Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fixed - car wanders in R/H turns

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 11:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Fixed - car wanders in R/H turns

92 DD 165k Driving at speed 55-65 mph she'll follow the steering inputs just fine. R/H turns are very different with a wandering action not induced by the driver. This action is unnerving because the nose will wonder to the left without turning the wheel. Then comeback to the line I'm trying to hold. The "comeback" can be abrupt depending on the pressure of the turn. And if not careful will start to oscillate until I exit the turn. I can't imagine pulling our 8' pop-up in the mountains.

Mods are really not much. Factory height, bigger F/R sway bars, rear disc conversion. 4.0 stock AT Tow pack.
Maintenance to date include fresh shocks, new springs (Crown) freshened rear-end/axle bearings, fresh trackbar, steering dampener, steering box, PS pump and steering shaft rubber isolation dampener. Replaced RH upper control arm bushings, LH is solid.

After inspecting at the RH suspension on a rack the lower control arm bolt was pushed back 1/2", this was corrected two years ago. I noticed the front always sat right side low by 1", new springs did not correct the difference. This also corrected two years ago.

------------------------------------------------------
Replaced the steering gearbox and pump. Problem solved. The steering wheel also wants to return to center now.

Let a friend drive her and he noted that the steering had less resistance turning right than left. Also the pump started to howl. Did you know that early Cherokees used a three master key spline? Whatever constitutes late models (90-96?) used a 4 key spline.... Not to mention my parts house (AutoZone) could not find a early pitman arm. This error of course went undiscovered until the last part to install was the pitman arm. AZ was cool about it and sprung for a new steering damper and fluid. Not much but it sure shows and act of service to the customer.

Anyhow the years mods are complete: rebuilt the rear end, rear disc brakes, new springs, new shocks, V8 1" front sway bar and 3/4" rear sway bar, new headers, engine mount, new upper control arm bushings.

And all I started out to do, was check the oil...... good for another 160,000

Last edited by MtnGoat; 10-26-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Nice!

Thanks for the update. That's a weird one. Your post will probably help someone out in the future.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

What disc brakes did you use for the rear??
Old 10-26-2015, 07:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/kj...stions-213231/
Check this link