Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

wj transfer case help

Old 12-15-2015, 03:20 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 12
Model: Cherokee
Default wj transfer case help

So I have a 2003 wj 4x4 4.7v8. I THINK it has a NV247 tcase the shift positions are 4 all time, N and 4LO. Is this the NV247?


I want to swap my NV247 for a NV242. Is this recommended? Is it better than the NV247? Is it a straight swap? I really want the other 4x4 shift options and really want the 2WD position as well.


Thank you very much!
85XJ85 is offline  
Old 12-15-2015, 04:17 PM
  #2  
CF Veteran
 
SatiricalHen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 5,395
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by 85XJ85 View Post
So I have a 2003 wj 4x4 4.7v8. I THINK it has a NV247 tcase the shift positions are 4 all time, N and 4LO. Is this the NV247? I want to swap my NV247 for a NV242. Is this recommended? Is it better than the NV247? Is it a straight swap? I really want the other 4x4 shift options and really want the 2WD position as well. Thank you very much!
my friend did it, I think his was a 247 maybe it was a 249... But I know he put a 242 in, he needed to swap all she shifting components and the tcase, took him like 4 hours because he messed up and had to redo something. He loves his new tcase and he gained some mpgs. Good luck!
SatiricalHen is offline  
Old 12-16-2015, 02:08 AM
  #3  
CF Veteran
 
dave1123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Manlius, east of Syracuse, NY
Posts: 11,288
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default

Welcome to CF!

Yes, you have the NV247.

There are 2 different 242 cases for the WJ. The NV242LD uses a rubber boot on the output shaft and the NV242HD uses an aluminum output housing. I'm assuming the HD is used in the V8s. I believe my 4.0 has the HD model because it has a slip joint output shaft.

Also I'VE BEEN TOLD if you get one from a WJ, there is no problem with matching the input splines. The WJ cases shift by cable and have no speed sensor in them. The speed sensor is inside the transmission. You can use your existing shift quadrant and just change the indicator bezel (or not). There is a light in the dash cluster that tells you when you're in "part time", but IDK how you wire that. I think it just involves changing a plug.

The nicest thing about the 242 is it's "shift on the fly" at any speed from 2wd to 4wd. The only time you need to stop is to go to low range.

Check out wjjeeps.com for info.
dave1123 is offline  
Old 12-17-2015, 10:56 AM
  #4  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 12
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by dave1123 View Post
Welcome to CF!

Yes, you have the NV247.

There are 2 different 242 cases for the WJ. The NV242LD uses a rubber boot on the output shaft and the NV242HD uses an aluminum output housing. I'm assuming the HD is used in the V8s. I believe my 4.0 has the HD model because it has a slip joint output shaft.

Also I'VE BEEN TOLD if you get one from a WJ, there is no problem with matching the input splines. The WJ cases shift by cable and have no speed sensor in them. The speed sensor is inside the transmission. You can use your existing shift quadrant and just change the indicator bezel (or not). There is a light in the dash cluster that tells you when you're in "part time", but IDK how you wire that. I think it just involves changing a plug.

The nicest thing about the 242 is it's "shift on the fly" at any speed from 2wd to 4wd. The only time you need to stop is to go to low range.

Check out wjjeeps.com for info.
So all I need to buy would just be the tcase? Are my driveshafts still gonna work?
85XJ85 is offline  
Old 12-17-2015, 11:02 AM
  #5  
CF Veteran
 
SatiricalHen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 5,395
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by 85XJ85 View Post
So all I need to buy would just be the tcase? Are my driveshafts still gonna work?
if I were you I would buy them just in case, my junkyard has a return period. I know my friend didn't get a driveshaft at first and needed one so he had to go back.
SatiricalHen is offline  
Old 12-17-2015, 06:40 PM
  #6  
CF Veteran
 
dave1123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Manlius, east of Syracuse, NY
Posts: 11,288
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default

Again, I'VE BEEN TOLD, the only physical difference between the 247 and the 242 is about 1/4" in length, HOWEVER, the V8s use the D44 rear axle and the 6 uses the D35. On the older ones, there was a difference in the differential universal yoke size between the 2. If your V8 driveshaft fits the 242 output shaft, you're good to go.
dave1123 is offline  
Old 12-20-2015, 05:41 PM
  #7  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 12
Model: Cherokee
Default

Any one know where to get good used ones from?
85XJ85 is offline  
Old 12-20-2015, 10:54 PM
  #8  
CF Veteran
 
dave1123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Manlius, east of Syracuse, NY
Posts: 11,288
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default

If you google it, all kinds of retailers will pop up. At my Pick&Pull, they are $75 for any t/case. You just have to know which one you want, as in year, type, and you have to know if it fits.

Okay, I just did some research and you need a 242HD from a WJ V8. the 242j from the 4.0 is different. The problem being the 242HD is sort of rare. Also the difference in length is 2" so you'll need the driveshafts as well.

Last edited by dave1123; 12-20-2015 at 11:24 PM.
dave1123 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
00t444e
Modified XJ Cherokee Tech
25
12-19-2015 09:22 PM
ZJ Zak
Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here!
9
12-16-2015 01:42 PM
98Redbird
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here
12
12-14-2015 08:58 PM
JCraven94
Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes
2
12-14-2015 07:16 AM
Gunmetal Pearl XJ
Cherokee Chat
3
12-09-2015 06:07 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wj transfer case help


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description: