Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Exhaust Debate!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Exhaust Debate!

Quick question for all you guys. I read on this site all the time about how you should not remove the cat because you need the back pressure... But then i also read all the time that the bend in the exhaust right after the manifold to clear the front drive shaft is killing everyone's performance. So if you did remove the cat would the bend not supply enough back pressure??? Or if you remove the bend and leave the cat would you have enough back pressure??? Just confused on how the two are different
Old 03-24-2012, 01:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I don't think the bend restricts it much. As far as back pressure from the cat, with companies striving/competing to achieve better performance and mileage #'s, I would think they would just make it a little bigger if there was a problem. Course I don't "winde out" my 4.0 hitting the power band!
Old 03-24-2012, 07:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by cherokee90
Quick question for all you guys. I read on this site all the time about how you should not remove the cat because you need the back pressure... But then i also read all the time that the bend in the exhaust right after the manifold to clear the front drive shaft is killing everyone's performance. So if you did remove the cat would the bend not supply enough back pressure??? Or if you remove the bend and leave the cat would you have enough back pressure??? Just confused on how the two are different
I think that an engine "needing back pressure" is a myth. Why would there be a billion dollar industry dedicated to reducing back pressure (free flowing headers/cats/mufflers)? If I'm wrong please show me your reliable source.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:29 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
I don't think the bend restricts it much. As far as back pressure from the cat, with companies striving/competing to achieve better performance and mileage #'s, I would think they would just make it a little bigger if there was a problem. Course I don't "winde out" my 4.0 hitting the power band!
Seat of the pants difference with a modded headpipe. More than converter delete IMHO. That crush in the headpipe looks to reduce the volume by about 30 to 40%.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

the reason there is high flow exhausts, is to match the added intake if modded.

so in short, if you increase the intake, you have to increase the exhaust.

only opening one and not the other won't do much in the end.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by caged
the reason there is high flow exhausts, is to match the added intake if modded.

so in short, if you increase the intake, you have to increase the exhaust.

only opening one and not the other won't do much in the end.
I'll have to disagree in this case based on my experience. On both my MJ and XJ, I had the downpipe replaced with ones that were bent to clear the driveshaft by a muffler shop. Noticeable difference.

Later on, added 60mm throttle bodies on both from www.strokedjeep.com. Another noticeable difference.

While only a high flow muffler may add little in performance or almost unnoticeable gains, removal of the "crush" in the downpipe is a worthwhile mod. Take a look at how restrictive it is sometime.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

Originally Posted by cruiser54
I'll have to disagree in this case based on my experience. On both my MJ and XJ, I had the downpipe replaced with ones that were bent to clear the driveshaft by a muffler shop. Noticeable difference.

Later on, added 60mm throttle bodies on both from www.strokedjeep.com. Another noticeable difference.

While only a high flow muffler may add little in performance or almost unnoticeable gains, removal of the "crush" in the downpipe is a worthwhile mod. Take a look at how restrictive it is sometime.
ok
Old 03-24-2012, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The engine does need some back pressure, however prolly not as much as factory.. Hate to say it, but those engineers that make all that money to design stuff actually make things purposeful in vehicles (although not always in the most idea ways).
Old 03-24-2012, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by 'Manche
The engine does need some back pressure, however prolly not as much as factory.. Hate to say it, but those engineers that make all that money to design stuff actually make things purposeful in vehicles (although not always in the most idea ways).
Yes they do. Like adding a crush in the downpipe as a band-aid to promote the cat heating up faster, while making it appear that it was necessary for driveshaft clearance..
Old 03-24-2012, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L i6

Originally Posted by weebur
I think that an engine "needing back pressure" is a myth. Why would there be a billion dollar industry dedicated to reducing back pressure (free flowing headers/cats/mufflers)? If I'm wrong please show me your reliable source.
Engines need back pressure, unless your running a big cam. Perfect example is my '66 Chevelle Malibu. I would run around on weekends with open headers, it killed the performance of the motor but it sounded mean as hell. But when I would run the exhaust (dual flow masters, no cats, x pipe) it would kill at the tracks(12.13 best time). Back pressure is no myth, it's needed for small cams. The motor will run with no back pressure , it's just you will lose tremendous amounts of power unless you got a big 'ol loppy cam in it. Don't believe me, unhook your exhaust and take it around the block. I bet you see a big differance. As far as companies out there , they make high performance exhausts for everyone from daily drivers to get a little more horsepower to drag strip cars who need open headers cause the exhaust restricts the motor. If back pressure is a myth go ahead and put 6" exhaust on your XJ and let us know how it goes...do your homework kid... better to not say anything and appear not to be dumb than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:10 AM

Can't wait for 5-90's response............
Old 03-24-2012, 11:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was recently covered in another thread. It's already been proven that no, naturally aspired motors don't need back pressure. It's all about flow control and velocity. Google backpressure myths, you'll see.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by cherokee90
Google "back pressure myths" and get WAY MORE FACTS than opinions.....there's just too many Ronnie Racers out there confusing fact with fiction. A IC motor is an air pump, the better the in/out, the more efficient.....but there's got to be some compromise with a DD streetable/legal ride. It doesn't need a cork in either end, but straight pipes do get a little annoying. LOL
Old 03-25-2012, 07:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Discussion of removal or alteration of the catalytic converter is strictly prohibited on tiss forum.

Read the rules.