Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Few questions little long sorry.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 6 cylinder
Default Few questions little long sorry.

I been on here and I am glad I found the forum. You guys help with my coolant problem. Now I have a few questions. I have a 99 sport 171xxx. I have only had it a few months.

Stats off of build sheet:
DGSS 4-Speed Automatic AW4 Transmission
DHAP Lock-Up Torque Converter
DHP Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System
DHSP Floor Mount Automatic Shift Lever
DJHS Dana M30/181MM Front Axle
DMDP 3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
DRAS Corporate 8.25 Rear Axle
EAAC All Engines
ERH 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine

1. I was under neath the xj and was looking around and I notice a big dent in the exhaust. I am not sure how it got there or if it was already there when i got it or what not so i was wondering if this is a bad thing or is it OK? Pic attach

2. I am thinking i should change filter and fluid in just the trans? I have looked on here and seems everyone is on both sides of the fence so I dont know if i should. It slips a little from 1-2. So maybe a few thoughts on this?

3. I have some fluid leaking from the front diff? I was just wonder if anyone could help me with this one on how to fix it or leave it or what? pic attached

4. Should I change the fluid in the diffs if so with what and how? I have never done this. This is my first 4x4.

5. It doesnt want to stay in 4l. Any ideas on this? Maybe a short schooling in 4x4.

Any other advice on what to do is welcome. I have done oil plug plug wires cap and rotor rad and wp and tstat.
Thanks for all your help in advance.
Attached Images   
Old 04-29-2011, 12:54 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I have 188k on my xj and just put two new gallons of fluid in the tranny and a bottle of lucas tranny additive. It did not hurt it at all and it shifts perfect now. i would do it. the old tranny fluid was the color of really used motor oil, looked old or maybe original. All i did was pull the drain plug and drained the fluid then put a gallon of valvoline dex/merc high mileage, drove it 150 miles then did the same thing except added the lucas. Good luck on the rest of your questions!
Old 04-29-2011, 12:58 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

That dent in your exhaust is stock. The leak you have a picture of is the pinion seal. Wont stay in 4 low? Sounds like the linkage needs adjusting maybe.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

1.) X 2 on your exhaust dent being done by the OEM. My 91 XJ is the same way.

2.)

3.) Bad pinion seal. Fix it. Its an easy fix.

4.) If the Jeep is new to you, change the gear oil out. Put in new 80W-90 gear oil. Your front diff probably doesn't have much fluid left anyway with the pinion seal leaking like that.

5.) X 2 on linkage adjust.....or.....if your Jeep is like mine it appears to go into 4LO then slips out. Hold shifter in 4LO position and with tranny in D drive forward a little and you will feel it if it goes into gear securely. That has worked for my Jeep for 6 years now.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:26 PM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

1. I was under neath the xj and was looking around and I notice a big dent in the exhaust. I am not sure how it got there or if it was already there when i got it or what not so i was wondering if this is a bad thing or is it OK?
Dent is stock from factory

2. I am thinking i should change filter and fluid in just the trans? I have looked on here and seems everyone is on both sides of the fence so I dont know if i should. It slips a little from 1-2. So maybe a few thoughts on this? Check the levels first, if level is ok get a full flush done - and make sure they drop the pan and change the filter

3. I have some fluid leaking from the front diff? I was just wonder if anyone could help me with this one on how to fix it or leave it or what? Leaking Pinion Seal - https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/xj...acement-43429/

4. Should I change the fluid in the diffs if so with what and how? I have never done this. This is my first 4x4. Yes, good idea to change ALL the fluids. This should help: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/hd...-install-2736/

5. It doesnt want to stay in 4l. Any ideas on this? Maybe a short schooling in 4x4.
You linkage likely needs adjusting - Linky: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tr...stment-701221/