Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Floor vibrations at front

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Floor vibrations at front

Ok, this will be long winded, but I need input. I have vibrations that I can feel when I put my hand on the floor by my right calf/knee (near the 4-wheel shifter) while driving. I can't seem to locate the problem, though I seem to keep throwing money at possible problems. The vibes seem to be coming from the front, as I can feel the floor moving toward the gas pedal and they stay constant. If I reach back and feel the center hump in the rear, little to no vibrations there.

Things I've done to try and correct.

All new U-joints on rear driveshaft
New rear axle bearings
New centering ball on driveshaft knuckle/yoke (not sure what that's called)
Completely rebuilt transfer case with new bearings
New front wheel hub assemblies
New axle U-joints on the front
New ball joints on front

I've been driving around without the front driveshaft on, so I know that it isn't those U-joints, as they're not on the vehicle at the moment.

I'm left thinking it could be time for a Dana 30 bearing replacement overhaul, but would like to pick some brains before spending additional money on fixing something that might not be the issue.

I was ready to take that leap, but got thrown a curve ball yesterday. Since I can feel the intermittent tapping/thumping/popping (whatever) is causing my hand to feel it through the front hump/floor while driving at slow idle, I thought that was my need. Yet, I was stopped at a stoplight in drive, not moving, and I still felt the intermittent tapping/thumping/popping through the floor. Since I was not moving, I'm completely baffled. Maybe I just put new bearings in the front differential, but since I felt it yesterday while sitting at a light, I'm more than confused now. Any insight or places to check would be more than appreciated.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Check your flywheel/flexplate bolts. If you feel it while stopped then its something that's still rotating with the engine. While you are stopped, rev the engine to see if the noise increases with engine speed.

Last edited by lamart72; 01-04-2016 at 07:34 PM. Reason: more info