Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Frothyness in my air filter

Old 11-20-2010, 06:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6, 4.ol
Default Frothyness in my air filter

Hey, I have looked around but as so many others, havnt found another person with exactly the same problem. I have oil in my air filter, I know its my pcv valve and am not worried about that at the moment. What I am worried about, is that their is also a frothy substance on my filter, I always see this same substance on dodges when I change their oil at work at the fill cap, just not sure what it is and dont want to wait till tomorrow to ask one of the mechanics at work. Other then discribing it as a whitish, frothy substance, kinda like whipped creme I dont know how to explain it, any help is appreciated, thanks! And of course the all mighty picture because as we all know,
-Phil
Attached Thumbnails Frothyness in my air filter-dscf1246.jpg  
Old 11-20-2010, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

My 91 Festiva had the same problem, kinda. It has the same thick white oily substance on the bottom of the filler cap, but had no coolant/head gasket issues...then again, I think if you add enough moisture to oil it turns that color, correct me if I'm wrong. It might be old oil coming through the CCV system and then mixing with moisture in the intake. I would clean it all out and drive it for a while to see if it returns.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:02 PM

Cant hurt, I just hate driving to work knowing something is wrong with my love of my life. I drive `100 miles a day and my worst fear is being on the side of the road with her, lol! Oh well, it will be fine till tuesday when I go back to work and ask one of the techs...
Old 11-20-2010, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

What's the consistency of that stuff? The crap on my Festiva was extremely thick, smooth but almost paste like.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:06 PM

Its the same here, and come to think of it, its the same on every vehicle I have seen it on. I almost think its just build up in the top end near the oil fill cap that is getting sucked through now that the pcv valve is shot...
Old 11-20-2010, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 HO

It's moisture, if you're getting it in your air filter then it must be significant. On a side note, I used to live in Yelm/Roy. Coach
Old 11-20-2010, 07:18 PM

Nice! I just moved to Roy, I live off of 317th! just havnt changed the home town yet. What could be causing a significant amount of moisture such as this?
Old 11-21-2010, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0 HO

Do you have the same crap on the underside of your oil filler cap? What does the oil on your dipstick look like? Sometimes you can get moisture in your oil by not letting the vehicle get up to temp, for example just putting around town when it's cold out but it would take awhile and knowing where you live, you have to drive a ways to get to anything so that's probably not it. Worst case is you are getting water in your oil through head gasket. Coach
Old 11-21-2010, 08:36 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.o

Yes thats moisture combined with a non functioning ccv system. clean out the valve cover and lines to the intake/airbox,
Old 11-21-2010, 11:04 AM

Oil on the dip stick looks perfect, nice and golden, believe it or not other then routine maintenence, this renix runs PERFECT. Starts after 6 turns every time, haha. There is no foam on the cap either, so I am going to start by like you said, cleaning the valve cover, replacing the PCV valve, and replace the lines. No harm in it, needs to be done anyways. Thanks for the input everyone, hopefully it gets done soon.