Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Getting to the back of the instruments panel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 TD
Default Getting to the back of the instruments panel?

Evening guys & girls,

My nice Red LEDs have arrived today, I'm planning a Vampire red light theme on my Black Bess, I've done the easy one the transfer but I don't know how to get to the back of the instruments panel.
I've had the bottom part of the dash/ steering column apart today to fit a missile switch for my spots which works but I can't see how the dash panel comes to bits Mines a R/H drive but that shouldn't matter if someone can get me started I'm sure I'll work the rest out !
I have 5 194/501 type red Leds which I'm led to believe is enough to re-bulb the instruments?
Old 09-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

once you have the steering column cover off, then loosen the long panel below the dash that goes all the way across behind the ashtray (lots of little screws and 2 bigger ones on each end that unscrew straight down). There were lots of wires attached to various things on my lower panel so I just unscrewed it and pulled it down out of the way. Once that is off, the big bezel that goes around the gauges and radio/heater control has a few screws in it, once those are out it will snap straight out. Then you will see the bolts that hold the gauges in above and below them. Once you get the gauge cluster out there are small bulb sockets on the back of it that twist out, mine were grey.

Some of the bulbs in the gauges (the top 3) are for the high beam and flashers/turns and looked weird when I switched mine, so I put the white incandescents back in. there's one on each side for the 2 small gauges and one on each side for the large gauges IIRC. I used four of the 194-type leds in mine. I put bulbs in my heater controls while I had it open too but I think they were the smaller 74-types.

On a side note, I found a lot of missing screws when I pulled off the bezel so it might be handy to have a few extras before you get it all apart. Good luck!
Old 09-28-2011, 04:18 PM

Thank you very much for the reply Just what I needed I know what I'll be doing Sunday !

I'm only going to change the gauges the rest I'm going to leave stock I'm also going to change the footwell lights so I get a carpet of red light getting in and out, apart from liking the look this is my fox hunting vehicle and I'm told red has the least effect on night vision.

How did you get on with the red ?
Old 09-28-2011, 04:32 PM

Just read your build thread, red is the new green don'tcha know ? Liking the footwell lights just need to source some on ebay uk now !
Old 09-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Seasoned Member

haha cool, was wonderin if you'd check my pics! For the green footwells, I used the SMD panels and made my own mounts for up above the pedals so I could angle it towards the door and get better coverage. Little did I know this was really smart and it actually reaches the ground, so my dog can see where he's landing when I open the door and he jumps out at night! I spliced longer wire into the SMD panel kits I found on Ebay so I could plug them into the courtesy sockets and have them located remotely. I spliced more wires in there and added some more SMD pods so they would all function with the door switch. Haven't run into any current issues since the LEDs have such low draw!

Just remember to check the LED polarity and make sure they all come on (if not just flip the contacts +to-) before you put everything back together!!! Also, with red I've found it puts out less lumens than other colors like green or blue, so sometimes you have to up the power of the LEDs. They make 1W and 1.5W SMD bulbs with a 194-type socket and the 1.5W guys are insanely bright, so if your regular LEDs aren't bright enough anywhere, know there are other options without changing colors!

I've always sourced my leds/smds here in the US so I can't recommend any UK vendors, or I would. Have fun and be sure to post pics when you're done!
Old 09-30-2011, 10:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Good info.

I gotta figure out how to disassemble my gauge cluster.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: I6

What's your us source? I've been considering this mod...
Old 10-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Another thing I find helpful but forgot to mention is a magnetic screwdriver. Before I got me one of those, I was dropping screws into the dash all the time - and only half of them ever came out! If this is also your pickle, they sell boxed hardware/screw assortments for under 10 bucks at the hardware stores that have most of the screws for the dash panels and gauges, etc all in one kit.

I get all my LEDs from Ebay sellers in the US. Their pricing is way below other internet sites and they have newer technology and a better selection. I will put "SMD" in my search along with the color and bulb type if I'm looking for a particular fitting. The bulb types listed in the Jeep owners manuals are the types I use in my searches - most sellers list the compatibility by bulb type, and some also have measurements. The measurements helped when I put White SMD panels in my dome lights!

I have yet to have any problems with melting or bulb failure in any of the ones I've used. I've gotten them from many different places, and they all seem to have pretty good durability after 6 months of driving on dirt washboards and what not. From what I can tell, there is no one seller that's better than another.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Good info.

I gotta figure out how to disassemble my gauge cluster.

It helps to be a contortionist! (or have a helper monkey)

but in all seriousness, make sure to start by disabling the airbag (if ya got one) and then removing the steering column cover. Makes the rest come off a lot easier!

Last edited by Potatowalker; 10-01-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:23 AM

Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

Dude, I do this ALL THE TIME at the pick n pull, I take all the bulbs and what not. A lot easier when you're working on a junker though... Doesn't matter if broken junks of plastic go flying everywhere... haha.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Yeah, cuz no one else may need those pieces your breaking to get at what you need...

Do you break everything on the vehicle to get the one part you need?
Old 10-03-2011, 12:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: I6

Lol @ breaking a $10 clear plastic part to get $2 worth of used lamps...
Old 10-03-2011, 09:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

If you can't figure out how to get it apart go to the Junk yard and take/break a junker

Last edited by Rustydog555; 10-03-2011 at 12:50 PM.