Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Head Gasket or Cracked Block

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Default Head Gasket or Cracked Block

So after spending the last few weeks trying unsuccessfully to remedy my ever-worsening engine troubles, I finally decided to take it to a mechanic.

Unfortunately, when he called he talked to my dad (the shop is closed for the day now) so I couldn't get any more information than "he said its a blown head gasket or cracked block".

So here's my question:

What questions should I be asking when I do get a chance to talk to him tomorrow?
Old 03-12-2013, 05:58 PM
Banned

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

how much?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Make sure that it's not a cracked head and not the block.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:25 PM

I mean, what I meant was:

I don't have the money for a mechanic to fix it: period. If it's the gasket, I would like to replace it, but I want to know what I'm getting into (i.e. I don't want to go through replacing it only to find that the leak has caused other problems that I can't fix). So are there things I should ask him to check before I take it out of the shop?
Old 03-12-2013, 07:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by VWise
I mean, what I meant was:

I don't have the money for a mechanic to fix it: period. If it's the gasket, I would like to replace it, but I want to know what I'm getting into (i.e. I don't want to go through replacing it only to find that the leak has caused other problems that I can't fix). So are there things I should ask him to check before I take it out of the shop?
What year XJ are we talking about?

If it's the block, well then you kind of need to replace that, and well, you can probably get a block from a junkyard for a few hundred if that.

I was going to say to check the oil pressure. If it's bad, it probably means your bearings are shot as well. However, if you get another block - you don't need to worry about this. (unless it was scrapped due to a bad engine as well.)

I'd check the head and make sure that's not cracked. The head on my 99 just cracked and i'm currently fixing it. Cost about $600 for a new head, new gaskets, etc etc. Could of been worse i guess.

Last edited by HudsonN; 03-12-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

i would have the main and rod bearings inspected... if coolant got into the oil and isnt caught soon enough it will trash those first and you wind up either swapping in a new engine or rebuilding what you have.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:48 PM

It's an 88 six cylinder.

And thanks for the suggestions! I'm still a relative newbie to doing my own repairs, so there's a lot I just wouldn't think of (like the bearings).
Old 03-13-2013, 09:29 PM

Okay, one last question:

How heavy is the head? I haven't really been able to find any information on that point, and although my ego would like to believe otherwise I'm beginning to suspect that I'm going to need to rig some sort of pulley system in order to pull it out -- I'm a rather petite 5'2 lady, and the lack of both proper leverage and strength has been a real issue in doing some of these repairs.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by VWise
Okay, one last question:

How heavy is the head? I haven't really been able to find any information on that point, and although my ego would like to believe otherwise I'm beginning to suspect that I'm going to need to rig some sort of pulley system in order to pull it out -- I'm a rather petite 5'2 lady, and the lack of both proper leverage and strength has been a real issue in doing some of these repairs.
It's about 60 Lbs. Problem is it's long and awkward. You'll find it easier with 2 people regardless of the weight, it's easier to set back in place.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Radi

It's about 60 Lbs. Problem is it's long and awkward. You'll find it easier with 2 people regardless of the weight, it's easier to set back in place.
I can't imagine one person alone being able to pick up and handle a head on their own, even with two people its kind of sketchy. Almost broke my dads wrist haha. Grab a friend and communicate before you try and move it.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

This can get pretty involved and rather expensive.

If it still runs, your best course may be to go trade it in for a newer vehicle.

Making payments is sometimes easier than fixing an older vehicle that is past it's prime.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:34 PM

Year: 2000

Changing out a head isn't real difficult. Money and time may be the only problem. My 88 manche had a cracked head so the head was removed and it sat for at lease 5 years before I bought it. Cleaned up the cylinders, slapped a good used head on and it fired right up.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by JerrytheJeep
I can't imagine one person alone being able to pick up and handle a head on their own, even with two people its kind of sketchy. Almost broke my dads wrist haha. Grab a friend and communicate before you try and move it.

How do most people pull their head? I removed the exhaust and intake manifolds from it, and when i pulled mine i pulled just the head out solo.

I had no problems at all pulling that thing out of the engine and tossing it up on a workbench. I honestly didn't even think it was that heavy, and by no means am i a macho man.

I just undid all the head bolts, slide the head slightly off the block, grabbed it by the thermostat housing hole and by the back end. Wasn't bad at all.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:11 PM

Year: 98

I just tore the head off my 98. i opted to remove the manifolds first, since i was planning on taking the block out anyway. Then i just got climbed on the bumper and found a good spot for my left foot in the engine bay to allow me to hover over it. Then I hillbilly hulked it out with both hands. In hindsight, I coulda used a hand to transfer it to once it was free of the dowels so I could climb down without resting it on my fender. It wasn't heavy, just awkward doing it alone.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000

You never explained your original symptoms. Why did you take it to a mechanic in the first place?