Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Flex Plate Question

Old 08-02-2012, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Flex Plate Question

Good Morning CF!

I have a couple quick diagnostic questions about my flex plate that some of you may be able to answer...

I have watched videos and searched on here for some time now trying to figure out what this might be but all of the signs seem to be pointing away from the flex plate.

I have a slight knocking noise immediately after start up right under the shifter area, but it only lasts for a split second upon start up and goes away at idle. All of the videos i have seen of Cherokees with flex plate issues can add some revs at idle and the knock gets louder, which mine doesnt seem to do...

When i put it in gear and the RPMs drop some there is a faint knock every so often, but when i let off the brake and take off from a stop sign it knock for a quick second then goes away. It also seems to happen about every time i go around a corner but goes quiet when in a straight line. Weird right?

I do have a cracked header and some of my exhaust hangers are broken so the exhaust is hanging low enough to contact the transmission cross member. Would there be enough engine movement/vibration for me to mistake this exhaust banging for flex plate noise? has anyone had this experience before?
Old 08-02-2012, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee

well i would bet the metal on metal that you know for sure you already have would be your issue, since when the noise happens is when the vehicle shakes enough to make the noise. The flex plate can be checked easily by removing the inspection cover and checking the bolts. Just need the battery unplugged to be safe.

To check if it is the exhaust easily, support the pipes with a 2x4 or something to get it off the cross member and remove the broken clamps to prevent them from clanging around. Then start the engine and see if the problem persists. That is still the more than likely issue.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:41 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

What brand of oil filter are you using now?

Check to see how close your exhaust pipe is to the trans/transfer case crossmember.