Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Exaust coming from underside

Old 12-20-2014, 08:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6 4.0
Default Exaust coming from underside

Couldn't find through the search engine so I'm posting this year.

I have exhaust coming from the connection right before the cat.

Any idea what this could be? It's right at that u bolt.
Attached Thumbnails Exaust coming from underside-image-4285645883.jpg  
Old 12-20-2014, 08:26 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

That looks like corrosion. It usually has to be cut out and replaced. Or just replaced. That is the 'down pipe' portion of the exhaust and costs about $45.
Not sure, judging by the picture, if the inlet on catalytic converter is salvageable.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:28 AM
Beach Bum

^ I might need to correct my post because that is the muffler in the picture. Also not the down pipe.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:55 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
^ I might need to correct my post because that is the muffler in the picture. Also not the down pipe.
Here is a few better pics.

The angle of the picture is from the passenger front looking toward the rear of the xj
Attached Thumbnails Exaust coming from underside-image-1200120868.jpg   Exaust coming from underside-image-3386483983.jpg   Exaust coming from underside-image-3756836257.jpg  
Old 12-20-2014, 09:05 AM
Beach Bum

OK, it is the short pipe between cat and muffler, correct?
That may require a muffler shop. They can weld on a new section of pipe, IF the cat and muffler still has structural integrity.
I suggest looking over the rest of exhaust for more corrosion. If there is more in various locations, it may be better to replace the entire exhaust. But if it just that one spot, a shop would make quick work of it.

Repairing that one section yourself with just clamps would likely still leak, needs to be brazed on or welded, and clamped.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I must agree it looks as id a complete exhaust system may be in order, you have serious rust problems there. I bet you will need all new hangers also but for everything not much cost.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I must agree it looks as id a complete exhaust system may be in order, you have serious rust problems there. I bet you will need all new hangers also but for everything not much cost.
So would you say just take it to say Mieneke and get a quote for a complete exaust system replacement?

Do you have an idea on what that cost could look like?
Old 12-20-2014, 02:40 PM
Seasoned Member

From what I found, I can get a system with a cat for around 350$. So I would say 400$ Total for a shop to do it?
Old 12-20-2014, 02:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You should shop around for a good independent exhaust garage. I just got my exhaust replaced from behind the cat from a local guy who does custom exhausts. Came out the door for under 250 and he had to weld on a piece to the cat to make the connection. That's not bad. It was finished by the time I walked back with a coffee. No rust in the eyes. Check out anyone in your area that does custom work as they may be into exhaust fabrication.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Orlo
You should shop around for a good independent exhaust garage. I just got my exhaust replaced from behind the cat from a local guy who does custom exhausts. Came out the door for under 250 and he had to weld on a piece to the cat to make the connection. That's not bad. It was finished by the time I walked back with a coffee. No rust in the eyes. Check out anyone in your area that does custom work as they may be into exhaust fabrication.
I give that a look. Thank you!
Old 12-20-2014, 03:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 renix

Wrote this up awhile back in case you decide to do it yourself (by all means if you can get a good price at a shop, it'd be worth it) but particularly if you can save the catalytic converter and front pipe, I would consider doing it yourself:

I've done the exhaust (entire system) on a 96 and on an 89 in my parking spot for less than half the price it would have costed me at a muffler shop around me.

Exhaust work is easy to do, particularly if you are only replacing everything BEHIND the cat. On these XJ's the front pipe and cat aren't all that hard to do, since at least they're not y pipes, but then you gotta do the o2 sensors too at that point.

You'll probably need at least an angle grinder/cutoff wheel to separate the old exhaust, or you can try to manage with a flathead/chisel and a hammer to split the old pipe off the inner pipe. A cordless angle grinder is a must have in my opinion., and makes much quicker work of this. You cut a quick line down the outer pipe (without cutting into the inside pipe) and then pry it apart with a flathead, then just wrestle it back and forth until it separates.

If the pipe in front of the muffler connecting to the cat is good - then you don't need that. If you do, buy one, it's called an intermediate pipe. If the muffler is shot, buy a new one, will be no more than $30. The tail pipe will be no more than $20-30 as well. Always buy exhaust parts at a local store, online isn't worth it for exhaust parts cuz of shipping. Just get Walker or whatever cheap OEM crap they have - it doesn't matter.

You will need U clamps, which are like $2-3 a piece at the auto store, just figure out how many you need to connect them, and what diameter - DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE CLAMPS, YOU WILL CUT THROUGH THE PIPE.

Another thing you will have to look at is the state of your rear hangers holding your tailpipe up, which always rust out completely on these xj's - at least the back one. If there is still a hanger there, it might be the only one left on any xj in existence - but if not, plumber's strap (metal strapping) and a clamp will work fine. You can buy the OEM hanger, but might have to mess with the bolts and crap and it can be a PITA. Make sure the front hook that holds the front of the tailpipe is in good shape (you'll see a rubber hanger holding the built-on hook on the exhaust pipe up to the built-on hook on the jeep) - this hook is usually ok, and you can just re-use the rubber piece, if the rubber piece is shot - get one at the store for <$10.

The only annoying part is "snaking" the tail pipe over the rear axle and getting it into place - it's kind of awkward, and it can help if you jack up the rear behind the axle somehow, that's what I always do to get more clearance.

Last edited by Stabsthedrama; 12-20-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:10 PM
Beach Bum

^ I agree with Orlo, skip Mieneke and find an independent shop.
And if you will be purchasing your own parts for them to install, ask them if they do that. Some shops will only install parts they provide for a number of reasons, one being they can charge a percentage on said parts.
A trustworthy shop will determine if you need to replace the whole system or just that connection. Consider visiting one for their opinion and a free estimate.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Stabsthedrama
Wrote this up awhile back in case you decide to do it yourself (by all means if you can get a good price at a shop, it'd be worth it) but particularly if you can save the catalytic converter and front pipe, I would consider doing it yourself: I've done the exhaust (entire system) on a 96 and on an 89 in my parking spot for less than half the price it would have costed me at a muffler shop around me. Exhaust work is easy to do, particularly if you are only replacing everything BEHIND the cat. On these XJ's the front pipe and cat aren't all that hard to do, since at least they're not y pipes, but then you gotta do the o2 sensors too at that point. You'll probably need at least an angle grinder/cutoff wheel to separate the old exhaust, or you can try to manage with a flathead/chisel and a hammer to split the old pipe off the inner pipe. A cordless angle grinder is a must have in my opinion., and makes much quicker work of this. You cut a quick line down the outer pipe (without cutting into the inside pipe) and then pry it apart with a flathead, then just wrestle it back and forth until it separates. If the pipe in front of the muffler connecting to the cat is good - then you don't need that. If you do, buy one, it's called an intermediate pipe. If the muffler is shot, buy a new one, will be no more than $30. The tail pipe will be no more than $20-30 as well. Always buy exhaust parts at a local store, online isn't worth it for exhaust parts cuz of shipping. Just get Walker or whatever cheap OEM crap they have - it doesn't matter. You will need U clamps, which are like $2-3 a piece at the auto store, just figure out how many you need to connect them, and what diameter - DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE CLAMPS, YOU WILL CUT THROUGH THE PIPE. Another thing you will have to look at is the state of your rear hangers holding your tailpipe up, which always rust out completely on these xj's - at least the back one. If there is still a hanger there, it might be the only one left on any xj in existence - but if not, plumber's strap (metal strapping) and a clamp will work fine. You can buy the OEM hanger, but might have to mess with the bolts and crap and it can be a PITA. Make sure the front hook that holds the front of the tailpipe is in good shape (you'll see a rubber hanger holding the built-on hook on the exhaust pipe up to the built-on hook on the jeep) - this hook is usually ok, and you can just re-use the rubber piece, if the rubber piece is shot - get one at the store for <$10. The only annoying part is "snaking" the tail pipe over the rear axle and getting it into place - it's kind of awkward, and it can help if you jack up the rear behind the axle somehow, that's what I always do to get more clearance.
I had thought about doing it myself as I have not had to take it to anyone yet. I have been able to do it all myself. Exhaust seemed like a bear for someone who has never done this stuff before but I said the same thing about my first brake job and alternator replacement. I am going to get an estimate from a few local places that I can find and see what the trade off will be as far as my time and their cost. Thanks so much everyone. I love this forum simply because of people trying to help each other out.