Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Front End Rebuild - Suggestions/Adivce Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Front End Rebuild - Suggestions/Adivce Needed

So planning to rebuild my front end, I know my steering is wore out and ball joints. I have done the steering multiple times before with stock parts and I continue to have bad wobble/shimmy/shake at higher speeds. This go around was going to do the serious steering 1ton.

I figured my ball joints need to be replaced since they are factory with 287k miles. I was going to do the Spicer ball joints but didn't know if there was any real benefit going with the Alloy USA ones? Either or will last me years, just not sure if there is some huge benefit from Alloy.

Then while its all tore down planned to replace axle u-joints and wheel hubs. Going with Timken for the hubs and Spicer 760x for the u-joints. My question is since the axle will be removed would it be beneficial to get the Alloy USA axle seals? I know D30's only have inner seals. My knuckles are wet like there is a leak. Would this be a possible fix until I get to a point to remove the carrier and do the inners?

And background on the jeep, '96 with BB lift that is soon to be new springs all around, 33's and stock gearing. This is a daily and honestly never really go offroading but if I am replacing it and utilizing my time, I would prefer to do it once and everything possible at that time.

Last edited by CherokeeCam; 05-23-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Unless you wheel really hard, just go with the Spicer ball joints. If you DO wheel hard, go with Alloy USA but I would wager that they are not "that" much heavier duty than the Spicers

The Alloy USA seals are designed to keep dirt out, not fluid in. If you are leaking fluid out of the diff tubes I think the only true fix is inner axle seals. I have no idea how "tight" they seal, but they certainly wouldn't be a bad investment.

Make sure you are running a good steering box spacer as well, with some Grade 5 or 8 bolts for the steering box. Will help with the steering "flexing" a little bit.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

You'd be best off to do the inner axle seals while you have the axle torn apart in the first place .. I run the alloy USA outer seals, as said above they just keep water/dirt out but I like them a lot.