Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Heater control fan switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Heater control fan switch

I have a 96 XJ and my plug on the back of heater fan switch looks like the rest of the Jeeps, melted. My fan wont turn on by the switch anymore. I have tested the motor and it is good. I thought it was the resistor because I only had high before it finally cut out, but that wasn't the problem.

So, do I just goto the junk yard and get a new plug and switch for the fan speed? Or is there another way of fixing this?

Also, the fan motor fuse, is it the distribution block under the hood, or under the drivers side kick panel? I have looked at the 97 FSM and it shows fuse 5 and 6 are the fan motor fuses, those are both good. Just want to make sure there isn't another location.

I have hooked up a temp switch just to run my heater since its still below freezing here.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:01 PM

Year: 1995

I bought a brand new switch for my 95, the 96 looks ok.

From what I can tell the failure is that the terminal lugs on the back of the switch are riveted and over time this rivet becomes loose and cause a somewhat of an open/arc ... and heat buildup.

Get a new switch, they can be ordered online.
Google ...... " cherokee blower motor switch " to find them.

If you connector is totally unusable, pulling one from a junkyard might be an option.

I would not pull an old switch though.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:53 PM

Rock auto has them for $8.99, Autozone wants a litte over $30, and Advanced Auto wants $50. I went to NAPA and got it for $13.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:01 AM

Year: 1995

I bought mine from Advanced ... it was listed at $30 and change.

I got it for less by using an online Discount Code.

I think I ended up paying $18 for it.

I used " BIG40 " for the discount code and my $115 order cost me $75.

I pumped up the order with a few extras to get it to $75 after the $40 discount to get FREE SHIPPING.

Actually we bought a lot of stuff and split the order in two to get two discounts!
Old 02-17-2016, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heater/AC Switch plug/switch replacement

So I went through the trouble of replacing the blower motor, the resistor, and now I'm on to the switch/plug issue. I just wanted to fix it all in one shot. I am trying to put the new switch on, I already cut the melted plug and put 56 Series terminals onto each wire in place of the plug. My question is, how do you put the new switch in? Might sound stupid but I can't seem to get the know to line up with the switch setting. I put the old switch on low, removed the control ****, but it doesn't want to go into the new switch properly? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kagroat
So I went through the trouble of replacing the blower motor, the resistor, and now I'm on to the switch/plug issue. I just wanted to fix it all in one shot. I am trying to put the new switch on, I already cut the melted plug and put 56 Series terminals onto each wire in place of the plug. My question is, how do you put the new switch in? Might sound stupid but I can't seem to get the know to line up with the switch setting. I put the old switch on low, removed the control ****, but it doesn't want to go into the new switch properly? Thanks in advance.
That's supposed to say I can't get the **** to line up, not the know
Old 02-18-2016, 07:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

While holding the uninstalled switch in your hand (like it would be installed) and looking at the slot in the back of the switch, you will see a black slider. Using a very small screwdriver or other tool, slide that black slider all the way up, then slide it back down one detent.

With the thumb wheel in the LO position, engage the arm on the thumb wheel in the slot while wiggling the thumb wheel in to its final position.

Operate the thumb wheel through its 4 positions. You should be able to feel the switch fall in to detent at each of the 4 positions.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:34 AM

Default Heater/AC Switch plug/switch replacement

Originally Posted by CCKen
While holding the uninstalled switch in your hand (like it would be installed) and looking at the slot in the back of the switch, you will see a black slider. Using a very small screwdriver or other tool, slide that black slider all the way up, then slide it back down one detent.

With the thumb wheel in the LO position, engage the arm on the thumb wheel in the slot while wiggling the thumb wheel in to its final position.

Operate the thumb wheel through its 4 positions. You should be able to feel the switch fall in to detent at each of the 4 positions.
Thanks a lot again CC, I figured it out last night, it was just dark and I was getting frustrated. The previous owner already put the 56 Series terminals in place of the plastic plug, but they were melted since he didn't bother replacing the key components. I got my heater working like a champ, hopefully I never have to do this fix again.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:47 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Kagroat
Thanks a lot again CC, I figured it out last night, it was just dark and I was getting frustrated. The previous owner already put the 56 Series terminals in place of the plastic plug, but they were melted since he didn't bother replacing the key components. I got my heater working like a champ, hopefully I never have to do this fix again.

Good work.

Name:  cid_A3B75F28-1712-4089-818D-41579707F5F3.gif
Views: 3455
Size:  89.3 KB
Old 11-19-2016, 03:17 PM

Default Need help wiring a toggle

My heater control fan switch is bad need to wire a toggle just to get by the next month got kids n no heat
Old 11-20-2016, 06:43 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Sam Wilson
My heater control fan switch is bad need to wire a toggle just to get by the next month got kids n no heat

How do you propose doing this? See diagram.

It would be easier to replace the blower speed switch than wire in a toggle switch.

See previous posts in this thread.

Name:  94%20HVAC%20Blower%20Circuit.jpg
Views: 4792
Size:  2.51 MB