Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Exact model / modifications?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Question Exact model / modifications?

Hey guys

Newbie here. First post!

During covid lockdown last year I purchased a lovely red, 1998 XJ - RHD as I live in the UK.

Since then I've had a few repairs carried out by the local mechanics, and each time we've found that the usual part numbers for components don't quite fit my model.

So I'm wondering if my XJ is either (a) some kind of very limited edition model, or (b) has been modified. I'm hoping someone on here has the knowledge to educate me

Two quick examples:

I had to replace the core plugs (expansion plugs) on the engine block, because they were corroding. I used P/N J3105394, which I took straight from the 1998 parts doc (attached). But the plugs didn't fit. Too large apparently.

Then, shortly afterwards, I had the radiator replaced and, again, the one I ordered didn't quite fit, even though I definitely ordered the RHD version and even though the eBay seller confirmed it would fit, based on the VIN number. Again. I used the P/N from the document (52028537), but the mechanic told me that he had to make some small modifications in order to make it fit. For example, using washers to space some things off and grinding down one of the pipes because it was touching a part of the cowling.

Undoubtedly I'll have more work to do on this beauty in the coming years, so it would be very helpful to understand the exact model and engine type, in if I've picked up something that's unique in any way or if there's any specific mods I should be looking for. I've tried using the VIN decoder on this site, but it came back with an error, saying there was no results. And VIN decoders on other sites return results that are a bit lacking.

My VIN number is 1J4FJB8S4WL242848 and I've included some photographs. Yes I know my headlights are not original

Many thanks in advance!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1998xj_PARTS_FICHE.pdf (7.90 MB, 64 views)
Old 10-16-2021, 09:55 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,252 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

They didn't make the 4.0 engine with different size freeze plugs for sure. Gotta be some cataloging issues.
The following users liked this post:
Curly Scotsman (10-16-2021)
Old 10-16-2021, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by cruiser54
They didn't make the 4.0 engine with different size freeze plugs for sure. Gotta be some cataloging issues.
Thanks for the quick response @cruiser54

The ones I bought were 2". At least that's what they were advertised as (https://jeepey.com/product/expansion-plug-2-j3105394/)

I didn't actually see them myself, so I guess they could have sent the wrong part. But that doesn't explain the radiator issue?
Old 10-16-2021, 10:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by cruiser54
All the freeze out plug are the same size?
Cause it looks like 3 different part numbers depending on location.
The following users liked this post:
Curly Scotsman (10-16-2021)