Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fan Shroud

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: V6
Default Fan Shroud

I just got my jeep about a week ago and whoever owned it before broke off the fan module and fan shroud so it was overheating when it was idle. Well we put the fan module on and it stopped somewhat. If you turn off the air conditioning then it overheats again does the fan shroud prevent that? I assume it does, i need to get one just can't find one in a junk yard anywhere so i'll probably just buy a new one.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

You said running the ac stops it from overheating?
That usually puts a little more strain on the motor, and I'd imagine helps the engine overheat faster. Really, the shroud shouldn't make a tremendous change in the cooling issue. Exactly hoiw much are we talking? Is it running a little warm, or straight out overheating?
Is it overheating with city only, stop and go traffic, or even when driving on the freeway?

Personally, I'd do a full cooling system check. They have those little float ball testers for your radiator fluid for about 3$ at autozone. Not a bad thing to have in your garage. Then I'd think about changing my thermostat also, just to eliminate it as a problem. Plus, it's usually a cheap fix.

Overall, I'd take this problem seriously, overheating, especially repeatedly, can make an engine that might normally last 300,000 miles only last 180,000. I'd hate to see you spending big cash on a rebuilt when you can spend 20$ today.

I'll also assume that you know that if your jeep (or any type of car) starts overheating, you should flip the defroster on high heat, and open your windows. It helps remove the heat from the engine till you can stop and get your issue fixed.

Good-luck.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998

Also, when you head to the boneyard, make a list of other stuff you might want to lift off your donor Jeep. Really, when i go, i take every nut and bolt i can, and usually a few relays also. Drop em in the tool box and they usually won't charge you. When you get home, drop em in a ziplock, or an old mayo jar, and label them "cherokee."
Old 06-17-2010, 01:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Please eplain more what fan module is/was missing? when the AC is on the E-fan runs. This may be why it runs cooler with the ac on. Sound like you need a NEW mechanical fan clutch and T-stat and radiator cap.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:09 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

yeah the fan shroud is just a piece of plastic to not hurt urself while the engine is running and when the fan is spinning. like said b4 check coolant and other stuff. my 91 XJ doesn't have a fan shroud and it never overheats. its a different problem with urs
Old 06-17-2010, 04:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l inline 6
Thumbs up

Doesn’t the fan shroud help funnel the air through the radiator better? If you have the shroud on it will draw air only from the front of the fan/radiator. If the shroud isn't on then it will draw air from the sides and decrease the efficiency of the system.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:44 AM

It only starts over heating after about 30 minutes of driving it (to college). Usually when i start slowing down, if i'm going 55 or 60 it stays cool but when i start to slow down at red lights, stop signs, slowed traffice, then thats when it starts getting close. It hasn't over heated it gets on the halfway mark though, it starts getting there. I usually get to school or home before it starts over heating. We looked it over last night when i got home and everything seems fine, and a mechanic looked it over last week and said everything looked great. We just replaced the thermostat last week also.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:01 AM
CF Veteran

I took out the restriction in my airbox. I don't know if your model year had that but I noticed about a 15-20 degree drop in my temp just from doing that.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by wildspear
I took out the restriction in my airbox. I don't know if your model year had that but I noticed about a 15-20 degree drop in my temp just from doing that.
Where is the airbox located? I'm going to see if mine has it and i can't find anything on google about it.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:10 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Newjeepowner88
Where is the airbox located? I'm going to see if mine has it and i can't find anything on google about it.
Pictures say it much better;

Name:  RelocatedIATIntakeairtempertures-1.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  108.5 KB
Old 06-18-2010, 11:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

you do need the fan shroud because it does indeed direct the air through the radiator properly. sometime you can get away without one if your cooling system is in great shape but for most people, you need the shroud. especially since on cherokees, the radiators are very small compared to the motors.

since it does it when the ac is on, i would look at your primary fan and make sure its operating properly. is yours direct drive or on a clutch? if its on a clutch, i would say you need a new one. since it doesn't overheat on the highway, i would say its the fan. usually if they stay cool on the highway and over heat on the road, its a fan or something like that. if it overheats on the highway but stays cool on the road, then its the radiator is clogged
Old 06-18-2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by wildspear
Doesn’t the fan shroud help funnel the air through the radiator better? If you have the shroud on it will draw air only from the front of the fan/radiator. If the shroud isn't on then it will draw air from the sides and decrease the efficiency of the system.
Idk lol it prolly does but I have driven my 91 XJ for a year now with no problems. So idk.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by superj
you do need the fan shroud because it does indeed direct the air through the radiator properly. sometime you can get away without one if your cooling system is in great shape but for most people, you need the shroud. especially since on cherokees, the radiators are very small compared to the motors.

since it does it when the ac is on, i would look at your primary fan and make sure its operating properly. is yours direct drive or on a clutch? if its on a clutch, i would say you need a new one. since it doesn't overheat on the highway, i would say its the fan. usually if they stay cool on the highway and over heat on the road, its a fan or something like that. if it overheats on the highway but stays cool on the road, then its the radiator is clogged
Oh okay. I just used my personal exp. I can see why vehicles need one though. All I did was a coolant flush, oh and it's got a newer radiator lol so that's why mine can still run good.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L
Default Fan Shroud

Yes you need the fan shroud. I had the same problem. Mine was cracked so I ripped it out and then I started having overheating problems.
The shroud only cost about $25. It creates a wind tunnel. Install the shroud, run the engine, put a hand over the valve cover, pull on the throttle and feel the air rush across the engine.