Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Freeze plug questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 03:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Freeze plug questions

Hello Jeepers,

This weekend I'm going to be changing out the freeze plugs on my 4.0. I have a few questions I haven't seen answered in all the stuff I've read about the job. I'm probably only going to do the side plugs due to the difficulty of the back two.

1. Do I need to move or remove the power steering pump to remove the intake manifold?
2. Does the intake and exhaust manifolds share the same gasket?
3. It seems that using sealant on the plugs is a matter of opinion across several forums. Anyone have a good/bad experience?
4. Should I just drain the coolant from the bottom radiator hose? I'd like to flush it anyways. I'd prefer to drain it before actually punching a plug out and hear the block drain plug can be a biatch.
5. How do I avoid air in the system when refilling it with coolant?

Thanks much, sorry if these are noob questions :-)
Old 01-03-2013, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
Hello Jeepers,

This weekend I'm going to be changing out the freeze plugs on my 4.0. I have a few questions I haven't seen answered in all the stuff I've read about the job. I'm probably only going to do the side plugs due to the difficulty of the back two.

1. Do I need to move or remove the power steering pump to remove the intake manifold?
2. Does the intake and exhaust manifolds share the same gasket?
3. It seems that using sealant on the plugs is a matter of opinion across several forums. Anyone have a good/bad experience?
4. Should I just drain the coolant from the bottom radiator hose? I'd like to flush it anyways. I'd prefer to drain it before actually punching a plug out and hear the block drain plug can be a biatch.
5. How do I avoid air in the system when refilling it with coolant?

Thanks much, sorry if these are noob questions :-)
1. No. Just take off the bolts that hold on the intake and exhaust manifolds. Disconnect the exhaust manifold from the rest of the exhaust also.

2. Yes.

3. Use RTV

4. Your prefrance. It's gonna get everywhere anyway.

5. Fill the radiator, start until it reaches operating temp, wait till it cools, refill radiator.

A little advice.. An air chisel works amazing when taking out the freeze plugs.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:04 PM

Engine: 4.0L 6 Cyl

What 2doors said. Plus, use brass plugs if you can. I just did it on my 98 sport. One was badly leaking. I changed all five as long as I was there. I used RTV (permatex #1 or 2 - I forgot but it is a brownish sealant). It was my first time doing this and it was not that difficult. Just be careful when you put the new ones in, clean the area well, and use a socket the size of the inside of the plug to be able to start it straight. Don't push it in too much or it could fall back in the block. No big deal but you would have to pull it out again and probably use another one. If you need 5 plugs order 6 or 7 (at least that's my opinion).
Old 01-03-2013, 04:44 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks for the replies, off to the parts store, lol.

ust be careful when you put the new ones in, clean the area well, and use a socket the size of the inside of the plug to be able to start it straight.
What size socket did you use?
Old 01-03-2013, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the replies, off to the parts store, lol.

What size socket did you use?
Aghh, you'd have to wait until I get home in 2-3 hrs. I really don't know but i think the size of the plugs is 2", so a socket that is slightly smaller. Sorry but I didn't even look at the size of the socket I used. it just has to fit the inside of the plug.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:31 PM
CF Veteran

No worries, I'm sure my dad's got one that fits. I just got the new plugs in the mail today so I will figure it out. I do remember reading that you should shoot for the edge of the plug instead of inside it, to prevent accidentally warping it, but they seem strong enough. Thanks
Old 01-03-2013, 08:00 PM

No worries, I'm sure my dad's got one that fits. I just got the new plugs in the mail today so I will figure it out. I do remember reading that you should shoot for the edge of the plug instead of inside it, to prevent accidentally warping it, but they seem strong enough. Thanks
Just got home. I used a 32. You could afford to use slightly bigger. Start the plug straight over the hole with the socket then you can lightly tap the edges with a hammer going around the plug until it is flush with the block. Then use the socket again to push it just a little more (maybe 1/8?). You just don't want to tap on the inside of the plug on just one spot. Again best way to keep it straight is to push on the plug by applying pressure along the entire diameter at the same time. Anyway, i'm sure you'll figure it out. It is not extremely difficult. Keep us posted.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mlepesant
Just got home. I used a 32. You could afford to use slightly bigger. Start the plug straight over the hole with the socket then you can lightly tap the edges with a hammer going around the plug until it is flush with the block. Then use the socket again to push it just a little more (maybe 1/8?). You just don't want to tap on the inside of the plug on just one spot. Again best way to keep it straight is to push on the plug by applying pressure along the entire diameter at the same time. Anyway, i'm sure you'll figure it out. It is not extremely difficult. Keep us posted.
Thanks! Will do..I plan on taking pictures, i know they are not looking pretty right now lol. Plus I can smell the leak coming off the manifold. Picked up a Hayne's manual today, and wouldn't you know it doesn't say a single damned thing about the freeze plugs!

This evening I discovered my heat isn't working very well either (its a cool 20 degrees here in southcentral PA), I'm thinking the thermo might be stuck open.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:23 AM
CF Veteran

Well, after 5 hours of tedious work to get to them, here's my freeze plugs on my XJ. It's pretty obvious which one is the leaky culprit. Tomorrow I'll be putting the new ones in--anxious to see how corroded they are on the other side.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:36 AM

Looks just like mine last weekend. Same plug also. When I figure out how to resize my pictures I'll post.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:29 AM

Year: 94
Engine: 4.0 I6

Well, after 5 hours of tedious work to get to them, here's my freeze plugs on my XJ. It's pretty obvious which one is the leaky culprit. Tomorrow I'll be putting the new ones in--anxious to see how corroded they are on the other side.
5 hours? You must have had a few beers while you were working on it.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:43 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 2doors
5 hours? You must have had a few beers while you were working on it.
just a few! But this is also keeping in mind that I have barely a tin can of a toolbox with a ratchet set and that's about it, LOL. Also, I'm new to this--this has been the most massive automotive repair job I've undertaken so lots of learning along the way. I anticipate it going back together much quicker.

Just an update, we got all the new shiny brass plugs in....

And here was the other side of the leaky culprit. The hole there was rust that broke through when hammering it out.

Here are a few of the other plugs. The top right one there is actually in decent shape after I scrubbed it off--the one under it has brown nasty crud all over it. It is apparent that at some point, someone put some Stop-Leak junk in here to attempt to fix it, which might also explain why my heater core is a little clogged.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:51 PM
CF Veteran

Nice work! Be sure to properly torque those fasteners when you install the manifolds.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:48 PM
CF Veteran

Will do. Thanks! Oh, and for future reference to anyone else facing leaky freeze plugs, at least on the 1998 XJ, you WILL have to unbolt the power steering pump and the bracket that's on it that also holds the idler pulley. Not too bad of a job, just have to sit it out of the way.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Make sure manifolds are seated flush to head bottoms have a tendency to hang up on alingment pins causing major vacuum leak which upon start up engines revs up uncontrollabley. 5 hours darn good time with limited tools

Quick Reply: Freeze plug questions