Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Headlights Randomly Flash

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 07:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0
Default Headlights Randomly Flash

Here's the story: about a year ago i replaced my crappy $10 sylvania sealed beams with the upgraded $24 sylvania silverstar sealed beams. A few months later my headlights started flickering, then eventually died after a week. Took the dash apart and removed the headlight switch only to see a burnt up (slightly melted) connector at the harness. Replaced the switch and boom, headlights worked.... until tonight when it happened again (in front of a county sheriff, he asked some interesting questions.....) I haven't taken the dash apart and removed the switch yet, but i can assume its most likely going to be burnt connectors again. Ive read on a few searched posts, people having these problems with H4 conversion on stock harness, but could those upgraded sealed beams also cause this problem to happen on a stock harness? Last week i could swear I smelt a weird burning plastic, shall we say, sensation..... hmmmmm

Just curious on peoples opinion to replace the switch again or obviously replace the wiring harness
Old 01-18-2013, 07:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Happens on stock headlight systems to. Do a harness and be done with it. And a switch to it sounds like.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

A lot of the time it is caused from the connections are not tight enough. I have had it happen on my 98 2 times. When I replaced it the last time I made sure that everything was nice and tight and put a little dielectric grease on the connections and that was over 2 years ago and never had a problem since. BTW, I do have the H4 head lights with the stock wire harness.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:31 AM
CF Veteran

Ill have to check the connection, just hate taking the dash apart. Havent had a chance to look at the actual harness at the lights yet tho
Old 01-18-2013, 08:01 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

http://www.eautoworks.com/Putco-H4--...s-PRD7540.aspx
Old 01-18-2013, 08:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

More likely than not it's the light switch. Due to the push/pull design, the contacts wear. Pull the switch, tighten up the contacts and put some dielectric on them. Has it happen on my old AMC that used the exact same light switch style.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both switch and harness better safe then sorry.
If you have the patience and flexibility you can take the switch out without removing the lower dash, just expect a few cuts on your fingers.

Last edited by PNWjeeper; 01-18-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:27 PM
CF Veteran

Ordered this earlier, should be here tomorrow....
Old 01-18-2013, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by assetts91
Ordered this earlier, should be here tomorrow....
You won't be sorry. No more fried switchaes and way brighter headlights. Here's some installation instructions. Get those grounds done real well!

Cruiser’s Headlight Upgrade Harness Instructions

It's easy to install a supplemental headlight harness.

From the factory, the voltage to the headlight bulbs travels from the battery, inside the cabin, to the headlamp switch, and then back out to the lamps via undersized wire. It's not uncommon to find only 10.5 volts at the lamps.

The supplemental harness is installed so that it provides battery voltage to the lamps and is just triggered by the factory wiring. The result is about 30% brighter headlamps and headlight switches that don't melt and burn out.

Absolutely plug and play. Remove grille and headlamp bulbs. I fed my harnesses from the passenger side starting between the battery and the back of the headlamp housing, over to the driver side. Plug the driver side bulb into the new harness. Attach the new harness's ground wire under one of the small bolts on the radiator support after scraping the paint off under it. Attach the harness to the existing harness behind the grille working toward the passenger side. . Plug the new harness plug into passenger headlamp. Plug original headlamp plug into receptacle on new harness. Attach the ground for the passenger side just like you did the driver side under a radiator support bolt. Attach relays with provided bracket on the passenger side inner fender. Connect power wires to battery.

Revised 12/10/2012
Old 01-19-2013, 05:42 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cruiser54

You won't be sorry. No more fried switchaes and way brighter headlights. Here's some installation instructions. Get those grounds done real well!

Cruiser’s Headlight Upgrade Harness Instructions

It's easy to install a supplemental headlight harness.

From the factory, the voltage to the headlight bulbs travels from the battery, inside the cabin, to the headlamp switch, and then back out to the lamps via undersized wire. It's not uncommon to find only 10.5 volts at the lamps.

The supplemental harness is installed so that it provides battery voltage to the lamps and is just triggered by the factory wiring. The result is about 30% brighter headlamps and headlight switches that don't melt and burn out.

Absolutely plug and play. Remove grille and headlamp bulbs. I fed my harnesses from the passenger side starting between the battery and the back of the headlamp housing, over to the driver side. Plug the driver side bulb into the new harness. Attach the new harness's ground wire under one of the small bolts on the radiator support after scraping the paint off under it. Attach the harness to the existing harness behind the grille working toward the passenger side. . Plug the new harness plug into passenger headlamp. Plug original headlamp plug into receptacle on new harness. Attach the ground for the passenger side just like you did the driver side under a radiator support bolt. Attach relays with provided bracket on the passenger side inner fender. Connect power wires to battery.

Revised 12/10/2012
Thanks! I had to do Saturday delivery to get it fixed asap. I also ordered the autopal h4 housings but those won't be here till next week.... All the after market **** I've done to my jeep, and headlights never crossed my mind
Old 01-19-2013, 05:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

If plug has and meltage replace it now also .https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/hea...melted-138325/

Last edited by freegdr; 01-19-2013 at 05:52 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:18 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by freegdr
If plug has and meltage replace it now also .https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/hea...melted-138325/
I'll have to see what it looks like. When I replace the harness ill pull apart the dash and take a look at the switch and plug. I'll post a picture as well for comment. It's as easy as splicing in a new plug?
Old 01-19-2013, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by assetts91
I'll have to see what it looks like. When I replace the harness ill pull apart the dash and take a look at the switch and plug. I'll post a picture as well for comment. It's as easy as splicing in a new plug?
Take a look. But, it's not gonna be carrying an excessive load once the supplemental harness is installed anyway.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:28 AM
CF Veteran

I guess the hard part is finding a new plug....
Old 01-19-2013, 07:37 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cruiser54

Take a look. But, it's not gonna be carrying an excessive load once the supplemental harness is installed anyway.
Really looking forward to that putco harness. Ended up being about $60 overnight Saturday shipping from amazon. Sucks,but neccessary

Quick Reply: Headlights Randomly Flash