Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Flexplate movement = crankshaft issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Flexplate movement = crankshaft issues?

The '95 has been knocking upon startup and shutdown. The flexplate is good, no cracks. However, the flexplate can be rotated back and forth about 3/8-1/2". When you turn it back and forth quickly, it nearly dupicates the knocking noise. Crankshaft issue? If so, the bearings??

-Thank you
Old 05-28-2010, 12:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I bet the flexplate is broken around the center where it bolts to the crank. Hard to see if the transmission is still in the vehicle.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by Copperback243
The '95 has been knocking upon startup and shutdown. The flexplate is good, no cracks. However, the flexplate can be rotated back and forth about 3/8-1/2". When you turn it back and forth quickly, it nearly dupicates the knocking noise. Crankshaft issue? If so, the bearings??

-Thank you
How did you check this? Since the flexplate most often cracks around the centre hub, it's not the easiest thing in the world to see:

- Grab a small bright flashlight, a large flat screwdriver, and whatever wrenches you need to pull the inspection plate. Also get a 3/4" socket on a 1/2" ratchet (easiest) or breaker bar.

- Remove the inspection plate.

- Shine the torch up into the space between the engine and the flexplate.

- Insert the screwdriver between the engine block and flexplate. Pull the handle away from the engine (towards the rear of the vehicle.) Pull slowly but firmly (if there are any cracks, you want to open them up to be seen - not make them worse. If there aren't any cracks, you don't want to make them worse...)

- Turn the crankshaft and repeat at 4-6 intervals, spaced roughly evenly. (every sixty to ninety degrees.)

If all is good, button it back up and report. If you see a crack, Pioneer/Barns is usually the brand I use, and they've treated me well for the last 25-30 years on various rotating replacement parts (flywheels, flexplates, and harmonic dampers.)
Old 05-28-2010, 07:16 PM

It was through the inspection window I discovered this movement. I was looking for cracks. No cracks found- just this excessive movement.

--I was using the same procedure described. I've been working on Jeeps for awhile.. this just one just stumps me.

---if it is "broken around the center where it bolts to the crank", would it be possible that I cannot get any visual confirmation at all without removing the tranny?

I'm going to be pulling the engine/tranny/t-case soon anyway, and putting it in a ZJ... I was hoping to get an idea of extra cost before hand and maybe putting some parts on order.

--Thanks alot, and I really appreciate it.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

If the flexplate turns out to be cracked, then don't just stop there and replace the flex plate. You will need to look at the torque convertor, around the bolt mounting surfaces for blueing and distortion. Torque convertors get very hot for a very long time and distort. Most of the original equipment torque convertors are very thin metal that distorts quickly. Most flex plate cracks and crankshaft end play problems come from the torque convertor in the first place. that's why it is called a "flex" plate, but they can only flex so far for so long.

Last edited by Willys55; 05-28-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:28 PM

...So do you think it would be a fair, safe bet to go ahead and order a new flexplate along with torque converter?

--For peace of mind- can someone tell me, for sure, that this has absolutely nothing to do with the crankshaft? It'd sure make me feel alot better.

...something tells me I wont be taking my Jeep on the 2,400mi Roadtrip as planned in a couple weeks....

Thanks again!
Old 05-28-2010, 10:35 PM
CF Veteran

Can't really answer the question without hearing and seeing it for ourselves. I would almost put money on it being broken around the hub.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:30 PM
CF Veteran

It was through the inspection window I discovered this movement. I was looking for cracks. No cracks found- just this excessive movement.

--I was using the same procedure described. I've been working on Jeeps for awhile.. this just one just stumps me.
I'm not one to cast aspersions on your skill and experience - I just didn't know what they were (and a thorough description can often help someone else later anyhow...)

---if it is "broken around the center where it bolts to the crank", would it be possible that I cannot get any visual confirmation at all without removing the tranny?
Many things are possible. But, that's why you stick a screwdriver in between the engine and the flexplate - to prise the flexplate back and open up any cracks you might see (except radial cracks - you'd have to get really lucky to hit those just right.)

I'm going to be pulling the engine/tranny/t-case soon anyway, and putting it in a ZJ... I was hoping to get an idea of extra cost before hand and maybe putting some parts on order.

--Thanks alot, and I really appreciate it.
Price everything out, just so you know. I'd rather overbudget and save a few bucks than underbudget and have to come up with fifty bucks I hadn't planned for...
Old 05-30-2010, 11:03 AM

The ZJ that I very recently blew the t-case in while offroading, is what this is going into. I beleive it'd be alot easier to replace the t-case.. but then I'd still have a stroked straight six in a rolled over XJ taking up garage space!

As far as prying and looking-- I did just as you described. Oddly enough (from what visual you can get from inspection window), this flexplate looks pretty flawless.

I just don't know. I really hope all this excessive movement is identified as an easy fix once the trannys off.

Urggg.. I love jeeps.. but goodness. It'd be a much better world if the automatic transmission was never invented, and all vehicles had three pedals in the floor board. Replace clutch and throw-out bearings.. along with slave cylinder every once in a great while. Simple times are over lol
Old 06-01-2010, 12:04 PM

Bustedback got it. Removed the entire mess today. Boy that flexplate is ate up! .....a few strands of metal was all that kept it turning when in operation.

I appreciate all the input, opinions, help, and support everyone.

Where do I get a new flexplate?? ...I used to have spares --but no longer.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2010, 02:51 PM
CF Veteran

Bustedback got it. Removed the entire mess today. Boy that flexplate is ate up! .....a few strands of metal was all that kept it turning when in operation.

Thanks
I RULE!
Old 06-02-2010, 04:35 AM
CF Veteran

Thanks
Any parts house should be able to order one for you. I've been using Pioneer/Barnes for years on various vehicles - flywheels, flexplates, harmonic dampers. All good quality.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:45 AM

..Well where do you get Pioneer/Barnes?? I know my local Oreilly's and Autozone don't have flexplates for cherokees --they don't even have a listing for them. They refur you to your dealer. Hogwash.

Ordered one from Partstrain ...looks a little different on their pricture.. find out when it gets here.

Against my better judgement I'm going to use the same tourque converter.

-Thanks again,