Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

finally got another xj

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default finally got another xj

Been a while since I have had an xj and picked up a 98 today. I am happy.

Silly me tho, forgot about the wonderful quirks in the jeep land, went to dmv directly after buying it to get tags and upon returning to the xj that I must admit I was admiring while walking up to it, I reach in pocket for the key fob, click it, hear whoosh instead of click coming from the doors. Click it again, whoosh...a third time just hoping, yea. No. Doors won't unlock with the remote.

That's okay I figured, my hands were full with paperwork, tags, etc so I go to the hatch, figure I will put on the plate..Yeah, won't unlock. Insert key, turn, won't open, turn key other way, won't open, turn it again just for the hell of it, won't open. Finally, pushing down on the hatch it opened, however I crushed the plastic frame under the wiper arm pushing down and it shattered. With the hatch open finally, I duck my head under it, set the tags and stuff down in the cargo area and wack, the hatch slams on my head. The pressure cylinders will hold it for a few seconds then it free falls. Yay.

Go back to the drivers door, insert key and after about 5-7 attempts at unlocking it it finally unlocks.

On the way home now and I put the windows down, I watch the passenger window go 3/4 way down then free fall. Yay. Won't roll back up. That's my fault I suppose because when I checked to be sure the windows worked all I did was roll them down and up real quick, thinking they worked...Silly me.

Great first half hour of ownership..I am sure it will get better tomorrow. Oh how one forgets some of the excitement jeeps bring.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: I6

Not sure how sarcastic your being but that post just made me laugh. We can all relate. Welcome back and organize your wrenches.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol, well, sarcastic as it sounds, it's what happened. I still am happy to have another one. Just something about the xj that has always attracted me...I know it's a matter of learning the quirks of my newest family member and once I fix them I can look forward to whatever comes next.

Just something about that square box I can't ignore...I know I am not alone so it kinda helps.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Well you did better than I did on windows when I went to look at mine it was out of state. So I took a car hauler with a winch with me you never know what can happed when you buy a "Used Car".

The owner said he had been driving it daily???? It had a 3" lift it you wanted to call it that, I didn't look being a newbie myself any further. Only 1 window rolled down he said it just needed the switches, the windshield was cracked all the way across, and TC would not shift to Low Range.

It road badly (2 bent shocks) and I drove it only a mile or so. Then we worked on the price, interior was VG, body no damage or rust, paint passible. Settled for $500 less than he was asking loaded it up and came home.

Had windshield replaced and then took it in for inspection and sat down in waiting room for about 2 min. They came back in laughing and said I needed a "little" work to pass. This was a full service garage I have used for 25 yrs and know all of them, I needed to leave with them, I just said fix it.

3 days later it was repaired $1886 a complete and I mean "COMPLETE" everything brake job, exhaust cat back, ball joints, tie rods, alignment, and 5 new tires. Oh yes State Inspection $12.

Then to the glass shop for the windows. They called me that afternoon and said the RF was really a RR window and held up with a 2x4" but switch was good, so it was used in the RR where it belonged at least the motor was good. The other 2 I had to buy the whole assemblies for them as I remember about $150 each parts.

Remote entry didn't even know I had it till I requested a build sheet and saw it there. So bought a fob and had it programmed.

All in all sounds like your pretty lucky except for the fob deal I could have went on with other things that were screwed up by people no knowing what they were doing before I got it.