Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

headlight harness upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Default headlight harness upgrade

I have a 1994 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 with 169k. I have had it for about 3 months and slowly doing some basic maintenance to make it a daily driver. I read with much interest about upgrading the headlights because as everyone knows, the stock ones are dim (to say the least). I decided to do with a custom harness from Daniel Stern lighting after reading all the recent problems on Amazon with the Putco harness. I am in the process of installing it and from the description in the XJ write-up section on installing a new harness, it looked easy. However, I can not find the headlamp connector that I would plug the new harness into. I assumed it was on the passenger side close to the battery. Am I totally blind or ?? Attached is a picture of the harness with the male connector that I need to plug into the original headlamp connector.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails headlight harness upgrade-dscn1862.jpg  
Old 08-31-2013, 11:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Isn't it attached to a headlamp?
Old 08-31-2013, 11:50 AM

If it is, I sure can't find it! I have the headlight unplug on the passenger side and follow the wire but can not find the wiring harness plug-in spot. I can find where it goes over to the drivers side but I am assuming the plug-in in close to the battery area.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

No need to follow the wire, just plug the dingle-dongle into the passenger side headlight connector.

Last edited by Turbo X_J; 08-31-2013 at 12:37 PM. Reason: cuz i kan
Old 08-31-2013, 12:00 PM

Year: 1998 and 1988
Engine: 4.7

Harness should plug to:battery (power), lights x 2 (duh), one factory light socket(harness relay on/off/HB/LB control).

You don't have to connect directly to factory socket. I followed lines to splice it in as close to relays as possible to use less unnecessary wire.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:07 PM

man, I am such an idiot! Of course it does, that is what they say to do.
Thanks so much!
Old 08-31-2013, 09:16 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Cruiser’s Headlight Upgrade Harness Instructions

It's easy to install a supplemental headlight harness.

From the factory, the voltage to the headlight bulbs travels from the battery, inside the cabin, to the headlamp switch, and then back out to the lamps via undersized wire. It's not uncommon to find only 10.5 volts at the lamps.

The supplemental harness is installed so that it provides battery voltage to the lamps and is just triggered by the factory wiring. The result is about 30% brighter headlamps and headlight switches that don't melt and burn out.

Absolutely plug and play. Remove grille and headlamp bulbs. I fed my harnesses from the passenger side starting between the battery and the back of the headlamp housing, over to the driver side. Plug the driver side bulb into the new harness. Attach the new harness's ground wire under one of the small bolts on the radiator support after scraping the paint off under it. Attach the harness to the existing harness behind the grille working toward the passenger side. . Plug the new harness plug into passenger headlamp. Plug original headlamp plug into receptacle on new harness. Attach the ground for the passenger side just like you did the driver side under a radiator support bolt. Attach relays with provided bracket on the passenger side inner fender. Connect power wires to battery.
Revised 12/10/2012
Old 08-31-2013, 09:44 PM

and what I didn't read or pay attention to was "Plug original headlamp plug into receptacle on new harness."
It was very clear on every instructions that I read but at the time, I was....

It is very easy and I will use this example to make sure that before I post again, that I read and re-read, print out and read again re-read things before I ask! The answer was there but I was frustrated and impatient!

This forum has helped me with so much...again thanks to everyone who contributes to the wealth of knowledge that is on this forum
Old 08-31-2013, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by ks94cherokee
and what I didn't read or pay attention to was "Plug original headlamp plug into receptacle on new harness."
It was very clear on every instructions that I read but at the time, I was....

It is very easy and I will use this example to make sure that before I post again, that I read and re-read, print out and read again re-read things before I ask! The answer was there but I was frustrated and impatient!

This forum has helped me with so much...again thanks to everyone who contributes to the wealth of knowledge that is on this forum

Well, since you humbled yourself and admitted readily to your oversight, we won't beat up on you. You're gonna love that harness!!!!!
Old 08-31-2013, 10:18 PM

oh I do and I can't wait to upgrade the lights now that I have the juice; between this upgrade and going with www.kelleyswip.com battery cables, I am getting there!
It is almost simple if you read, read and read some more!
Old 08-31-2013, 10:29 PM

oh I do and I can't wait to upgrade the lights now that I have the juice; between this upgrade and going with www.kelleyswip.com battery cables, I am getting there!
It is almost simple if you read, read and read some more!
Those 2 things make a world of difference.

Autopals with good bulbs will serve you well. I use 90/100 Phillips bulbs in mine. Nobody gets pissed when approaching me and I can see a country mile. Good thin cuz I live in the country.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:12 AM

I am leaning towards Cibie replaceable-bulb headlamp units with Osram 70/65w bulbs; both suggested to me by Daniel Stern Lighting. I do live outside town but drive a lot in town so need to make sure I don't great lights that don't upset other drivers. And of course properly aiming the lights are extremely important!
Old 09-01-2013, 09:26 AM

I am leaning towards Cibie replaceable-bulb headlamp units with Osram 70/65w bulbs; both suggested to me by Daniel Stern Lighting. I do live outside town but drive a lot in town so need to make sure I don't great lights that don't upset other drivers. And of course properly aiming the lights are extremely important!
I'm sure Cibies are fine, just pricey for the difference in performance over the Autopals.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:56 AM

I will have to ask me what he prefers them so much