Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

hella help

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 02:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 cylinder
Default hella help

Today i got a set of Hella 500FF as a early fathers day present from the wifey and i am electrically brain dead. diagrams do nothing but confuse me more can anybody help me with the wiring of these
Old 06-19-2010, 04:13 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 L Inline 6

I got the same kit, and yeah you can forget the dumb diagrams, I will help you no problem, what are you having troubles with?
Old 06-19-2010, 04:33 PM

I will just give you the instructions on how I did it

The very first thing you need to do is strip the end off of all of the blue grounding wires so you can wrap them around a bolt, strip the end of the red wire, strip the end of the green wire, and strip the ends of the black wires coming off the ligts and the relay, you will need to strip about a inch off of the ends of the wires.

1. You want to mount your hellas to your vehicle, and take the blue wire and ground them to the vehicle( I just grounded it to the bolt on the lights)

grounding the blue wire on the lights

2. I then mounted the relay to the fire wall. If I remember right the relay should be in two pieces, you can take the wire piece off while you mount it to the jeep so there isnt as much clutter, but then plug it back into it when mounted, then you want to ground the blue wire on the relay to a bolt on the fire wall somewhere.

3. Take the black wire from the relay as well as both black wires from the lights (the ends all need to be stripped) then you simply twist the wires together very well, get electrical tape and wrap it around the three metal wires that are twisted together.

4.Take the red wire from the relay and wire it to the battery. Make sure it is on the "+" side of the battery.

5. Mount your switch somewhere in your vehicle!

6. You need to take the yellow wire and hook it up to the switch, to do this you will need to get through the fire wall somewhere, I drilled a small hole through mine.

7. You also need to ground your switch, I just grounded it to my engine bay by taking wire and going from the switch through the hole I drilled and into the engine bay, I then attached it to a bolt.

8. This is where I say F*** Hella's diagram, the whole purpose of the green wire is to go to the high beams so when you flip the high beams one it turns allows your hella's to turn on as well, so ideally all you need to do is to hook the green wire up to a "hot" wire. So I did the hot wire that is always hot, because I want to be able to turn on the hellas whenever! So you hook the green wire up to the battery just like the red wire and the other side of the green wire up to your switch!

If you have any more questions, please ask and I will get some picture up for you as well.

Last edited by iowabowhunter1; 06-19-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:58 PM
CF Veteran

Im was stuck on all the wiring but i think i got most of it except what wire i tap into for the high beams.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:09 PM

just take that green wire for the high beams and wire it to your battery like you did with the red wire. It just needs to be on a "hot" wire. which the battery is the true hot wire on your jeep
Old 06-19-2010, 05:12 PM
CF Veteran

o one more question. when wiring it to the switch is the a certain wire that goes to each prong or does it not really matter
Old 06-19-2010, 05:20 PM

If I remember right there are two prongs that are the same color and one that is different, I think you put the blue ground wire from the different colored one, but if that doesnt work, just switch them around until it works!
Old 06-22-2010, 01:50 PM
CF Veteran

ok so i got to wire my hella 500's today i have the relay on the firewall with the power and ground on the battery. i have the power ran to the switch and the switch ground on a bolt under the dash. the wire that you splice into the headlights i did not connect. does this wire have to be connected because the lights are not coming on i checked the bulbs and the fuse and i dont know why the lights are not coming on
Old 06-22-2010, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96 Limited ZJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 w/mods

Yes, that wire needs to be tapped into a hot source such as lo beam, hi beam, parking light wires, or straight to the battery depending on how you want them to work. Wiring to any of the wires I mentioned they will turn on only when that light is turned on. Lo or hi beam turn on, parking light turn on or have the ability to turn on whenever you want then go to the battery.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:06 PM
CF Veteran

ok well heres another problem i bought an aftermarket switch from autozone and it only has two has the power source and ground wire attachment there is no prong to hook up that wire is there a way i can add a prong to the switch... and the green wire isnt connected to the hella lights on to a power source and to the switch. how would that effect the lights not turning on at all. i am not arguing with you, i am new to electrical and just trying to put 2 and 2 together

Last edited by phillyxj570; 06-22-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:27 PM

the only two wires that should go to the battery is the red wire and the green wire, if there is any other wire, that is your problem.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:02 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 L I6 (Ford 4.2L Injector Upgrade and Yellow Top Optima))

so you need one power wire going to the relay AND one power wire going to the switch? My switch has 4 posts... i have one as ground, one as low voltage power (it is a illuminated switch), and one to the relay, and i left one empty... so that empty one should go the the battery and then i should be in business?
Old 06-27-2010, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by gspaceunit
so you need one power wire going to the relay AND one power wire going to the switch? My switch has 4 posts... i have one as ground, one as low voltage power (it is a illuminated switch), and one to the relay, and i left one empty... so that empty one should go the the battery and then i should be in business?

do you have the hella 500?

My hella illuminated switch has only three posts for wires if I remember right, look at one of my pictures, only three wire go through the firewall, I grounded the switch in the engine bay of my jeep, so there is only three wires on hellas 500 standard switch they supply. One that goes to relay, one that goes to hot wire(high beam, low beam, battery, etc....), and one that is a ground. Doesnt sound like you have the same switch. Let me know what lights you have.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96 Limited ZJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 w/mods

Originally Posted by gspaceunit

What type of switch are you using? Can you post a pic?
Old 06-27-2010, 11:02 AM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L
Default Wiring

I have the same lights. I'm going to a hot lead with the green wire, cause I want to use them when I want to. I never attach with bare wire, always use a connector, and if it's exposed to outdoors I will silicone, and black tape it. Don't want to have to redo it in 2-6 months. Live in Washington, lots of wet some times. Also when running through the firewall, wrap with black tape, or rubber grommet. The bare metal can rub through the wires, and short it out from vibration.