Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Front Supsension, Wheel Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Front Supsension, Wheel Wobble

I own a 99 xj with a 4 inch suspension lift on 15in rim and 32's Maxxis M/T.

Recently I snapped all my wheel studs on the driver side wheel due to not having it balanced or alignment. I have still yet to get a balance and alignment because the problem stopped, but just a couple days ago I started to get a wobble in my driver side wheel. I didn't label this topic as DW because it's not a DW it only wobbles when I am breaking around 40mph other than that and riding a little rough(Due to no Balance) it rides fine. But just yesterday I was driving it and when I was turning at about 10mph the drive side wheel felt like it was about to fall completely off and it was hanging on by a thread. So I took it home and took of the wheel and inspected the wheel studs because I thought I snapped them again.... But they ended up being fine. So now I am at the stage of needing some expert jeep advice you could say haha. Right now I am thinking it could be U-Joint's, Wheel Bearing, or that I need new rotors (Could be Warped). Anyways I just wanted to get you guys opinion and advice on this issue as anything will help.

Note: Tomorrow I am going to get a friend to help me check out the front suspension and see if any of the joints are moving

Last edited by Cherokee18; 06-18-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:12 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Could be a wheel bearing terribly bad, or ball joints wore out. Axle joint won't really cause that, maily wheel bearing or ball joints.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:17 PM

Ok yea that's what I thought sadly Anyways thx for replying. Like I said I am going to check out the Ball Joints and Wheel Bearings tomorrow morning!

I will keep you updated

Im pretty sure it's the wheel bearing, I just went outside real quick while it was stick jacked up and moved the wheel back and forth and up and down. It did move a little bit (More than it should)

Last edited by Cherokee18; 06-18-2012 at 11:23 PM.