage. It consists of a stepper motor that moves a pintle shaped plunger in and out of the air control passage. When the valve plunger is moved in, the air control passage flows more air which raises the idle speed. When the valve plunger is moved out, the air control passage flows less air which lowers the idle speed. Over time and miles, the IAC can get carboned up which can have an adverse affect on idle quality. Cleaning the IAC may restore proper function and is an easy procedure to perform and good preventive maintenance so it is never a bad idea.

CLEANING THE JEEP 4.0 IDLE AIR CONTROL

Remove the air filter cover, associated hoses and the rubber boot that goes from the air filter cover to the throttle body. Remove the IAC with a torx driver (2 bolts; one can be kind of hard to get to)

“Gently” wiggle out the IAC from the throttle body. Gasket on the IAC can be re-used if it is not damaged

Clean the IAC with a spray can of throttle body cleaner; inexpensive and available at any place that sells auto parts. Throttle body cleaner is recommended rather than carburetor cleaner as it is less harsh, safe for throttle body coatings and is best for this task. Use cleaner, a rag and a toothbrush and or Q-Tips. Be gentle; don’t twist or pull on the pintle that protrudes from the IAC as it is fragile and you could damage it.

Thoroughly spray clean and flush where the IAC seats in the throttle body with the same spray cleaner

It is also a good idea to clean the entire throttle body itself, the butterfly valve inside of the throttle body and all associated linkage as long as you have things disassembled

Reinstall IAC and check idle quality
Old 12-06-2010, 07:02 PM

Yeah I've thought that I just got a bad resistor at the JY.

Thanks for the write up, but I should have added above that when I got the Jeep early this year I did a FULL maintenance on it including taking all that apart and cleaning things. Maybe it needs it again. I'm pretty sure it does need a FPR, but didnt know if that could make the idle go way high, IAC might be the issue.

I've been maintaining my cars for quite awhile and have done full engine rebuilds/swaps so just saying, I'm not new to this stuff. Was just looking for ideas though.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:56 AM

So about the steering parts...

What is the deal with the rugged ridge tie rod and drag link kit. I have found it for $160 in the "HD" model for the cherokee or GC. It says for 4" lift and up.

I'll be doing a ~4.5in lift at the same time.

I've heard it isnt good for more road driving? My drag link has that adjuster and is shaped different than the rugged ridge.

Opinions?

What about this full kit for the GC, it would fit right?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ball-...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by darknezz; 12-07-2010 at 03:01 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:12 PM

come on dont make me make a thread just to ask about the steering parts...
Old 12-09-2010, 03:19 PM

STILL NEED TO KNOW ABOUT DRAG LINK/TIE ROD KITS, GET GC, RUGGED RIDGE, OR WHAT?!?!

also an update, I've been letting a friend use my jeep for awhile and he grannys it. I took it out the other day and did some pedal to floor driving and donuts and now its idling really smooth and consistent all the time and starting better.