Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Aftermarket fitment Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 03:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Thumbs down Aftermarket fitment Review

Decided I wanted to Jeep to have a somewhat finished look. I was missing the left side marker and the surround was cracked. The right side was there but who wants to replace just one side. So I ordered the surrounds and markers from Rock Auto (I know they don't manufacture them) part numbers below.
Headlamp Door
CH2512124 {#5BL63KW7, 5DV51TZZ} - Left
CH2513124 {#5BL62KW7, 5DV54TZZ}- Right

Side Marker Lamp Assembly
CH2551113 {#56000111} - Left
CH2551113 {#56000110} - Right

Everything came in so it's time to test fit. First glance they look close to factory parts. Put the first lens to the new surround and it doesn't even fit. Similar shape but not even close to fitting. So I gram the factory parts and the lens won't fit there either. Same for the other side. Time to take the surrounds out and see how they line up to the grille and body. Well, they secure to one side or the other but you can't get all the screws in because the holes have this extra plastic on the back. So after about 15 attempt of trimming and fitting and trimming and fitting I was finally able to grind the pieces down enough to work. We'll see how well they last on the trail when the body starts to flex. I am going to buy new, longer, screws so I can leave the parts a little loose so they can move some and hopefully that will help.
It'l work for mine because it's an off road only and I don't even need them but for someone that is trying to get their rig back in road worthy condition and wants the parts to fit/look right - do not bother. Even the openings for the lamps were slightly off shape form both the aftermarket and factory.

TL/DR - The headlight surrounds and marker lamps from Rock Auto need work to fit. Grinding and trimming and still look off. They are definitely the economy line as stated.

I wanted to leave a review for the actual parts on RA but couldn't find a way.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:42 PM

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not surprised.

I recently bought Crown Automotive front corner lenses for my 87, just a couple months ago. I think the same as your 93, and they *did* fit ..but kind of like crap, compared to the originals. The main issue is they didn't fit 'flush' like the originals did. They protruded on the front edge by about 1/8" or so ...just enough that if I were wheeling, a branch could get under and rip them off. My tk hasn't been wrecked and all the other trim is original. Other than the sticking out a little on the edge, they looked good in all other ways. Why don't these companies make a prototype and try fitment on a few different Jeeps BEFORE they 'go-live' with their product. I mean they went 95% of the way, why not spend the 5% extra effort and make a no-holds-barred quality product? I have used some aftermarket items in the past on other vehicles which did fit well, but these days it's more the exception than the rule.

Sorry to hear about your corner trim.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepwalker
Sorry to hear about your corner trim.
Not a huge deal for me, it is a trail rig. I just didn't want someone else to spend the $$ and time and find out the fitment is less that OK. They do have others, maybe they actually fit better.

The worst part is the web page says
  • CAPA CERTIFIED parts bear the seal of the Certified Automotive Parts Association guaranteeing fit and quality equal to original equipment. These parts may be required if your insurance company is paying for the repair.
Couldn't be too much farther form the truth.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 liter

Thanks for the product review that is complete with part numbers. May save someone a lot of grief later down the road. Only thing I could ask for is a picture of the finished fit and finish.

Thanks Again.
TexasTaz38
Old 02-18-2019, 05:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

On my '96 I used to own the CH2551113 part number one was busted. Or maybe it was the other side.
Napa sells them. Want to say I paid $10 for it.
To be frank I just screwed it in and never gave it another thought.
But I don't recall anything jumping out at me about the fit.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:53 PM

Ralph77 - Probably the difference in the $3 and $10 parts. My lights would not even fit without trimming.

texastaz39 - That's fair. Here you go.
Pics are kind of tough, hopefully you can see the gaps are not even around the lights. I was able to get the surrounds to fit pretty good to the body using the Dremel to get rid of the high spots that were in the way.