Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Hard starts, surging, high idle??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L AWD
Exclamation Hard starts, surging, high idle??

I recently replaced my CCV/PCV hoses and fittings as well as cleaned the baffles inside the valve cover and the two fittings on the intake. I replaced the valve cover gasket as well. I replaced the CCV/PCV hoses and fittings with factory parts and they are new. The VC gasket is a cork/rubber Fel-pro.

Since I did all of this my idle, cold or hot, is high sometimes. In park it will sit at 1,000rpm cold or hot... in drive it will sit at 1,000rpm cold or hot. Sometimes the engine with not fire unless I floor the throttle while cranking. This happens after I have driven it for the first time in a day... meaning for the rest of the time I start it and drive it throughout the day. When I slow down to stop, the engine will rev up on its own, sometimes as high as 2,000rpm each time the tranny downshifts. If I let the engine run for a while when parked, the idle will eventually drop back to about 750rpm in park, slightly less in drive.

I decided to pull the throttle body and IAC and clean both of them completely... no change and I did use a new TB gasket when I put it back together. I checked all hoses, vacuum lines and connections that I ever may have come in contact with... all seems fine EXCEPT for one hose... it looks to be a fuel line at the front, radiator end of the engine, the top fuel line I believe... I barely touched it and I saw fuel come out. It the one at the front of the fuel rail and it has an identical looking hose below it... this top one concerns me as I have NO CLUE if this is a high pressure line or a return or if this may be somehow causing the surging, idle issues and sometimes hard starts.

Does anyone have ANY clue what my mystery issue is? It is acting like this 80% of the time now... the other 20% it is normal and I miss it being 20% 100% of the time. Please help. Thanks.

Mike
Old 01-25-2011, 01:08 AM

Model: Cherokee

Stupid question but did you check the throttle position sensor? And did you mess with the butterfly/throttle cables during your cleaning? Basing this on my honda experience so I might be completely wrong but I replaced the throttle body on my crx and it would crank and immediately jump to like 2k rpms because the throttle cable needed adjustment.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Trace
Stupid question but did you check the throttle position sensor? And did you mess with the butterfly/throttle cables during your cleaning? Basing this on my honda experience so I might be completely wrong but I replaced the throttle body on my crx and it would crank and immediately jump to like 2k rpms because the throttle cable needed adjustment.
I had the tps off for the cleaning but the jeep was acting up before that. I put it back the same way it was before........ the only thing different as far as the throttle cables go is.... I removed the cable from the TB for the cruise control....

Old 01-25-2011, 05:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

first thing i would do is check for codes even if cel is not on, then check for vacuum leaks
Old 01-25-2011, 06:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

"Barely touching a fuel line" should not cause a leak. You need to resolve this.

Could this be leading to your fuel pressure regulator?

I'd consider testing two things. 1. Your throttle position sensor. 2. Your fuel pressure WITH a gauge. Only with a gauge can you tell how your fuel delivery is.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by tjwalker
"Barely touching a fuel line" should not cause a leak. You need to resolve this.

Could this be leading to your fuel pressure regulator?

I'd consider testing two things. 1. Your throttle position sensor. 2. Your fuel pressure WITH a gauge. Only with a gauge can you tell how your fuel delivery is.
Here are some pics of the line that is leaking... however, it is only leaking when the fuel pump pressurizes the system and I can only see it leak if I touch the hose a little bit. But when it leaks it pours out bad. Is there an O ring in there or is this a part that can be fixed easily? Now, this sat all night and I just primed it with the key a little bit ago... before I turned the key to prime it, the fuel did not leak from this connector. I do not smell a raw fuel smell while driving. One last thing... The O2 sensor is I am sure coated in soot, oil, smoke, grime, muck, fuel, leaves, sand, and chocolate syrup... I know O2 sensors are important but would it cause surging and high idle? Hard starts?

Old 01-25-2011, 10:57 AM

Not trying to be rude but... Bump please, anyone...

Old 01-25-2011, 04:50 PM

Default Problem solved... $0.10 part

Ok, I have fixed the issue with my high idle and surging as well as hard starts. The problem was the connector at the fuel rail... the fuel line next to the one connected to where the FPR is. The connection was leaking where it is indicated in my pic. I went to the parts store (Advance Auto Parts) and the guy said to try this (a gasoline approved fuel line O ring) a very thin ring. Took the connection apart and shimmied the O ring on... at this point I had to force the connector back on but it did snap into place. This has sealed the leak perfectly. The first two times I got the engine running it was still acting up, by the third time the fuel system had purged all the air and it immediately fixed itself. Now, starts every time without touching the accelerator, no more surging, no more high idle.

If anyone has had these issues, please refer to this thread and check those fuel lines at the fuel rail... especially if you have had your arms under the hood moving things and bumping stuff.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:59 PM

Well congrats on fixing it