Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Front Axel leaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Front Axle leaking

I had to replace my front passenger wheel bearings a couple weeks ago. I don't know too much bout vehicles so brother was helping. In the process of changing the unit, he was pulling on it cause it had ceased up. He accidentally pulled the whole rod (Axle,I think?) That connects front tire to differential. Started driving jeep again this past Thursday and noticed it's leaking liquid (I think gear oil?) From passenger side coming through by the ball joints. Thought we fixed it this but it's still leaking. Anyway anybody call tell me what the problem is? Or can this not be diagnosed just by describing?

Last edited by Cory Culver; 02-01-2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 Inline

There are seals inside of the tube that the axle shafts pass through. If the shaft was tough to pull it out it might need to be replaced. Plenty of vids on youtube.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:21 PM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

Sure sounds like the inner seal is leaking. You have to be very careful when reinserting the shaft into the differential so as not to tear the seal.

A picture would help diagnose the issue better, before you go about opening up the differential. If the seal is leaking, you will find differential fluid at the bottom of the C of the axle housing, the one that holds the lower ball joint.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by OldTires
Sure sounds like the inner seal is leaking. You have to be very careful when reinserting the shaft into the differential so as not to tear the seal.

A picture would help diagnose the issue better, before you go about opening up the differential. If the seal is leaking, you will find differential fluid at the bottom of the C of the axle housing, the one that holds the lower ball joint.
Gonna try to work on it little more today. Will post a picture. Thought I put both pieces in right.(inside the tube) war a orange circular seal like ring. Will open it up and take pic though. Thanks for your time.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

You must be careful when removing/replacing the axle that you don't damage the seal or it will leak like yours is doing. Take your time and center it up when replacing so the seal isn't damaged.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
You must be careful when removing/replacing the axle that you don't damage the seal or it will leak like yours is doing. Take your time and center it up when replacing so the seal isn't damaged.
Well, since you say this,im thinking he might have damaged it after he accidentally pulled the rod out of the tube. We just pushed it back in and twisted till it fell in its gears.
So, I'm sure we prob did mess up the seal. There's a little box that we were able to open and look where the gears connected in the middle of the rod,maybe I put a seal in backwards? Will post a pic of it later.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:08 PM

Old 02-02-2016, 05:09 PM

Old 02-02-2016, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Cory Culver
I think the groove in the seal is a cut? Maybe that's where it's coming through and running through the axle,leaking.