Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Problems by Sympton
Print Wikipost

foamy power steering fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default foamy power steering fluid

sooo... let me start by saying i am not a mechanically savvy person. i am trying to learn, this is the first vehicle i have owned and please be gentle with me.
I have been having problems with loss of power. replaced the alternator a few months back, and my battery is fine. took it all apart and had them both tested. put everything back together and now my power steering fluid is all foamy. noticed a small leak on the reservoir and when i started it up after putting alternator and battery back it foamed out and all over the place.
so not only do i have no idea why i am loosing power, but now this. i dont have the money to take it to a shop, and i dont have anyone that can come and help me. any advice is appreciated. thanks!
Old 06-04-2015, 02:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995

Originally Posted by Haley Lawrence
sooo... let me start by saying i am not a mechanically savvy person. i am trying to learn, this is the first vehicle i have owned and please be gentle with me.
I have been having problems with loss of power. replaced the alternator a few months back, and my battery is fine. took it all apart and had them both tested. put everything back together and now my power steering fluid is all foamy. noticed a small leak on the reservoir and when i started it up after putting alternator and battery back it foamed out and all over the place.
so not only do i have no idea why i am loosing power, but now this. i dont have the money to take it to a shop, and i dont have anyone that can come and help me. any advice is appreciated. thanks!
Welcome to the forum. First thing, when you post be sure and list the year and details for your Cherokee. There are quite a few differences over the years so it matters a lot. Second, buy yourself a repair manual, Chilton and Haynes are ok, but a download factory manual is better(8 bucks). Third, the foam means you have air leaking into the system. Fix the leak you see, fill to the full mark and bleed the system. Then inspect everything no see if you still have a leak. Your power issue could be a bad ground. Use the manual to go through and clean/refresh the factory grounds. See how it acts after that...
Old 06-04-2015, 02:11 PM

!

Last edited by Haley Lawrence; 06-04-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cheddarnut
Welcome to the forum. First thing, when you post be sure and list the year and details for your Cherokee. There are quite a few differences over the years so it matters a lot. Second, buy yourself a repair manual, Chilton and Haynes are ok, but a download factory manual is better(8 bucks). Third, the foam means you have air leaking into the system. Fix the leak you see, fill to the full mark and bleed the system. Then inspect everything no see if you still have a leak. Your power issue could be a bad ground. Use the manual to go through and clean/refresh the factory grounds. See how it acts after that...
haha i felt like i was forgetting something. i have a 94 cherokee 4.0 automatic. and ill get myself a repair manual, thanks!
Old 06-04-2015, 02:30 PM

after that, run a bottle of lucas fuel treatment through it. a good tune up would not hurt either. cap, rotor, spark plugs, and plug wires if it has not been done in a good while. not expensive if you are able to do it yourself. it is not hard to do at all. just draw on a piece of paper which the wire from cap goes to which spark plug. really, it is a pretty freaking easy. if you get a book, there will be a photo of it too. youtube is also good on seeing how things are done. good luck.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995

Originally Posted by Haley Lawrence
haha i felt like i was forgetting something. i have a 94 cherokee 4.0 automatic. and ill get myself a repair manual, thanks!
The first two were general advice, don't be afraid to tackle the repair right away. If it's just the reservoir leaking it's not too bad to swap and cheap.

http://www.carid.com/dorman/power-st...FdgNgQodxxkA_w

These guys do a nice downloaded service manual:

http://www.pacificcoastmanuals.com/j...e_manuals.html