Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Factory speakers

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Factory speakers

I just bought a 1999 Cherokee Sport that's cherry. It's my third Jeep. (I go way back, my first was a 1950 ******)

I have the factory AM/FM Cassette that I'm waiting for CD player from the salvage yard...

Anyway, I didn't think it had front speakes. Turns out they were corroded on the contacts, and recoverable. The yard owner told me that's common, and gave me another set of speakers to see if I can get a good set out of the two of them.

So, what's the story... Are the front speakers a consumable that get's consumed? The yard owner recommended I go to Crutchfield and buy these foam cups that they sell as 'speaker wells' to protect the speaker, and to put in long wires with drip loops to the speakers. They are less than $10. Shipping will probably cost more unless I can find them local. Anyone know of any of the chain stores that carry them?

How is everyone else dealing with this issue?

If I don't get at least a good pair of speakers for my doors, I may just order new. Right now Crutchfield has a set of Sony 5-1/4" speakers on sale for $50 that look pretty good.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a '97 and my front speakers were stock. I only replaced them b/c I had an extra pair of 6 1/2's; I had no prior issues with them. I guess it just depends on what you do with yours. I guess if you get a lot of water down in the door it could happen but there are drains IIRC.

If you get new ones, get 6 1/2's they will fit.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

I've got one front speaker that is out and it seems like every time I open the driver's front door to work on the rig it is wet there.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:23 AM

Year: 1992

An 11 y/o speaker is probably going to have issues and just plain not sound good.due to the cone drying out and becoming brittle. They are not expensive, I would replace it.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by mike_skis
I just bought a 1999 Cherokee Sport that's cherry. It's my third Jeep. (I go way back, my first was a 1950 ******)

I have the factory AM/FM Cassette that I'm waiting for CD player from the salvage yard...

Anyway, I didn't think it had front speakes. Turns out they were corroded on the contacts, and recoverable. The yard owner told me that's common, and gave me another set of speakers to see if I can get a good set out of the two of them.

So, what's the story... Are the front speakers a consumable that get's consumed? The yard owner recommended I go to Crutchfield and buy these foam cups that they sell as 'speaker wells' to protect the speaker, and to put in long wires with drip loops to the speakers. They are less than $10. Shipping will probably cost more unless I can find them local. Anyone know of any of the chain stores that carry them?

If I don't get at least a good pair of speakers for my doors, I may just order new. Right now Crutchfield has a set of Sony 5-1/4" speakers on sale for $50 that look pretty good.
Those "foam cups", arent for protection. Its for baffling.

And you get what you pay for. Especially with speakers, although if your going cheap, go pioneer, they make some of the best low price beginner equipment.

If you dont have a price limit, look into RE, Digital Designs, Ascendant Audio, RD, etc
Old 11-26-2010, 06:45 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

Originally Posted by s14unimog
I've got a '97 and my front speakers were stock. I only replaced them b/c I had an extra pair of 6 1/2's; I had no prior issues with them. I guess it just depends on what you do with yours. I guess if you get a lot of water down in the door it could happen but there are drains IIRC.

If you get new ones, get 6 1/2's they will fit.
hey i have a 96 xj sport.. stocks speakers are 5.25. do you think i can fit 6.5 with any problems. no trimming or anything..
Old 11-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0L

^^ The holes won't match up but they should fit
Old 11-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by MickDime
^^ The holes won't match up but they should fit
Actually I don't think they would, I had to take both by door covers off to fix both my front speakers (soldered them on so the contacts wouldn't disconnect) and (if I remember correctly) the holes they fit in were perfectly fit and they were metal all around, so I think bigger speakers wouldn't fit (BUT I have a 99 so it might be different but I have 5.25 in mine as well. I wanted to upgrade but I thought it wasn't worth it to fabricate for an extra inch lol. BUT the back ones (on the roof) can totally fit bigger speakers, just cut out the extra foam and make your own new screw holes.

anyway, sorry if 'm wrong but I think I remember that the front won't fit extra size. unless you cut the plastic and are okay with speakers sticking out.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by mike_skis

I've had sony and some people will tell you different but sony components always worked for me BUT their speakers I never bought (well once but they were half off and I was broke) I wouldn't buy sony speakers, but pioneer or something better. I don't know why but sony speakers suck.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 99

personally I replaced mine with 5.25" because I didn't think they would fit either

I think they would probably barley fit but they would be loose and rattle so i opted out and just stuck with the stock size