Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fresh (cold) air intake query...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '01
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Fresh (cold) air intake query...

Hello all,

Edit: I think I posted this in the wrong place a minute ago... sorry

Kelly P. here, new to the forum and not well versed on the whole forum thing, that said... I have searched around and not found an answer pertaining to my particular question.

I would like to fabricate or buy something that will funnel air from outside the engine compartment to my stock air box.
As it sits right now, the air box just has a rectangular intake hole on the front side of the air box, been that way since I got it. It hasn't been hacked or cut in any way.

The issue is obviously 2 fold, I have gotten water into the air box in certain situations posing the risk of hydro-lock (not good!) & the possiblility of a little better power/gas mileage as a result of getting cooler air into the combustion chamber.

I've seen the posts with the K&N style air cleaners etc. but in my mind these are not an option for a couple different reasons, mostly personal preference. Nor is the whole safari snorkel setup (I don't end up anywhere that expense would be beneficial). Ideally, I am just looking to get outside air as opposed to the super heated engine compartment air yet still be reasonably resistant to water logging and such.

Any ideas or successful modifications that I could copycat would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Kelly P.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 190-hp, 4.0-liter I-6

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=XPA
Old 04-24-2013, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

Try searching for cowl snorkels. One can be made very cheaply or you could get a spectre for around $150.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

IIRC, our ScanGauge shows intake air temp at no more than 10* above ambient temp while the XJ is moving. I wouldn't think super heated engine compartment air would enter the stock intake under 99.9% of driving conditions. The intake is just behind the headlight, which is in the cool outside air. I believe the stock filter box has drain holes.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:01 PM

DJB... I believe this to be true but must be missing a part on mine. I've looked at other XJs that come into the shop and it appears that the piece from the air box forward is either an optional piece (highly doubtful) or people just discard it cause they all seem to be missing! LOL
Old 04-24-2013, 03:06 PM

They do have drain holes..... It where All my oil from blow by leaks out of?
Old 04-24-2013, 03:10 PM

That Spectre kit is very intriguing, I have stood staring at the engine compartment quite a few times thinking to myself... "The wiper cowl would be the place to get air from... now HOW exactly do I want to do this?"
I abandoned the idea cause I haven't seen any others done that way, all I can say now is... Hmmmmm LOL Thanks guys!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:29 PM
Resident Zombie Hunter

Year: 1997

ch
Originally Posted by KellyP
That Spectre kit is very intriguing, I have stood staring at the engine compartment quite a few times thinking to myself... "The wiper cowl would be the place to get air from... now HOW exactly do I want to do this?"
I abandoned the idea cause I haven't seen any others done that way, all I can say now is... Hmmmmm LOL Thanks guys!
Check here for Dukie's version of a cowl snorkel. Best one to date and will only cost you about 20-30 bucks depending on if you have the sealant already.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

is it worth $150?
Old 04-24-2013, 03:39 PM
Resident Zombie Hunter

It's a great product. I just dont see a point spending 150 plus shipping if I can walk into any auto store and walk out 20 bucks later to get the items you need. Then you can even use stock air filters and save money down the road as well.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:34 AM

Default Stock '01 intake pic, just for refernce...

Hello again & thanks for all the input, I got a few differing views from the members here (In the "ask a question") section, and it seems the stock air intakes may have changed over time (based on the posts). I am attaching a pic of the stock setup or top view of the '01 XJ.

As you can see from the top view the sheet metal (bottom of image) in front of the air box is solid from the radiator tank outward. The air box has that silly little angled piece (top of image) and that's it! No place to draw air from except the engine compartment.
I just wanted the ones who were questioning "why another route for fresh air" to be answered.
Thanks again all!
Attached Thumbnails Fresh (cold) air intake query...-imag0451.jpg  
Old 04-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Resident Zombie Hunter

Yeah that's standard. I think it's supposed to suck the air that is coming in through/around the headlights.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

i'd be curious to see the actual effect of moving the source of air for the engine. that same air is passing within inches of an exhaust manifold that is what 300*? that 20* difference in air intake temperature prob goes out the window at that point.

just thinking out loud. if we had crossflow heads and a tb sitting laterally i'd be a lot more interested in a real "cold air" kit. i just enlarged the opening on the stock air box for mine. no real results thus far other than it's louder than before...and now i can't kill the engine with the palm of my hand.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by s346k
i'd be curious to see the actual effect of moving the source of air for the engine. that same air is passing within inches of an exhaust manifold that is what 300*? that 20* difference in air intake temperature prob goes out the window at that point.

just thinking out loud. if we had crossflow heads and a tb sitting laterally i'd be a lot more interested in a real "cold air" kit. i just enlarged the opening on the stock air box for mine. no real results thus far other than it's louder than before...and now i can't kill the engine with the palm of my hand.
Not sure exactly how beneficial a cold air intake is on a jeep since I haven't done any testing. But, I like to build fast cars also and can say a cold air intake would be better even with how the exhaust manifold is set up. The cooler the air you start with, the cooler the air will be that gets into the motor.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I understand the concept as I have had my fair share of "fast" cars and the like. but these particular engines don't seem to respond very well to such mods.

I've engaged in enough speed contests w other xjs to know either my stock one is a freak making 300hp or these mods aren't worth much at all. speaking from experience.