Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Floorpan replacement w/o welding?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Floorpan replacement w/o welding?

All- My new to me Cherokee needs all new floorpans instead of the patches I previously thought it would get by on. This would be the first time I'm tackling a project of this magnitude, but due to costs I need to make every attempt to do the work myself. I also intend to photo document all of it. I will start ripping out the interior this week, although the front seats bolts seems to be rusted in pretty good. Either way, the albatross around my neck is the new floorpans. I read the gamut- the only way to permanently affix them is welding. I have a pro-welder friend who wouldn't take the job. I have read of many people using automotive epoxy and steel rivets in their floor pans with success. Is this feasible, or am I really better off hiring a fabricator to do the work? Thanks all- Rick
Old 02-04-2018, 04:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by RangerRick82
All- My new to me Cherokee needs all new floorpans instead of the patches I previously thought it would get by on. This would be the first time I'm tackling a project of this magnitude, but due to costs I need to make every attempt to do the work myself. I also intend to photo document all of it. I will start ripping out the interior this week, although the front seats bolts seems to be rusted in pretty good. Either way, the albatross around my neck is the new floorpans. I read the gamut- the only way to permanently affix them is welding. I have a pro-welder friend who wouldn't take the job. I have read of many people using automotive epoxy and steel rivets in their floor pans with success. Is this feasible, or am I really better off hiring a fabricator to do the work? Thanks all- Rick
you need to weld it for better strength. That's the only right way imo
Old 02-04-2018, 07:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

A guy mentioned in another post that cutting floorpans out of a JY XJ basically folded the thing in half.
So I would definitely say that if you need all the pans done (and it's not just a small hole), for your own safety you should not hack it. The epoxy and rivet solution is ok for a small patch, but if you've got serious rot, you want it welded.
You can save yourself some cash and strip everything you can out of the way (carpets, seats, seatbelts) so all the shop has to do is cut and weld.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:05 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Do it right...or don't do it
Old 02-05-2018, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000